The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Some asked if there was a concept for MKIV Supra. So here you go.

scan001.jpg
scan002.jpg
scan003.jpg
scan004.jpg
scan005.jpg

Sitting at Toyota HQ in Torrance at the Toyota museum.

scan006.jpg
scan007.jpg
scan008.jpg

FT-1's Turn

Early sketches

scan009.jpg
scan010.jpg

A little closer

scan011.jpg

scan012.jpg

scan013.jpg

Scans From MotorTrend

scan014.png

scan015.png

scan017.png

scan018.png

scan019.png

scan020.png

scan021.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5
Never even thought of what the mkiv concept looked like but interesting to see how more sophisticated and intricate car design has gotten with the MKV concept. Its so much better looking too.

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
Still a beautiful car for its time. I read comments online and a few criticisms are the FT1 is too stylized. I love it but I can see where they are coming from. The MKIV looked great while being pretty simple design wise. Addition by subtraction kind of thing..

FT1freddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S
My favorite improvement over the MKIV is how short the FT-1 overhangs are. Most cars look sportier and aggressive this way.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
interesting to see how the MKIV started out. the production car looks way better imo.

Mr. M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FIT
That MKIV concept sitting in the museum reminds me of the Mazda MX6 a bit. The front end at least.

scan006-jpg.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-01-05 at 12.36.50 PM.jpg

Mr. M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FIT
You know what I'm surprised they didn't put on the FT-1 concept is some kind of round tail lights which are pretty iconic on the Supra MKIV.
Maybe we'll see it return for the production model design"?

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I like FT-1's taillights. Speaking of the MKIV; someone photo shopped them onto FT-1 and it just didn't look right.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
I like FT-1's taillights. Speaking of the MKIV; someone photo shopped them onto FT-1 and it just didn't look right.
Yea the MKV Supra wouldn't look right at all with round lights. Need something angular to look modern.
Just like how the C7 Corvette Stingray wouldn't look right with the classic round Corvette tail lights.

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Yea the MKV Supra wouldn't look right at all with round lights. Need something angular to look modern.
Just like how the C7 Corvette Stingray wouldn't look right with the classic round Corvette tail lights.
I actually like the C6's taillights on the C7, and they even made a kit for it lol. I also think it works better because there isn't such a huge gap with the Corvette unlike with the Supra. You just can't take body parts straight off of a 90s car like the MKIV and stick onto a fresh design like the FT-1 and expect it to work very well.

round-tail-light-kit-for-2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray--image-corvette-italia_100417598_l.jpg

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Round taillights look great on Nissan GT-R, all of Ferrari's lineup, etc., but I like the departure for this new Supra.

Personally I still haven't gotten over the terrible taillights on the Corvette (really just a terrible rear end in general). Way to cheapen the image of your product by eschewing long tradition and making it look like all of the thousands of Camaros and even the Chevy Volt... but I've already ranted too much.

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Round taillights look great on Nissan GT-R, all of Ferrari's lineup, etc., but I like the departure for this new Supra.

Personally I still haven't gotten over the terrible taillights on the Corvette (really just a terrible rear end in general). Way to cheapen the image of your product by eschewing long tradition and making it look like all of the thousands of Camaros and even the Chevy Volt... but I've already ranted too much.
X2, I hate the C7's taillight. I have also seen a few of them in person, and it doesn't look any better in real life either.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
IMO, those C6 taillights look way better than the C7.

pbj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Kia

I don't like the C7 rear overall. Looks straight out a transformers movie to me.

Fan of the FT-1 rear lights. Love how it's part of the bodywork and appears organically in the rear bumper folds. Round lights would have looked weird and outta place with this design IMHO.
Sponsored