The Supra. What should have been // Share your thoughts

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
Before I start most of these topics Ill be mentioning are purely my opinion.

1. The supra should've came with an S58

2. It should have never ever been a z4 chassis. More like an M2

3. The supra is a better BMW. However, BMW is blackballing Toyota

4. The reason why Toyota didn't make their own engine (Theorizing)

5. Unrealistic thoughts

1. This is purely my opinion, but the supra power train should have been a S58 which is a beefier B58. Yes I know that our platform is more than capable, yes the single turbo is more fun, yes you can reach a 1000HP on a built engine, yes the 100 missing hp can literally be fixed with a few mods that don't even cost that much. However, the supra should have came with that 503hp S58 it just makes more sense to me to have the beefiest and one of the best straight 6 engines in the world in a supra (I'm aware the B58 is up there with that S58), its one of the better ways to succeed and live up to its predecessor the Mk4. P.S it just sounds better

2. I really don't get why Toyota agreed with the z4 chassis. It always should have been that M2. I don't wanna sit and compare most of you here probably know wassup.

3. Now when the supra launched we all know it was the 335 hp and nobody liked that. Then it was bumped up to 382 hp. The supra is definitely an over achieving straight 6. The M240i xDrive, and the M340i where such cars blessed with this engine. the M240i and the M340i weigh about the same but the M240i has all wheel drive giving it the advantage in a quarter mile, they still are pretty close though. M240i 12.1 Seconds, M340i 12.3. However what I don't get is why the supra lands in the middle at 12.2 Seconds. They do have the same 382 hp and the same zf transmission, but BUT it has shorter gears than the BMW's. The supra has a 3.15 rear axle, the BMW's have 2.81 so the supra has faster acceleration, and this is before accounting for the big question mark which is that the supra weighs 480 POUNDS LESS. In no world do both BMW's keep up with that supra it makes 0 sense. Now this is just speculating, but I think that BMW is blackballing Toyota on a few things. That's also probably why the supra does not come with the S58.

4. The old supra's up the Mk3 were meh tbh. Even though the Mk3 introduced the 1jz and the Mk4 introduced the 2jz, they were pretty unsuccessful. The Mk2 pulled off the most sales with 114,459 units sold. The Mk3 almost matched it with 108,565. The Mk4 however, did not do so well 12,059. Now you might be wondering how such a loved car today did not do so well. As I mentioned before the campaign up until the Mk3 was pretty much meh the Mk3 did hit it on the nose with the turbo being introduced, but back then these cars were not so popular as they are today. They only gained notoriety over time especially with the Fast and Furious series being one of the sole reasons why it launched into stardom after it stopped being produced. Income the next chapter the LFA. One of the most under appreciated cars produced by Lexus I.E Toyota. However it failed miserably even though it was the perfect icing on the cake. naturally aspirated 4.8-litre V10 engine with a flat crank giving you an amazing sound. 10 years in development went down the drain when the campaign failed, and just as before it only gained notoriety after it failed and production stopped. So as you can see Toyota's profile with sports car is not looking so hot. That's probably the reason why Toyota partnered with BMW is to play it safe and not waste millions on developing a new engine, and on the positive side of things BMW produces one of the best preforming straight six engines in the world today, so it wasn't as bad of a deal for Toyota.

5. I'm just gonna start this off by saying the supra should have multiple trims rather than 2 make it 4. The current 2 standing one's The B58 ,B48 and then provide the S58 engine as an option. Finally have that sweet sweet F90. I just cant imagine how fun it would be to have a Twin Turbo V8 in that supra. Yes it doesn't make sense to have a V8 in a supra, but I'm just having fun with this one.

P.S I know the current supra is less of a cash grab or a profit maker and more of a passion project giving the people what they want. I'm not hating on the supra these are just my thoughts and opinions. I own one myself and I love everything about it.
Sponsored

kaiv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46, E39
Before I start most of these topics Ill be mentioning are purely my opinion.

1. The supra should've came with an S58

2. It should have never ever been a z4 chassis. More like an M2
Another random shmuck's opinion:

1) I am very happy with the B58. Poor sound is one of the main reasons I sold my F80 M3. The S58 is a monster but lacks in that area and I personally don't think I could overlook that.

2) I also couldn't be happier that they chose this small-ish (relatively speaking) chassis. When I read opinions about people wishing the Supra had back seats, AWD (or the S58) I just don't get it. These larger heavier cars already exist, just get one of those instead (M240, M2, M3/4) There is nothing else the size and weight of the Supra that compares.

Brostradamus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Prem
2. I really don't get why Toyota agreed with the z4 chassis. It always should have been that M2. I don't wanna sit and compare most of you here probably know wassup.
This is a very common misconception. BMW did not offer Toyota a menu of platforms and say "Ja ja, just pick ze one you vant," the underpinnings of the Supra and Z4 were codeveloped together. Check out this YouTube video for a comprehensive overview of that effort:

After rewatching this when I linked to it, I was reminded that Toyota actually contributed to the development of the B58 as well.

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
Z4 chassis is better than M2 chassis. Probably unpopular opinion but I'm right and everyone else is wrong.
No you're correct
G87 wheel base is 11 inches longer
Toyota bench marked the 718 wheel base
The dimensions are eerily similar between the Porsche and the supra

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra

1) I am very happy with the B58. Poor sound is one of the main reasons I sold my F80 M3. The S58 is a monster but lacks in that area and I personally don't think I could overlook that.

2) I also couldn't be happier that they chose this small-ish (relatively speaking) chassis. When I read opinions about people wishing the Supra had back seats, AWD (or the S58) I just don't get it. These larger heavier cars already exist, just get one of those instead (M240, M2, M3/4) There is nothing else the size and weight of the Supra that compares.
I can understand the sound thing 1000%. I like how the V6 raptor is faster than the V8, but it sounds so much worse!

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Z4 chassis is better than M2 chassis. Probably unpopular opinion but I'm right and everyone else is wrong.
No experience with the G87 chassis, but the F87 chassis on Gran Turismo has a lot more body roll than I was comfortable with.

Also, this is probably ownership bias, but I preferred the power delivery of the B58 over the S58.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Another random thought..

I like the way my Supra is, as she is.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
My 2c.

1. Maybe but I don't think it matters all that much. The performance metrics are about right with the B58, lest it start competing with much more expensive cars. And Toyota didn't want that.

2. Not sure I agree with this one.

3. Don't agree with the first part. The second part, maybe. The parts bin used for the Supra's interior is good (better than any other Toyota) but instantly feels dated when you look at a MY23 BMW. I'd say that's by design.

4. Everything you said and $. I don't think this matters to be honest. Quality trumps branding.

5. GRMN. Not happening for regular folk. I mean it will happen, but it will be Japan only like the Yaris and very limited. Not an S58 but a tuned B58. I think this is obvious if we look at the Toyota playbook and stop dreaming. Targa is at 50% chance - Actually, it's probably a certainty since I've ordered a MY23. In fact, I predict it'll be announced as I take fucking delivery. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

1. I am happy with the B58 sounds, but was just mentioning so does the S58. Keeping in mind that you get a kit to fully open the stock valves.

2. I really don't care for back seats or AWD in fact, its just better being a two seater RWD. and definitely agree with you that nothing compares to the supra on the market rn. But as I mentioned before I'm just having fun with those thoughts nothing more

3. I'm no random shmuck, fool. lmao

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is a very common misconception. BMW did not offer Toyota a menu of platforms and say "Ja ja, just pick ze one you vant," the underpinnings of the Supra and Z4 were codeveloped together. Check out this YouTube video for a comprehensive overview of that effort:

After rewatching this when I linked to it, I was reminded that Toyota actually contributed to the development of the B58 as well.
I'm not saying that. I'm not under the impression that Toyota just handpicked any BMW and was like yes this is the one. I'm also aware that Toyota contributed to developing the B58 and the supra was co-developed rather than BMW just giving them everything and Toyota slapping a badge on the car. As mentioned before I'm just having fun with a bunch of thoughts I had about the supra

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My 2c.

1. Maybe but I don't think it matters all that much. The performance metrics are about right with the B58, lest it start competing with much more expensive cars. And Toyota didn't want that.

2. Not sure I agree with this one.

3. Don't agree with the first part. The second part, maybe. The parts bin used for the Supra's interior is good (better than any other Toyota) but instantly feels dated when you look at a MY23 BMW. I'd say that's by design.

4. Everything you said and $. I don't think this matters to be honest. Quality trumps branding.

5. GRMN. Not happening for regular folk. I mean it will happen, but it will be Japan only like the Yaris and very limited. Not an S58 but a tuned B58. I think this is obvious if we look at the Toyota playbook and stop dreaming. Targa is at 50% chance - Actually, it's probably a certainty since I've ordered a MY23. In fact, I predict it'll be announced as I take fucking delivery. :rolleyes:
1. it doesn't. I'm pretty sure everyone who owns the supra is happy with the B58

2. Well its pretty much its a yes or no type of thing cant say much there

3. Thats why I said probably BMW is blackballing Toyota on a few things. This is just speculation.

4. Still wonder if more people would have gotten it if it were an updated 2j. 3j incoming??? lol

5. Yeah probably not happening. But having fun with it lol

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Another random thought..

I like the way my Supra is, as she is.
Bro why is everyone hitting me with that passive aggressive tone. Lmaaaoooo

It's just my opinions and thoughts I own one too and love it more every single day
Sponsored