Throttle hesitation

calebc

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra mkv
Hello all, this is my first post. I experienced this issue a few times in mine 2022 3.0 with about 800 miles on it. As others have mentioned, it happened when trying to accelerate from a stop. The car would lag, I step harder on the gas, and then it would accelerates rapidly. It happened 1 time with my female parental unit in the passenger, she looked at me like "wtf are you doing?" This would happen after I take a 15-20 minutes drive, turn off the car, and would lag when I try to accelerate from a stop. Just thought I add my experience to the thread.

Happy holidays to everybody!
yep, its pretty dangerous sometimes. its either on cold start or when ive been driving for a while then make a quick stop and restart.
Sponsored

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Question to those who believe their throttle hesitation is not due to slippery roads and TC -

Did it start before or after the brake safety recall?

Mine started after the safety recall. I also have run a log on my car, and during the momentary throttle hesitation, I observed that the RPM drops below idle, and fuel rail pressure dropped slightly. Pedal can be seen to be depressed. And then after about 2 secs the fuel pressure kicks back up.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hello all, this is my first post. I experienced this issue a few times in mine 2022 3.0 with about 800 miles on it. As others have mentioned, it happened when trying to accelerate from a stop. The car would lag, I step harder on the gas, and then it would accelerates rapidly.
i know the usual instinct is to give it more gas or step on the brakes. My first instinct is to stop the car. But now that I can almost anticipate when it will happen, if traffic permits, I hold on the gas and the power kicks back in in 2 seconds. I donā€™t think it necessarily needs more pedal pressure.

That said, when it happened to me trying to move off a slope, the rpmā€™s were jumping so much, I thought the engine was gonna die.

yep, its pretty dangerous sometimes. its either on cold start or when ive been driving for a while then make a quick stop and restart.
I have had it happen on cold start, and also warm starts (parked for an hour). But usually within 5-10 mins of starting the car. Heck, it happened as I was driving it back from the workshop after they released the car for use.

Drive safe everyone. This is a real safety concern.

Last edited:

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Question to those who believe their throttle hesitation is not due to slippery roads and TC -

Mine started after the safety recall. I also have run a log on my car, and during the momentary throttle hesitation, I observed that the RPM drops below idle, and fuel rail pressure dropped slightly. Pedal can be seen to be depressed. And then after about 2 secs the fuel pressure kicks back up.
It has happened before and after the recall update. And I agree that there is no need to step on the gas harder, it does come back to normal after a couple seconds.

frankenm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
Same experience here ...

So far this has only happened twice and almost made me not purchase the car as it happened on the test drive

It is always from a stop and car comes back to life after a few seconds

The first time it happened on was when I started the test drive I just figured it was from the dealership not starting the car and moving it enough but happened again a week ago after sitting at railroad track for a bit so something is up here

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL

Same as others, in that it's happened before AND after the recall re-flash.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra

Before and after - but before the recall my car was barely driven as a daily. After the recall and driving the car more regularly it happens almost once every drive with different observed circumstances. I really donā€™t like it.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
I've never noticed this issue while driving. I have noticed it during start up. Sometimes it won't Rev when depressed and will just die on cold start. Snorkel snorkel dead kinda thing like so many have experienced.
No recall done yet.
FBO car, I guess I haven't noticed it since leaving stock. Will see this spring when she comes out of hibernation once again.

RN1997

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Premium
I agree with it being software related. I also believe the car is pre-acting with the TC. For me the car acts perfectly normal in normal or sport mode until I lose traction the first time after start up. Once that happens then itā€™s like the car assumes the conditions are bad and it pulls power until at least 2000 to 2500 rpm from a stop. If I push the TC once the car acts normal.
Yes, I found out my car is smarter than I am. We finally had snow (and a lot of it) recently here in Tennessee. I thought my car was broken. But it was the TC software trying to keep me from spinning out.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, I found out my car is smarter than I am. We finally had snow (and a lot of it) recently here in Tennessee. I thought my car was broken. But it was the TC software trying to keep me from spinning out.
I believe thatā€™s normal if youā€™re driving in slippery conditions. Not the same as the hesitation on dry roads.

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
This happens in my vehicle as well. Mine hasn't been recall flashed yet.
I noticed it happens in two occasions. All were in dry conditions, hot or cold outside.

1. After a long drive and coming to a standstil/stop to wait for traffic, etc. (I've had it multiple times at the same exact location)
2. When driving the car less than a kilometer (< 0.6mile) and also coming ot a standstill/stop waiting for traffic.

I think it is quite dangerous this happens and have a feeling this might result in another recall (software flash) later on.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This happens in my vehicle as well. Mine hasn't been recall flashed yet.
I noticed it happens in two occasions. All were in dry conditions, hot or cold outside.

1. After a long drive and coming to a standstil/stop to wait for traffic, etc. (I've had it multiple times at the same exact location)
2. When driving the car less than a kilometer (< 0.6mile) and also coming ot a standstill/stop waiting for traffic.

I think it is quite dangerous this happens and have a feeling this might result in another recall (software flash) later on.
i just had it happen to me again today. At a Uturn on a busy roadā€¦ I suddenly had no power as cars were closing in on me.

mine typically occurs within the first 500m of driving after startup, cold or warm starts, dry roads. Only once it occurred twice in the same drive. Both hesitations within 1 km of startup. I honestly canā€™t tell if itā€™s mechanical or software related. But my sensor readings show the fuel rail pressure is too low at those moments.

curious, how are your local dealers addressing this? Mine has gone completely quiet, long past the ETA for a replacement part, no update on the alleged escalation to HQ. I feel like they are hoping the problem (or the Owner) will disappear.

BoostLyfe

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Toyota supra
I have about 20k miles on my 2021 happened more frequently in the beginning still happens but, very rare. A few times it has been dangerous. I have a good feel on if the car is going to do it or not now. Still love the car and plan on buying another one before they are done making them.

LoveSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90 - 2019
I had this issue with my car when i first bought it and barely had any mileage.

I noticed especially when the car was cold that it would hesitate to move and rev higher than 2000 rpm for a good couple seconds after a stop.

It was incredibly frustrating as it would happened almost everyday. But I haven't had this issue since then. And I've had my car for almost 2 years.

I cant say what causes the issue, but I'm guessing it's how normal mode might be configured which is causing the issue.

However, this does not explain why the issue with my car went away if it is indeed software related. Which causes me to believe it may be hardware instead. But im not sure, and that's just my opinion from personal observation.

?

SkySupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0
I believe the cause of the throttle hesitation could be related to the traction control. I've been driving my car a lot lately dropping off and picking up my son from school and the weather is around low to mid single digit celsius (about 39F) in Vancouver these days. The car is still on PSS summer tires so it's not exactly the greatest traction in this weather. Anyway, whenever I'm in a complete stop and I try to make a 180 U-turn by cranking the wheel completely to one direction, I can guarantee that after I step on the gas the throttle would be almost completely cut for a few seconds until the car is going straight again. It's like the car is preventing me from doing a donut even when I'm gently pressing down on the gas.

Maybe it is sensing that the weather outside isn't the greatest and there isn't enough traction on the wheels. Either way I'll try testing the same procedure with TC off and see if it makes any difference this time.
Sponsored

Reactions: B54