Throttle hesitation

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I’m on this guys, I’m going to speaking with my factory rep this week and my goal is to get a name of someone that “civilians” can’t get. I know why this hasn’t been addressed, the people that hear about it aren’t the right people to talk to. I’ll keep you posted on my progress…
Sponsored

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
On a side note, while thinking about it, are there any people here that have the issue and have their vehicle completely stock (also Bimmercode/ECU-wise)?
Because maybe enabling the auto start-stop memory feature, like I did, with start-stop off, causes an ECU delay when touching the accelerator pedal?
I have had it happen a handful of times while bone stock. I am not anymore, and can't remember the last time I experienced any noticeable hesitation like before.

Reactions: B54

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
I’ve had it happen consistently in sport + traction mode. There’s a parking lot I occasionally am in that’s slightly downhill, and my rear tires are often on loose sand/gravel. When I go to leave, after backing out and putting the car in drive, there’s about a 33% chance I’ll experience the hesitation for the first 5 seconds or so of driving.

I live in the PNW, and have experienced the hesitation most after stopping when it’s dripping rain. That could be a total red herring, as that’s not an uncommon situation here, but I’ve twice (? Maybe 3x) had it happen after a cold start, driving about a mile to my closest petrol station, fueling up and then…embarrassment. Car either hesitates or stalls.

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
The head mechanic also mentioned there was a software update available. (Maybe the above mentioned Z4 update?). We made another appointment to bring the vehicle in and have it updated coming Tuesday. After the update he will again take some logs.
The vehicle has been updated to latest version: S18T-22-03-535.
Previous version: S18T-21-11-530.

Need some more road time to conclude if it has been fixed now.

I looked with the mechanic at the update within Toyota ISTA and there were no indications of a changelog. So it seems mechanics also don't really know what gets changed inside the ECU(s) coding with each update.

EDIT: Seems to be fixed after thousands of additional kilometers driven.

EDIT2: It happens again. Far far less often though. See: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/throttle-hesitation.8938/page-31#post-308004

Last edited:

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46

I looked with the mechanic at the update within Toyota ISTA and there were no indications of a changelog. So it seems mechanics also don't really know what gets changed inside the ECU(s) coding with each update.
Thanks for keeping us posted.
So they have run an update for you, but don’t really know what the update addresses?
When my dealer informed me of an upcoming update that should address my problem, they didn’t seem to know much more either. Just what HQ tells them. (And doesn’t seem like they inform anybody of much.)

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for keeping us posted.
So they have run an update for you, but don’t really know what the update addresses?
When my dealer informed me of an upcoming update that should address my problem, they didn’t seem to know much more either. Just what HQ tells them. (And doesn’t seem like they inform anybody of much.)
You're welcome. Least I can do to give back to this forum providing me with valuable information as well :)

Indeed. The update I mentioned was the latest and greatest according to the mechanic. The Toyota ISTA computers/laptops they use don't provide much information about the content of the updates, but do provide in-depth analyses of the update process itself (stuff that failed and such).

According to the mechanic, Toyota also doesn't provide much information. If extra information is requested by the mechanic it always needs to go through TME (Toyota Motor Europe). Which probably requests it again from Toyota engineers that hopefully have the information or need to request it from BMW AG again.

The mechanic said he gets informed about things that need to happen on the vehicle (i.e. Recalls and such).

With some hope, Toyota does get back to him requesting more information, or providing more information about the throttle hesitation issue as he also sees it as a safety risk. But I believe they will only have a good look at it when I come back with the same issue with this latest software update. I work in Quality Assurance/Testing and that is what I tend to get from developers from time to time if I haven't done that already 😅

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I suspect it has been fixed now. Only had about 800km road use since the update flash but never had it since.

I secretly hope by saying this I jinx the universe into making it happen again so I can be certain it wasn't fixed.

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Hey all, I don't have a solution but I believe I was able to find some progressive evidence. I have also occasionally had throttle hesitation/limp mode/no response, whatever you want to call it. Always from a complete stop, never in the middle of driving, usually on some kind of hill or grade.

I had this happen on my car yesterday while pulling out of my house, immediately stopped and pulled error codes via BimmerLink.

What I found was this error: E12C4D
"DSC interface (lane slope, 0x163): signal invalid"

To me, this says the Yaw sensor was freaking out for some reason and the car cut throttle as a result. This would be a normal response if say, the car flipped over. Here the car seems to not know it's orientation for a bit and defaults to disabling input. Not entirely sure what would cause the sensor go awry or how to resolve this, but definitely a starting point. Screenshot of my error attached

dsc_error.png

Michael-Dallas

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 4Runner
I used to have throttle hesitation for a few minutes after a start (cold or warm). After I disconnected the battery (to install JB Plus) and used a battery charger to top off the battery (Noco AGM charger), the throttle hesitation stopped.

Fuji808

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nocturnal Supra Premium
after two cold start stalls, i've been monitoring the effects of cold start with vsc off for the past 300 miles. so far, so good.

i still wait for the second rpm drop to 700 before driving.
i've noticed that with vsc initially off on cold start, the throttle control is more responsive...no hint of lag or hesitation. just don't forget to turn vsc on later.

my free oil change is on monday and i do hope they update the software

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
my free oil change is on monday and i do hope they update the software
The update can be quite a procedure. My Toyota mechanic took quite a few hours to comfortably and safely update the ecu. So I think you have to book a separate appointment.
Sponsored