Toyota GR Supra Races Into 2021 with More Power and First-Ever Four-Cylinder Turbo Model

noooooooo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 18 Golf GTI, 16 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR, 14 IS350 F-Sport (recently departed), 02 Jetta GLI (recently departed),
well... I'm just hoping the after market still keeps developing for ~3000 units of 2020MY cars... that would suck otherwise... but as long as improved and proven upgrades are still available for the 2020s when my warranty runs out, I'm fine.

Also, at least I'm hoping the silver lining will be that Toyota will start jacking up the price along with any upgrades through model years so it's less of a burn for 2020MY buyers... just like how Nissan started jacking up the prices to where GT-Rs are practically double the original starting price... I'm sure Supras won't be 80-90k at the end of its mk5 run... but still...

In truth, what will really really piss me off is if Toyota / BMW started offering Android Auto.. lol

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
well... I'm just hoping the after market still keeps developing for ~3000 units of 2020MY cars... that would suck otherwise... but as long as improved and proven upgrades are still available for the 2020s when my warranty runs out, I'm fine.

Also, at least I'm hoping the silver lining will be that Toyota will start jacking up the price along with any upgrades through model years so it's less of a burn for 2020MY buyers... just like how Nissan started jacking up the prices to where GT-Rs are practically double the original starting price... I'm sure Supras won't be 80-90k at the end of its mk5 run... but still...

In truth, what will really really piss me off is if Toyota / BMW started offering Android Auto.. lol
maybe it will be a future software update?

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
What would be nice is if Toyota offered a consolation (note that I don't even remotely believe this will happen) to the MY20 owners and do similar to what Intel offers in CPU overclocking support. In other words, you hand Toyota an extra ~$1-2K... and they cover every factory part regardless of tune and aftermarket upgrades. Hey, I can dream...

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I am hoping there will be more software updates to the 2020 for the infotainment system which includes more engine gauge read outs and etc.

I would be happy if they gave us some free caliper decals that look like the 2021 brake calipers lol. Haha

KingTai

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Ughh...another blow to the face. I guess I'll just wait until the last MKV supra release and trade in MY2020 for it. By that time the MY2020 would probably worth 30k and the last model would probably be a dumb price.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
Normally these power bumps would occur 3-5 years after the initial launch, but Toyota predicted that Supra sales would continue to decline if they didn't either a) decrease the price or b) increase the power. The easiest/cost effective way was to increase power. A possible third option if you could go back in time is to start the MY20 Supra at 45k and increase it by $500 each year or something like that.
This power bump was known to us in early-mid 2019, and obviously known to Toyota long before that. From what insiders have hinted at, Supra engine availability is largely riding on BMW's schedule. BMW itself releases power bumps on a 1-3 year timeline, independent of mid-model updates (what they call an LCI). So just based on BMW cycles alone, this is fairly normal. On top of that there may be politics between BMW and Toyota that govern who gets which engine first, etc. The 382HP engine was in the Z4 and new 3-series since spring 2019 and came to the X3 in August 2019. Having it come to the Supra a year later is a delay.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I primarily use mine as a daily driver and think it already has more than enough power and I love the quick torque response, which is more important to me....So I'm not so butt hurt over today's announcement...I'd rather be driving one now than having to wait for the next best thing to happen...

But I do wonder what the new price point will be for the 2021? If I were to guess I'd say they'll be asking +$60K for the new 3.0 and ~ $45K for the new 2.0...

Last edited:

Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
This news kinda sucks, but I'm still happy getting into my 2020 Supra and driving it. More than enough power and plenty of aftermarket options if you "want more power". I'm patiently waiting for GR performance upgrades or TRD performance upgrades offered at Toyota dealers.

Rogue13

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes-AMG A45, Toyota 86 GT
Better to piss off Supra owners than the millions of Camry owners!
True but not really concerned about Camry drivers however I would be totally livid if I bought a launch edition which was effectively a randomly issued Toyota US produced centre console badge and now within 6 months these significant technical, power and chassis upgrades come along.

As many have stated this should be no surprise and upgrades were widely rumoured pre-launch but early adaptors got kicked in the nuts – hard! Also given the fact that not all buyers spend time on forums or do extensive research and would had no idea what was about to happen.

I do feel like Toyota US in particular is taking its customers for a ride – red interior anyone. I bet in Aus and elsewhere A91 bits and paint will be upcharge options and not a special edition with additional mark-ups. Lets wait and see.

I personally welcome the “expected” upgrades and look forward to a 2021 purchase.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I primarily use mine as a daily driver and think it already has more than enough power and I love the quick torque response, which is more important to me....So I'm not so butt hurt over today's announcement...I'd rather be driving one now than having to wait for the next best thing to happen...
This. It was essentially the same thing with the RC-F... got mine and then they announced the "track edition" - though at a decent jump in MSRP. However, unlike was the case with that... I really enjoy driving my Supra ever day. It's faster in every way, more comfortable as well, and it was cheaper! I also wonder if the increase is real or mostly on paper... since even on stock tune the MY20's show more power than spec'd for the most part. Maybe the numbers on the MY21's are just more honest and the actual difference to the wheels is nominal at best. Time will tell...