Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Somehow I don't see 100K toyota with an S58 going on sale during a recession. If the GRMN does come i'd expect the latest B58 TU2 with port injection, sticky tires and some suspension tuning with nice badges.

To me a targa seems more realistic based on the platform.
I think you are on the money.
Sponsored

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
A targa will never happen because there's no feasible way to store the top in the hatch.

As for the GRMN... I think it's either not going to happen in a meaningful way, or at best (worst?) it will be a small batch limited edition and therefore unobtanium.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Tightening emissions standards and laws in EU will Govern what they can do with power/aero.

Hence I believe it will not be a hotter B58, probably an S58, but I doubt //M will give that up.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
GRMN will never have an ///M motor. If they build anything it will be JDM only and less than 500 units, if even that many. Its the 2023 model year. They do not have much time and if built will be final model year. Also aesthetics will be as much emphasized as the minor power bump will be. So it will be as much 'show' as 'go'.

StevesMK5

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE Nocturnal. 94 Mkiv Supra turbo renaissance red 6 speed Ram 3500 6.7 Jeep Wrangler l6
GRMN will never have an ///M motor. If they build anything it will be JDM only and less than 500 units, if even that many. Its the 2023 model year. They do not have much time and if built will be final model year. Also aesthetics will be as much emphasized as the minor power bump will be. So it will be as much 'show' as 'go'.
I believe it is very much possible it could get a M engine. because the B58 is in the same engine family as the S58. the car already shares the same transmissions differentials as M cars. Manufacturing this would not be hard because its utilizing BMW supply chain. I'm pretty sure M car big brake kits and suspension would bolt up to this chassis. Has anyone tried this? It would have to be newer G80 m3-m4-m2 parts. also has anyone swapped a S58 into a A90 chassis. I'm intrigued. If most of this stuff bolts up could it be a coincidence of what's to come.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I believe it is very much possible it could get a M engine. because the B58 is in the same engine family as the S58. the car already shares the same transmissions differentials as M cars. Manufacturing this would not be hard because its utilizing BMW supply chain. I'm pretty sure M car big brake kits and suspension would bolt up to this chassis. Has anyone tried this? It would have to be newer G80 m3-m4-m2 parts. also has anyone swapped a S58 into a A90 chassis. I'm intrigued. If most of this stuff bolts up could it be a coincidence of what's to come.
Also, Tetsuya Tada did cheekily ask in one of his public interviews a couple of years ago, "What would you think of the Supra with an S58 engine?"

The wording he used was very close to that. Of course he never mentioned it again.

Last edited:

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Also, Tetsuya Tada did cheekily ask in one of his public interviews a couple of years ago, "What would you think of the Supra with an S58 engine?"

The wording he used was very close to that. Of course he never mentioned it again.
I believe the S58 wasn't out yet (perhaps maybe he knew of it when it was in development) and he meant the S55 no?

But I'd rather have the S58 11 times out of 10. The S55 is just... mid...

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
Whether the power unit is a S55, S58 or just a tuned up B58, its (a spicier more hardcore Supra) coming

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I believe the S58 wasn't out yet (perhaps maybe he knew of it when it was in development) and he meant the S55 no?

But I'd rather have the S58 11 times out of 10. The S55 is just... mid...
No, the S58 was out in a BMW M or two by that point-- probably quite new then but already on sale. He referenced the S58 engine specifically in that interview but only with that cryptic question and from that point on wouldn't say any more about it.

Tada-san would certainly have insider knowledge of the BMW release timeline for the S58 engine even if he couldn't launch his sportscar with that engine.

It would be inconceivable that he hadn't done a test mule MKV with that engine in it by now and initially designed the chassis around both it and both variants of the B58.

As to how the inter-manufacturer politics of offering an S58 powered Supra in limited numbers works out...?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine a re-worked head on the B58ā€¦..wouldnā€™t that be amazing? :hmm:

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
No, the S58 was out in a BMW M or two by that point-- probably quite new then but already on sale. He referenced the S58 engine specifically in that interview but only with that cryptic question and from that point on wouldn't say any more about it.

Tada-san would certainly have insider knowledge of the BMW release timeline for the S58 engine even if he couldn't launch his sportscar with that engine.

It would be inconceivable that he hadn't done a test mule MKV with that engine in it by now and initially designed the chassis around both it and both variants of the B58.

As to how the inter-manufacturer politics of offering an S58 powered Supra in limited numbers works out...?
Ah I see, you're referring to the X3 M and X4 M.
Sponsored