Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
Were they offering the 718 GT4 at MSRP or were they also going to charge ADM on that? Just out of curiosity, other than the experience (and obviously cost), is there a reason you went Supra over the 718 GT4? That imo is a perfect dual purpose car. I'd pick one up if i could find one in my spec without ADM or even used reasonably priced, but i've pretty much accepted thats not going to happen in the current market 😖.
I waited 9 months with a 10k deposit. I wasn't about to wait again for them to potentially do the same thing again. This was all only a few months prior to covid escalating the market. I want to say the GT4 they had spec'd hit around an 96k sticker. I'm not sure if that was my OTD price of just bait on a hook.

Supra. Easy. Style, power potential, cheap insurance, reliabilty, a smaller brand tax, without an extremely out of the way trip exotic dealership for parts or service in the midwest.
I've enough project cars as-is. I swung for the 911 over the 718 for a few reasons. Mainly being engine and the the gearing of the manual being too tall. Decided to grab the 911, every bell and whistle including paint to sample.
Even if I think the Cayman has the correct engine placement, (note: the new GT4RS wow,) I didn't want to feel like I should have went with the 911 because I wanted to spend less of. Go for broke.

Ideally, I want to get back down to 2 cars and 2 bikes. Right now the Supra doesn't look like it will be making the cut. I hope that is simply because I prefer manuals and less tech features as a focus. Both which the GRMN should aleviate. The 718/991 delimia is also why I haven't put anymore money into my '21.
Sponsored

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
This is also how I got the Supra... had an allocation for a GT3 and was passed up. I'm pretty sure they marked the car up double and went with someone else who would pay it. They offered a 911T or a 781 GT4. Whole experience pissed me off and still salty. Happily went to Toyota afterwards.

As for the GT4. A track only car isn't very usable to me these days. I've got a BRZ that I went that route already in the garage I'm thinking of selling.

A GRMN that can be dual purposed is not really the same market as the Supra GT4
I had two dealerships recently do this to me.
They both pushed the F1 Edition Vantage while telling me it has the same body styling as the V12 Vantage (it fucking doesn't) just without the V12 engine. Do people really fall for these bait and switch sales pitches?

I will never give any dealership another interest free loan just for a chance to get a car.

Fuck dealerships.

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
I had two dealerships recently do this to me.
They both pushed the F1 Edition Vantage while telling me it has the same body styling as the V12 Vantage (it fucking doesn't) just without the V12 engine. Do people really fall for these bait and switch sales pitches?

I will never give any dealership another interest free loan just for a chance to get a car.

Fuck dealerships.
Let me know what you're looking for and I can get you.

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is also how I got the Supra... had an allocation for a GT3 and was passed up. I'm pretty sure they marked the car up double and went with someone else who would pay it. They offered a 911T or a 781 GT4. Whole experience pissed me off and still salty. Happily went to Toyota afterwards.

As for the GT4. A track only car isn't very usable to me these days. I've got a BRZ that I went that route already in the garage I'm thinking of selling.

A GRMN that can be dual purposed is not really the same market as the Supra GT4
Let me know if you are looking for something I can source for you.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
These low volume cars do nothing for me. I tried my hardest to get an allocation for the new Vantage and this is going to be more of the same shit.

Even if you have a "deposit", if your dealership gets 0 allocations then you're out of luck. Even if they get 1 or 2 allocations your deposit means jack shit.

If the GRMN ever comes to fruition, the most action 90% of these cars will ever see is a ride to cars and coffee.

If you can't tell, I'm pretty salty at the moment.
100. I'll be disappointed but not surprised if GRMN ends up being artificially limited and hyper-priced (if it's even built, which I sort of doubt). The whole artificial constraint trend that Ford and others are pursuing is a money giveaway to dealers but customer-hostile, which I think is bad for the manufacturer in the long term. Customers tend to have long memories when you treat them badly.

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
100. I'll be disappointed but not surprised if GRMN ends up being artificially limited and hyper-priced (if it's even built, which I sort of doubt). The whole artificial constraint trend that Ford and others are pursuing is a money giveaway to dealers but customer-hostile, which I think is bad for the manufacturer in the long term. Customers tend to have long memories when you treat them badly.
I'll drive the tires off

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'd be ok if you can select 2wd like on M3 comp. Surely some added weight but if the car had awd I'd have been more inclined to drive it in stinky Michigan weather

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
^^ It's just a very odd rumor. The MKV/Z4 chassis wasn't ever designed with AWD in mind to the best of my knowledge. Further, Tetsuya Tada seemed to be adamant that his car only come exclusively in a RWD configuration.

It still remains to be seen what engine the GRMN will use but I can see limited numbers of the S58 with 500whp+ being fitted in there (if BMW actually allows them to do it). An xDrive system though? Where is there room to fit all of that extra hardware up front? To say nothing of violating the ethos and intention behind the car's design in the first place.

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Not sure if anyone has already posted about this but it was posted on a BMW forum the other day.
M2 in camo but also next to a Supra in camo.
Anyone think this could be the special version with the S58?
01666896949.jpeg
Were there anymore pics?

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I think it would be a little odd to add a manual to the low selling 2.0 and especially with only 2 model years left.
Sponsored