Toyota Supra finally spied testing Stateside!

BRZer86

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Jaguar XJL Portfolio

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
That’s odd, the vents on the fender and by the door are either covered up or gone.
This is one of the older prototype mules that is covered in fake body cladding. This is common practice to obscure the shape of prototype vehicles. The reason that this mule still has the cladding is likely because this is a long term reliability tester, thus there are no aero concerns as it is not lapping any circuits. This car simply will drive many many thousands of miles in a wide variety of terrains and conditions in order to validate drivetrain and suspension longevity.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Has anyone seen any of the newer mules/prototypes in the USA yet? It seems like they're pretty much all still the earlier mules.

I could be wrong.

Jeff

FirstStateCamber

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 MKIV Supra, 09' 997.1TT, 15' Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't followed the order of the prototypes but its likely an older version or a base version, due to the missing bits. Front chin spoiler and side skirts are also not there, or so it appears...

dshandy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Chevy Camaro SS, 2014 Audi A5
I was reading into Toyota's different test tracks and noticed that they have a proving grounds in Arizona just outside of Phoenix. Has the Supra been testing in any high heat conditions? I should camp outside the entrance in hopes I'll get a glimpse!

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I was reading into Toyota's different test tracks and noticed that they have a proving grounds in Arizona just outside of Phoenix. Has the Supra been testing in any high heat conditions? I should camp outside the entrance in hopes I'll get a glimpse!
I believe beside southern CA, some have been spotted in UT, AZ, and TX.

dshandy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Chevy Camaro SS, 2014 Audi A5
Ahh very cool! I noticed other manufacturers have proving grounds out here as well. Whenever I make the drive to California I always end up spotting something wrapped in camo.