Toyota Supra finally spied testing Stateside!

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Update: 8/21/17

http://jalopnik.com/the-new-toyota-supra-is-still-out-there-running-around-1798282595

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Some Lucky Bastard Is Already Driving The New Supra To The Best Roads

Concepts, renders and spy shots of the fabled 2018 Toyota Supra get us more excited than ants drowning in Mountain Dew. But this picture, of a test pilot taking what is almost certainly a new Supra prototype toward the beautiful Pacific Coast Highway, is enough to make anyone jealous.

All we really know about the upcoming Toyota sports car is that itā€™s been co-developed with BMW and is going to bow in earnest... eventually. Heck, Toyota has not even confirmed it will be called ā€œSupra.ā€

But whenever it takes a name and takes off the camo, Iā€™ll be waiting to rub my palms together and then rub my grubby mitts all over this beauty. Iā€™m just envious of the people who donā€™t have to wait.

These photos, which were sent in courtesy of a reader (thanks again, Dale), donā€™t seem to show any significant details beyond what weā€™ve seen in other spy shots but we can see two fairly fat exhaust tips and red brake calipers. Those doors seem to have a major upswing though, donā€™t they? Theyā€™re almost Aston Martin-esque.

I like the way this thing is shaping up, though. Looks pretty close to the FT-1 concept and I think we can all live with that.

http://jalopnik.com/some-lucky-bastard-is-already-driving-the-new-supra-to-1796732571

zomkfktvzy4nc4witcs7.jpg

tcppzz1dl0cdsuqbgzef.jpg

fwhtv70exd6lstiszgqp.jpg

Sponsored

Last edited:

323 Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ducati
I'm getting more excited by the day. The car just looks better and better every time I see it ... even in camo.
+1

Look at this view! The duckbill spoiler and short rear end look so good! Based on the reflections you can also see the nice curves that are going to extend from rear of the doors into the rear wheel fenders.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Based on the reflections you can also see the nice curves that are going to extend from rear of the doors into the rear wheel fenders.
If you zoom in on some of the other more detailed spy shots you can see they have something screwed in covering up the bottom part of the door. I hoping for an air vent/duck/intake or whatever you want to call it.

door2.jpg

OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I can also see where they drilled a panel on, but I'm having a hard time imagining a duck there with such a small space between the door and wheel arch.

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh.. been waiting so long for this.... so tired of driving my Avalon every weekend to meet up with friends at the local cars and coffee events. :cry:

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Here is a 20 min quickie I did on paint. Its not perfect but you guys get the idea of how a possible air vent could look. While I was at it I shorten both the hood and wheel base to better match the prototype.

h6coUqF.png

Last edited:

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
20170709_191047.jpg

Does that look right, or am i seeing things here?

I have been looking for evidence of the retractable spoiler on these test mules, this looks like one of the first times that it has caught my eye.
Good catch! Might just be a plastic piece on the trunk covering the retractable wing?

masahiro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MR2
20170709_191047.jpg

I have been looking for evidence of the retractable spoiler on these test mules, this looks like one of the first times that it has caught my eye.
Didn't notice that. I thought it was gonna be a hatchback but I see those lines you pointed out. Curious if the trunk layout has more structural rigidity than a hatch.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
You guys seriously never noticed the trunk lines before?

supra-8-jpg.jpg

supra-9-jpg.jpg

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
20170709_191047.jpg

naw, look at some of the other photos of the trunk, it is a hatchback..they covered the edges of the rear window with camo so what you're seeing isn't the start of a retractable spoiler, it is where the rear window ends.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
The bolted on panels are more likely to be camouflage panels designed to obscure the shape of the car, rather than evidence of vents or actual body styling. The panels on this mule seem to be less fat than some of the older ones, so you can really start to see the shape of the car as a whole. It looks sexy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
This is what a Supraforums member and Toyota employee said on the matter.

Front bumper, Hood, front fenders, rocker panels, rear quarter, rear bumper, trunk lid all have riveted/sheet metal body panels on it. Follow the lines of the car, it's every panel except the doors

Looking at the basic size dimensions of the car is the only real takeaway. Everything else is deception

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
If any forum member spots the mule in Cali, pull in front of it...get out and approach the driver as if you are going to mug him...point your gun at his face and demand to know the powerplant specs.
Sponsored