Weaker Down Shifting

ton3montano

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra Premium
I daily drive a 2023 B58 6-cylinder automatic Supra , bought brand new, has 4500 miles and put through the proper break-in period.

Mods : MST INTAKE , and JB4 (map 1 and occasionally map 2 on weekends with 93 octane on both maps)

Concern: (when in SPORT MODE)
- I feel as though the down shifting feels more mellowed out , not as aggressive and lazy when in SPORT MODE
- I still have a factory exhaust and sounds slightly quieter than usual. I also notice less burble sounds.

Should I be concerned or is this just the car normal build up of carbon and wear and tear.
Could this just be the trans being broken in?

Any information would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ton3montano

ton3montano

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I dunno but you should get xHP. It's been my favorite mod thus far.
Thatā€™s the thing , I donā€™t really see a loss in hp. And I donā€™t think it has anything to do with the JB4 because I first started experiencing it before the install of the JB4.

Bad Karma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
Sorry, xHP is a transmission reflash for the ZF8 speed. I should have been clearer. You purchase maps and then a dongle, and you can do it in your driveway in 15 minutes. Totally changes how the car drives. Shifts are lightning fast now -- no loss of boost between shifts, etc. Definitely check it out. https://www.xhpflashtool.com/

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Sorry, xHP is a transmission reflash for the ZF8 speed. I should have been clearer. You purchase maps and then a dongle, and you can do it in your driveway in 15 minutes. Totally changes how the car drives. Shifts are lightning fast now -- no loss of boost between shifts, etc. Definitely check it out. https://www.xhpflashtool.com/
Sorry to hijack. Just had a look at their site, been thinking about this for a while. Other than faster shifts, I want to achieve two things:

- Lock out first gear i.e. stop it changing into 1st when in sport mode and slowing down for a junction.
- Add subtle gear change "farts". We don't have these in Europe and miss it from my F-Type.

Do I need the custom license to achieve this, or can I fine tune the Stage 1,2, & 3 maps setup to achieve this?

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
I keep my transmission in sport +(bimmercode) and never felt like I need for it to be more responsive.

Bad Karma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
Sorry to hijack. Just had a look at their site, been thinking about this for a while. Other than faster shifts, I want to achieve two things:

- Lock out first gear i.e. stop it changing into 1st when in sport mode and slowing down for a junction.
- Add subtle gear change "farts". We don't have these in Europe and miss it from my F-Type.

Do I need the custom license to achieve this, or can I fine tune the Stage 1,2, & 3 maps setup to achieve this?
The maps are just that: maps that you can switch to. But there are also accessory options that you can flash on top of the map as well such as starting in 2nd gear like you asked about. I don't know about adding farts, though. My car does that in general.

Bad Karma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
I keep my transmission in sport +(bimmercode) and never felt like I need for it to be more responsive.
Yeah, I can't comment on this as I've never tried sport + mode, but if it works for you, xHP is probably not worth it.

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Just FYI, 1st gear lockout is already there stock. Put it in manual mode, foot on brake at a full stop, put it in 2nd. It will not put itself in 1st gear again no matter how slow you go unless you put it there or shut off/restart.

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
The maps are just that: maps that you can switch to. But there are also accessory options that you can flash on top of the map as well such as starting in 2nd gear like you asked about. I don't know about adding farts, though. My car does that in general.
Thanks for that. I think I'll email them to clarify what to buy.

The combo package (license and stage 1-3 maps) is Ā£372 and the Custom Map Service is another Ā£518, but not sure if you need all 3 parts, or just the license and then custom map.

Bad Karma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
Thanks for that. I think I'll email them to clarify what to buy.

The combo package (license and stage 1-3 maps) is Ā£372 and the Custom Map Service is another Ā£518, but not sure if you need all 3 parts, or just the license and then custom map.
I can clarify. I don't think for your application you'll need a custom map. You just need to purchase the license and stage 1-3 maps, download the app, and get the dongle; and you're good to go. The app has all the options already included in that I was talking about in my last post. Also, there's a fair bit of customization you can do yourself through the app; so I think the custom maps are probably for people who don't want the hassle.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I barely noticed a difference with XHP Stage 3 on my 2020 but I am tuned, other than the 2nd gear downshift being stupid. For Euro cars, probably be a bigger difference.

I actually had more aggressive shifts with just some ECU tune changes than what I currently have with XHP. Only reason I flashed XHP is because I bought it last year during Black Friday.

Here is a good example of shifts with just some ECU tweaks, notice on my phone display there is ZERO loss in boost during shifts.

OP
OP
ton3montano

ton3montano

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was actually able to fix the problems I was having, just in case anyone else was experiencing the same thing.

Taking out the factory airbox, you actually take out a heat shield along with it and this causes heat soaking which then gave me my problems.

I put in the VERUS HEAT SHIELD and everything went back to normal.

-burbles came back
-exhaust sounded better
-gear shifting feels aggressive again.

I highly recommend getting a heat shield when replacing the factory airbox for an intake.
IMG_3084.jpeg

SupraCess

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 GR Surpa and a turbocharged FRS
I was actually able to fix the problems I was having, just in case anyone else was experiencing the same thing.

Taking out the factory airbox, you actually take out a heat shield along with it and this causes heat soaking which then gave me my problems.

I put in the VERUS HEAT SHIELD and everything went back to normal.

-burbles came back
-exhaust sounded better
-gear shifting feels aggressive again.

I highly recommend getting a heat shield when replacing the factory airbox for an intake.
IMG_3084.jpeg
I'm glad you fixed your issue.
Sponsored