Wish List for the new Supra / Must Have Futures and Options!

Would you like to see TRD parts for the Supra?

• Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
There really is nothing like a high revving naturally aspirated V8 engine for track work. That's why I got respect for what Ford is offering in the GT350 package. It should kill it out on the track.

For 99% of driving tho a TT v6 with some lovely torque would suit me just fine. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
There was a lot of hype when Laguna Seca Mustang came out, saying it'd kill everything in sight. Then I saw a Euro match up between the Laguna Seca and a mere Sedan V8 Vauxhall...the stupid Vauxhaul killed the Leguna Seca. The Leguna Seca couldn't even keep up!

For any sort of track duty, imho anything more than 3000lbs, is more than I care to deal with, unless it's a GT3. With lighter cars, you can late brake way later than heavier cars. You can still be full throttle, when heavier cars have to get on their brakes way early. With lighter cars, you can carry so much corner speed too.

I've seen light weight silly little Miatas with turbo (not that I'm a fan of turbo), 2200 lbs with 325 Hp hanging in there with street GT3's ON THE STRAIGHTS. You earn a lot of respect and its so rewarding when you can do that.

Last edited:

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
Yea weight is definitely the enemy when it comes to any track/road course and certainly not great for general "feel" even in normal driving. I'd love to see what the LS Mustang could've been capable of with a suspension from this millennium. Even the new mustangs can post better lap times despite being a few hundred pounds heavier. Though they are almost as slow as the outgoing ones even with more HP and TQ. I'm really just shocked anyone would put out a heavier car on a new platform in this day and age... The bandaid solutions of pumping more power to counteract weight is going to kill them in the end.

Anyway at least Toyota (hopefully) seems to get it. FR-S is one of the lighest cars out there for its size (compare to the 370Z for example) and they have some learnings from the LFA that may come into play in the future. Personally I'm really looking forward to what they can accomplish with a BMW chassis, I think it bodes good things to come.

500strong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang
The Porsche GT3 engine was as a result of dropping the race and time proven RSR’s “Mezger” flat-six engine and using the more run of the mill Carerra S engine. NA Carerra S engine doesn't seem to be handling the track duty at nearly 500hp.
Didn't realize the GT3 doesn't have the Mezger engine in it, just assumed that it'd have the most kick ass engine avaialble.

OP
OP
Loyo911

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5
There was a lot of hype when Laguna Seca Mustang came out, saying it'd kill everything in sight. Then I saw a Euro match up between the Laguna Seca and a mere Sedan V8 Vauxhall...the stupid Vauxhaul killed the Leguna Seca. The Leguna Seca couldn't even keep up!

For any sort of track duty, imho anything more than 3000lbs, is more than I care to deal with, unless it's a GT3. With lighter cars, you can late brake way later than heavier cars. You can still be full throttle, when heavier cars have to get on their brakes way early. With lighter cars, you can carry so much corner speed too.

I've seen light weight silly little Miatas with turbo (not that I'm a fan of turbo), 2200 lbs with 325 Hp hanging in there with street GT3's ON THE STRAIGHTS. You earn a lot of respect and its so rewarding when you can do that.
Agreed on the weight advantage on the track. You can of course feel weight differences on the road too but there's so much less situations for a lighter car to shine during regular driving. On the road it's power that impresses and is more useful. Probably why manufacturers have focused on adding power instead of reducing weight. It sells cars (and it's cheaper to do). Most people know how many horsepowers their car has but how many know its weight.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
Didn't realize the GT3 doesn't have the Mezger engine in it, just assumed that it'd have the most kick ass engine avaialble.
I can understand why they are doing this, since more and more people are looking at GT3's as garage queens, and investments. Already the previous versions (engine and stick shift) are proving to be better than most Wall Street investment stocks, with many used ones selling higher than the original MSRP!

So now I guess to get the real deal with long term track duty durability, you might have to resort to their Cup Cars (not sure if they are changing the Cup Cars engine, but I'd imagine maybe not), which are not street legal.

Agreed on the weight advantage on the track. You can of course feel weight differences on the road too but there's so much less situations for a lighter car to shine during regular driving. On the road it's power that impresses and is more useful. Probably why manufacturers have focused on adding power instead of reducing weight. It sells cars (and it's cheaper to do). Most people know how many horsepowers their car has but how many know its weight.
Sad, but very true. It only comes handy cutting another driver off, or something! Most of my life, I have had several vehicles at a time, but I have always hated city driving...I take the bus!

AZ Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hoping for new Supra
Lighter weight has some other benefits on the road - better gas efficiency, less wear on consumables like tires and brakes.

Tunnel_D

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTO
You can feel a lighter car even taking turns on regular roads going to get groceries though. And you need less power to feel like you're going fast. Go drive one of the HP/TQ monster sedans like the AMG E class or M5. You gotta be going triple digits to feel any speed. :thumbsdown:

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
My wish list would be:

1. Make it as close to the concept as possible.
2. At least 500hp would be nice.
3. That hinted price tag of $50k-$60k also sounds nice.
4. Actually use the Supra nameplate and not just some random letters (FR-S).
5. Wouldn't mind a good old manual transmission.
6. Carbon fiber please!

From a Dig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tacoma
I definitely need it to stay under $60,000 price tag. Make it smaller than the concept. Give it a great power:weight ratio (I don't care about huge HP numbers for braggin rights).

And give it a nice interior please! This is going to be a very premium price for a Toyota so give it a premium interior.

Scuba Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi S4
You can feel a lighter car even taking turns on regular roads going to get groceries though. And you need less power to feel like you're going fast. Go drive one of the HP/TQ monster sedans like the AMG E class or M5. You gotta be going triple digits to feel any speed. :thumbsdown:
Yea that is all part of the "fun" factor that Toyota has to make sure they nail down. Power is often used as a cheap copout these days to really ripping into a platform and taking out excess weight. Make it lighter than the MKIV Supra with as much power as the C7 and that thing will scream while being tons of fun.

Rylan Coutu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 Toyota MR2 N/A
I feel that this car should be a more nostalgic car, the Supra was a classic car and the FT-1 almost shares no resemblance to it. It looks like an F1 car especially in the front. I think Toyota should build another straight 6 TT, probably bigger for more horse power. Redesigned exterior, the concept looks good but it looks way ahead of its time. It should also be more about simplicity, make it a drivers car that's capable of being modified for track use. Making it more of a drivers car verses as super car would also make it more affordable. Now I'm not sure but it sounds like they're trying to make it AWD from the electric motors at the wheels, keep it RWD, make it nostalgic and a throwback.

FT1freddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S
I feel that this car should be a more nostalgic car, the Supra was a classic car and the FT-1 almost shares no resemblance to it. It looks like an F1 car especially in the front. I think Toyota should build another straight 6 TT, probably bigger for more horse power. Redesigned exterior, the concept looks good but it looks way ahead of its time. It should also be more about simplicity, make it a drivers car that's capable of being modified for track use. Making it more of a drivers car verses as super car would also make it more affordable. Now I'm not sure but it sounds like they're trying to make it AWD from the electric motors at the wheels, keep it RWD, make it nostalgic and a throwback.
I'm also looking for something where it's foremost a driver's car. From what the project leader said it's going to be a driver's car. See his quotes - http://www.supramkv.com/threads/quotes-from-tetsuya-tada-on-the-ft1-supra.40/

I just hope they don't load it with too much tech bloat just because it's supposed to be the top of the line halo Toyota car.

Where did you read it has electric motors at the wheels? I don't think there's much doubt that it will be RWD and gasoline only.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
@Rylan-
With all due respect to your opinion, nostalgic, well everyone and their uncle has been there, done that! Toyota would be the last one to the table. Market for nostalgic is already saturated...

Affordable, toned down, simple? Well, why would Toyota even bother...there are already dozens of this option out there. For every given price range, There are a number of cars that can offer the basics, be it track toy, or luxury sport or whatever!

The current goal by Toyota is to create "passion". You don't create passion by copying others, or create the same blaw others have.

Just mho for what it's worth...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.