šŸ‘£ Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Now this has me worried, we got our A91 here in PR without brake paint, drive assist package, and jbl speakers. When I was searching for buying one I saw 6 different A91 and they all were the same, all the ones I've seen on meets are this way too.

Do you know of a way I could check the rear brakes to confirm if they are the smaller ones?
I have yet to see actual measurement proof of a size difference. I ordered rear brakes from GLOC via vorschlag and they both confirmed there was no difference in pad size. Unless the rotor is larger which still wouldnā€™t make sense I have not seen proof. I also posted a thread about this well
Sponsored

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Now this has me worried, we got our A91 here in PR without brake paint, drive assist package, and jbl speakers. When I was searching for buying one I saw 6 different A91 and they all were the same, all the ones I've seen on meets are this way too.

Do you know of a way I could check the rear brakes to confirm if they are the smaller ones?
Sorry, I have no idea. :dunno:

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
its still sedan dimensions on a coupe the driveshaft etc not to mention input shafts and everything would be different. Isnā€™t that also a gen1 b58 bs a gen 2
Wouldn't all that stuff be able from the Euro spec 2.0 Z4?

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I have yet to see actual measurement proof of a size difference. I ordered rear brakes from GLOC via vorschlag and they both confirmed there was no difference in pad size. Unless the rotor is larger which still wouldnā€™t make sense I have not seen proof. I also posted a thread about this well
The rear rotors are around 10-15mm smaller in diameter. That's it. Not enough to warrant caring, given the fronts are the same and do the majority of the work.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
The rear rotors are around 10-15mm smaller in diameter. That's it. Not enough to warrant caring, given the fronts are the same and do the majority of the work.
So the caliper is the same size then?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
From previous info, I believe the manual setup will be different between the MKV and Z4. Clutch, diff, axles, and stiffer trans mount. The setup in the Z4 should be smoother and more ā€œcivilizedā€ while the setup in the MKV will be more ā€œperformanceā€ oriented.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
From previous info, I believe the manual setup will be different between the MKV and Z4. Clutch, diff, axles, and stiffer trans mount. The setup in the Z4 should be smoother and more ā€œcivilizedā€ while the setup in the MKV will be more ā€œperformanceā€ oriented.
So the 3.0 Z4 is getting a manual as well?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So the 3.0 Z4 is getting a manual as well?
I donā€™t want to say yes because I donā€™t ā€œofficiallyā€ know if itā€™s from the Z4 or some other Bimmer. Iā€™m just saying that from what I heard, the manual originally slated for the Z4 had a different purpose than what Toyota was testing for the MKV. The ā€œstrongerā€ transmission almost got axed because of Toyotaā€™s strict standards versus BMWā€™s. Iā€™m still curious what motor the manual will behind in the MKV :).

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I donā€™t want to say yes because I donā€™t ā€œofficiallyā€ know if itā€™s from the Z4 or some other Bimmer. Iā€™m just saying that from what I heard, the manual originally slated for the Z4 had a different purpose than what Toyota was testing for the MKV. The ā€œstrongerā€ transmission almost got axed because of Toyotaā€™s strict standards versus BMWā€™s. Iā€™m still curious what motor the manual will behind in the MKV :).
D-did they actually pull it off?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Thanks for the link. I never looked up the numbers, just went with what everyone keeps saying on the web about manuals being popular in the Europe lol.
They weren't just popular, it's all there was. Only in recent years the switch to auto/DCT happened in European cars when they started to outperform the manual. When I grew up and started driving, seeing an automatic in a car in Europe was as rare as seeing a McLaren F1 on the road lol. We all took our driving tests in manuals. Auto's were generally only bought by handicapped people. But when Ferrari introduced the F1 transmission in the 355, that slowly started to change.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
So now people are thinking Toyota developed a completely separate transmission AND engine just for a manual supra? The r&d + assembly along size z4s makes this next to impossible

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So now people are thinking Toyota developed a completely separate transmission AND engine just for a manual supra? The r&d + assembly along size z4s makes this next to impossible
I wouldnā€™t get that extreme to be honest. However, Toyota isnā€™t stupidā€¦.and they know that to put a non-performance oriented manual in a performance oriented chassis wonā€™t bode well. BMWā€™s M cars have always had stout yet smooth manuals. In the MKV/Z4ā€™s case, they did take different paths for chassis engineering, and Toyota is committed to reliability and performance for the Supra. I believe (again based on previous info) that the MKV will get a more ā€œdesirableā€ manual setup than the Z4. Iā€™ve been wrong before ;-).

Status
Not open for further replies.