2021 Toyota Supra 2.0 Dyno Results

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
It sounds like they did a few runs & picked the best one ?
Maybe I am just skeptical but why would they post 217 ft-lbs to their instagram when they show a run with 225 ft-lbs in their video? Maybe they are just impression farming, because they know they will be the first to report on it since the embargo has not been lifted yet IIRC
Sponsored

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I am just skeptical but why would they post 217 ft-lbs to their instagram when they show a run with 225 ft-lbs in their video? Maybe they are just impression farming, because they know they will be the first to report on it since the embargo has not been lifted yet IIRC
I believe the instagram post was their first preliminary / initial dyno run....subsequent dyno runs (video) revealed a higher value...

splv

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 IS350
Definitely very interesting that the 2.0 Supra HP rating is spot on but the torque number is underrated. Would be interesting to see the dyno on the 3.0 Supra although I don't think it will be much different from the Z4 M40i.

This 2.0 Supra is an interesting car. Not too sure who it is marketed to besides those who want a MKV but can't afford the 3.0. It makes sense overseas where vehicle tax is based on engine displacement, but that is not the case here in the U.S. Especially without a manual gearbox, I don't know who would really want to buy this car, and I'm not buying the Tada-san theory that people who want to swap will buy this version.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I don't know who would really want to buy this car, and I'm not buying the Tada-san theory that people who want to swap will buy this version.
There are about 10 coupes for $40k+ with 250hp 4 cylinders showing that not everyone buying a coupe cares about its value proposition.

Why wouldn't they buy the 2.0? I don't see why someone would spend $10k more for the 3.0 just to remove it

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I was expecting something like 250whp & 250wtq

:crazy:
Toyota specs the 2.0 @ 255hp (crank / engine hp) which with a drivetrain loss of 12~15% would put wheel hp around 217~224 whp....

Yea, it seems that the 2.0 spec doesn't appear to be underrated like the 3.0 was ...which begs the question as to what the MY21 3.0 Supra will dyno at? stay tuned as I'm sure we'll see those results within the next month...

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Not too sure who it is marketed to besides those who want a MKV but can't afford the 3.0. It makes sense overseas where vehicle tax is based on engine displacement, but that is not the case here in the U.S. Especially without a manual gearbox, I don't know who would really want to buy this car.
I think Toyota USA is only projecting a 20% sale rate for the 4 banger model.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Haha you guys are gonna love what the gen 2 86 makes
https://www.motor1.com/news/414380/toyota-86-subaru-brz-upgrade/

217 hp. 12 more than current. I tend to believe this more than the rumored 250 horsepower. Toyota is not going to sell a 255 hp car for $40k and then a 250 hp car somewhere in the high $20k range.

Same goes for Subaru. If they were to sell a 250hp BRZ their (non STI) WRX sales would hurt.

So a small bump in power seems logical to me.

ZDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ PP, '11 Cayman
This 2.0 Supra is an interesting car. Not too sure who it is marketed to besides those who want a MKV but can't afford the 3.0. It makes sense overseas where vehicle tax is based on engine displacement, but that is not the case here in the U.S. Especially without a manual gearbox, I don't know who would really want to buy this car, and I'm not buying the Tada-san theory that people who want to swap will buy this version.
I could afford the 3.0, but I'm more interested in the 2.0 because 200 lb. lighter and less nose-heavy.

But it's not like expanding sales to those who can't afford the 3.0 is a bad idea anyway, seems like a no-brainer to me.