Brake Fluid service @ 10k miles????

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Could be but again, why not check the fluid level since it’s so easy?
Uh yeah! This is BASIC maintenance. Check fluid!! Weekly! Easy

Oh and change the fluid per BMW! Warranty protection to follow the book eh??

Don’t look for shortcuts on your maintenance. Be an adult and do it right!
Sponsored

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
looks like you have 2020 supra which is about 2 yrs since it was made. brake fluid attracts H2O from atmosphere even you don't drive and it will "fowl" fluid over time. just for safety, replace it. ask dealer if it's still covered under free maintenance. If they do, then you don't have to pay for it.

BuyHighSellLow

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Premium, MK6 Jetta

44C8D30F-779A-4650-BBCF-3E321C6FAF4D.gif

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I just got this light on mine too, although I've never tracked my car and my brakes feel fine. Mine is 2.5 years old with 15k miles...can't imagine it needing brake service so soon. I'll just clear the light and move on with life

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I just got this light on mine too, although I've never tracked my car and my brakes feel fine. Mine is 2.5 years old with 15k miles...can't imagine it needing brake service so soon. I'll just clear the light and move on with life
Fluid is hydroscopic. It readily absorbs water. In 6 months your due a fluid change based on time.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
~ Amazingly this was never a required service until 60,000 miles roughly 10 years ago.

I personally think all service recommendations have been moved to much lower mileage to push sales / profits for the dealers and manufactures.

However manufactures push 10,000 miles between oil changes when the dealer covers the cost under manufacture covered maintenance. Hmm
In my professional opinion:

Nothing to do with sales & profits, and everything to do with the increasing cost & complexity of ABS, TCS, VSC, EBD, BA (and so on) systems. These things are so precisely calibrated it isn't funny. Things like worn suspension bushings, dampers, or even different tires than OE can inhibit its function and effectiveness. Considering the fluid is the actual lifeblood of everything, highly susceptible to contamination & breakdown, and dirt cheap to change in the grand scheme, it should be an easy decision to just do it and move on.

Quit being cheap.

nc_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Pro

You'd think that brake fluid being a highly critical safety system would be sufficient for people to do this.

Service interval says 24 months for a brake fluid change. The car has hit it's second birthday, it's that simple.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb water from anywhere, with even a small amount changing the characteristics of the fluid massively.

Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 15.58.52.png

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Fluid is hydroscopic. It readily absorbs water. In 6 months your due a fluid change based on time.
Yes it is hydroscopic, that's common knowledge...but every six months? So if you have had a car for ten years you have changed and flushed the brake fluid twenty times? That seems a little OCD / over the top

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Yes it is hydroscopic, that's common knowledge...but every six months? So if you have had a car for ten years you have changed and flushed the brake fluid twenty times? That seems a little OCD / over the top
Not every six months, read closer. He said yours is due in roughly six months from now based on age of vehicle & fluid. Then every two years after that. Ten years of ownership equals five fluid flushes.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
In my professional opinion:

Nothing to do with sales & profits, and everything to do with the increasing cost & complexity of ABS, TCS, VSC, EBD, BA (and so on) systems. These things are so precisely calibrated it isn't funny. Things like worn suspension bushings, dampers, or even different tires than OE can inhibit its function and effectiveness. Considering the fluid is the actual lifeblood of everything, highly susceptible to contamination & breakdown, and dirt cheap to change in the grand scheme, it should be an easy decision to just do it and move on.

Quit being cheap.
50K+ car 2 cent attitude towards maintenance LOL. Im amazed what some 'owners' think is sufficient for their 'baby'. Bottom line if you cant do the maintenance outside of the warranty and afford it(not counting well versed home mechanics), you cant afford the car. Toss insurance and fuel on that as well. Modern cars are easy to get into, just ask your dealer lol - later they are not so inexpensive to fix in many cases. Semi-exotics like this end up modded and dumped and not maintained when those bills are due.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
I'm at 15,000km and I have this message.
Sponsored