Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone speak Japanese?

Chief engineer Tetsuya Tada Talks about the new Supra! May 25 at 21 o'clock

While I don't speak Japanese, one of the YouTube comments, when Google Translated, says: "MT believers many though For both GTR and NSX MT, Toyota is making 86 for those who want to drive MT I wonder what you are not satisfied with"

So I'm guessing they touch on the lack of Manual and how there still isn't one.
Sponsored

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Being a turbo (easy to modify) it doesn't really matter if its 360hp vs 390 vs 405, the engine potential is what most Supra fans will care about. But to the average 'merican, 400 hp is a lot sexier than 390 hp.

I have faith, but its hard for all three of the following to be true; under 3000lbs, 400 hp, and $55k US. Its either going to have less power, more weight, or be at least $60k. I hope I'm wrong.
I mean realistically, if they've designed a strong engine like it sounds like they have, the difference in 350hp and 400hp could be all in the software. Not that they should give out free horsepower, but if they wanted to blow away the competition at $55k, they probably could.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
While I don't speak Japanese, one of the YouTube comments, when Google Translated, says: "MT believers many though For both GTR and NSX MT, Toyota is making 86 for those who want to drive MT I wonder what you are not satisfied with"

So I'm guessing they touch on the lack of Manual and how there still isn't one.
How were you able to get a translation for that other interview in Geneva?

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I just found this out, but if you go to the Youtube settings, they have an auto translate feature. It's not that great, but its better then nothing.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Being a turbo (easy to modify) it doesn't really matter if its 360hp vs 390 vs 405, the engine potential is what most Supra fans will care about. But to the average 'merican, 400 hp is a lot sexier than 390 hp.

I have faith, but its hard for all three of the following to be true; under 3000lbs, 400 hp, and $55k US. Its either going to have less power, more weight, or be at least $60k. I hope I'm wrong.
there's a point to what you're saying in that the sub 3k mark has been changed due to the new motor weighing more (I found this out right after the US source confirmed sub 3k; goes to show there is still plenty being kept secret from divisions outside Japan).

it's 1380kg... and then most likely still 350hp/whatever marketing wants and $55k. as you said, the huge thing is going to tuning potential and possibly a ton of factory options like exhaust, intake, boost up, etc covered under warranty.

Doesn't @A70TTR speak Japanese?
I do, but my Japanese is not what I consider great. I generally get by fine as the engineers speak more English than one would think, and I work with a translator for documents.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I do, but my Japanese is not what I consider great. I generally get by fine as the engineers speak more English than one would think, and I work with a translator for documents.
I see, is there anything news breaking from the video above? I always wonder what you did. Test driver?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I wish I was an ounce as badass as a test driver haha... I'm more or less an engineering liaison (this simplifies what I do, but I'd rather keep it fairly broad).

Anyhow, I just watched about 20 mins of that interview and they were speaking about meeting each other before, the 86 development, culture shock in Germany, and other random stuff. If I have time later I'll try to watch some more, possibly with a Japanese friend to point out anything I've missed.

Last edited:

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
“it's 1380kg... and then most likely still 350hp/whatever marketing wants and $55k. as you said, the huge thing is going to tuning potential and possibly a ton of factory options like exhaust, intake, boostup, etc covered under warranty”

A70 that is very interesting...factory tuning options with warranty...cool

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
there's a point to what you're saying in that the sub 3k mark has been changed due to the new motor weighing more (I found this out right after the US source confirmed sub 3k; goes to show there is still plenty being kept secret from divisions outside Japan).

it's 1380kg... and then most likely still 350hp/whatever marketing wants and $55k. as you said, the huge thing is going to tuning potential and possibly a ton of factory options like exhaust, intake, boost up, etc covered under warranty.
1380kg is roughly 3043lbs and that aint bad at all for a 350+ base model. Wonder what kind of weight savings magic Gazoo can come up with.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Fascinating. 1380kg is still a light car for today's standards.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1380kg is roughly 3043lbs and that aint bad at all for a 350+ base model. Wonder what kind of weight savings magic Gazoo can come up with.
Not sure, but from what was said I don't think there will be special models until later. How much later is a mystery.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.