Interviews with Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada

Status
Not open for further replies.

madfast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo X
Sounds like logic is a strong suit of yours :)
:D

the way i see it is this: the cayman s has 350 hp with 3000 lbs curb weight. the M2 has 365 hp with 3450 lbs curb weight. if this car can get close to 400 hp with a curb weight around 3200 lbs, for $50-60k? that's a damn good car no matter who made it or what it's called...
Sponsored

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet

the way i see it is this: the cayman s has 350 hp with 3000 lbs curb weight. the M2 has 365 hp with 3450 lbs curb weight. if this car can get close to 400 hp with a curb weight around 3200 lbs, for $50-60k? that's a damn good car no matter who made it or what it's called...
The 718 has real world HP, they dyno at 340ish AT THE WHEELS and the weight is WET WEIGHT so it's power to weight ratio is actually insane. Every other manufacturer quotes lab test crank power.
A stock 718 S is, quite literally, a fraction of a second slower than the out going GT4, which was already faster than a base carrera (non s)

My point being: If the supra can even match the 718 S performance it would make it a complete performance bargain*

*As I've stated earlier, if this was any other time I'd have no doubts in the up and coming supra, but we live in a second golden era of performance cars. The new mustang can actually turn a corner and coming 2018, the cheap-as-shit GT comes with 460 HP standard.
The Zl1 is faster than the outgoing Z28 and for what? 1/2 the price?
The 718 (non s) itself is already priced below what the Supra is supposed to start at, if you can bear the boxer rumble ( I can).

I'm not sure what the Supra needs to be to be successful, but I know it's rivals are hitting strong.
The good thing right now is there is no Japanese competitors over here in North America, the miata, STI, Type R all fit into different markets and the GTR is priced well above what the speculated supra will cost.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots

From all the tidbits we've heard, and this thread, I reckon you're on the money

86 was meant to be a 'cut price' Cayman

This car was meant to be a cut price 911 - so the love child of the 86, BMW M2 and FT1 would result in a well-priced, well-equipped, relatively fast 911 competitor, sitting in that M2/RS3/AMG A45 etc bracket... Other than the M2, what other rear drive cars are there?

Just like the 86, undercutting the MX5 and being the best thing in that price point, the 'FT1' would be the cheapest and fastest RWD coupe in the category...

I hope they don't call it a Supra. Supra (in A80 guise anyway) chased GT-Rs... so as mentioned, the LC-F will be the true successor.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
hahahahaha. finally no more talk of a 650hp corvette chaser. It's a good day to be on this forum. Thank you guys for being more realistic. I will be 100% percent happy with a Toyota that can put down a 911 number and performance. I just hope we can get the Toyota reliability and a reasonable price with the package(a little cheaper than a 911).

surfmurf

First Name
Murf
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 C-10, 81 S-10, 63 T-Bird, 55 3100
This guy comes across as a near IDIOT. Anyone notice he has BOTH hands OFF the steering wheel while his car is moving at a significant speed? And he tells us nothing about the subject Supra. How can we block this clown?

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
hahahahaha. finally no more talk of a 650hp corvette chaser. It's a good day to be on this forum. Thank you guys for being more realistic. I will be 100% percent happy with a Toyota that can put down a 911 number and performance. I just hope we can get the Toyota reliability and a reasonable price with the package(a little cheaper than a 911).
Agreed :rofl:

Still not sounding good for the manual though.

This guy comes across as a near IDIOT. Anyone notice he has BOTH hands OFF the steering wheel while his car is moving at a significant speed? And he tells us nothing about the subject Supra. How can we block this clown?
He does sound like an idiot and the video is 100% useless. I steer with my knees all the time though.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
Agreed :rofl:

Still not sounding good for the manual though.

He does sound like an idiot and the video is 100% useless. I steer with my knees all the time though.
lol. good to know am not the only one doing the knee thing

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
From all the tidbits we've heard, and this thread, I reckon you're on the money

86 was meant to be a 'cut price' Cayman

This car was meant to be a cut price 911 - so the love child of the 86, BMW M2 and FT1 would result in a well-priced, well-equipped, relatively fast 911 competitor, sitting in that M2/RS3/AMG A45 etc bracket... Other than the M2, what other rear drive cars are there?

Just like the 86, undercutting the MX5 and being the best thing in that price point, the 'FT1' would be the cheapest and fastest RWD coupe in the category...

I hope they don't call it a Supra. Supra (in A80 guise anyway) chased GT-Rs... so as mentioned, the LC-F will be the true successor.
Let's be real, the modded MKV will chase GTRs

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
I was there, and yes this meet and greet was not supposed to be talked about outside of those invited... there were also other meetings beyond this that were not to be discussed either (thankfully those have been kept quiet).

That said, I'm aware of several different details around this car that haven't been made public yet, but none of this information can be spoken about. I was told to stay quiet or face repercussions (the usual for something of this nature). I was also told I would be contacted when more details were available, and how my input shaped the car. I'm hoping that next time involves a test drive as the car is likely to be revealed in October.
thanks a lot for this, but while i was trying to be positive about the manual, for some reason now am feeling like am going to spend the money am saving for the J29 somewhere else....>_<

I personally feel a Supra successor would be something like a TT RC-F or the new LC-F (the latter is a bit too expensive, but either way) and added to that is that they’re purely Toyota cars. Plus, the Supra always rode on a modified Soarer/SC platform and as such the cars were always closely related.

With the price point the new car is going to be at and the fact that it’s a majority BMW parts wise, I feel they should call it something else.
in that case don't forget the Toyota Chaser's too! am REALLY glad they didn't go with the heavy ~3800lb RC-F chassis or -as-heavy-as-a-challenger- 4200lb LC!
and again i really don't care for the pure toyota or the BMW thingie as long as it's in the weight range of a 911 or a cayman. "knowing" its a pure Toyota or has BMW engineering in it is meaning less while actually driving the thing. Now the 'street rep' is something else...

madfast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo X
great article. i think there is a chance toyota uses the B58 bottom end and a 6 cylinder version of the 8AR-FTS head. besides their ubiquitous valvetronic and the S55-like closed deck, i dont see anything too spectacular from the B58. on the other hand, toyota uses D4S, VVTi-E that allows otto/atkinson cycles, integrated turbo manifold, etc. if it turns out that bmw is just an I6 block donor, then this engine is as close to a "toyota engine" as we will get. the 86 with it's boxer D4S engine is similarly a "toyota engine" to me.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
3300lbs, modded B58, 7spd DCT, $50-60k

I'll go with those being my ideal figures, but perhaps the truth is something more :)

We shall see...

Last edited:

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
great article. i think there is a chance toyota uses the B58 bottom end and a 6 cylinder version of the 8AR-FTS head. besides their ubiquitous valvetronic and the S55-like closed deck, i dont see anything too spectacular from the B58. on the other hand, toyota uses D4S, VVTi-E that allows otto/atkinson cycles, integrated turbo manifold, etc. if it turns out that bmw is just an I6 block donor, then this engine is as close to a "toyota engine" as we will get. the 86 with it's boxer D4S engine is similarly a "toyota engine" to me.
i hope that engine bay is sexeh

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I think you're right on the money with that one.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.