Is it worth paying extra for a 2020 Launch Edition?

OP
OP

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Another thing to think about: did the owner who only put 100 miles on it first spend $2-3k on ceramic coating and PPF? That’s a huge cost most people spend right after purchasing a new car.

Also, sounds like you are more than willing to walk away, so that puts you in a powerful negotiation position. You can tell the dealer your position and then say look I’ll give you $49k today, if not no problem there are plenty of them out there.

EDIT* also Toyota CPO program not bad, maybe you could use that in your negotiation. It adds an addition 12 months/12k miles to the factory basic 3 yr/36k and ups the power train to 7 year/100k warranty. Although if you plan to tune yours then the added powertrain warranty probably doesn’t help you much.
Yeah there was nothing put on the LE as far as I can tell. That $4k I’ll save going with the new 2021 over this LE could go to ceramic coating / ppf / new wheels / whatever though (though while I plan on getting it coated I’m on the fence about PPF).

I wasn’t able to negotiate below $52.5k with them though so I think there’s no more headway I can make with them aside from waiting and hoping nobody shows interest.
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I haven’t been able to find any pre 06/2020 2021s, but yeah the oil consumption issue is definitely on my radar and is the the biggest con of it that’s stopping me from pulling the trigger on one. The ECU ultimately I’m fine with going with a JB4 and hedging my bets on someone unlocking the 2021 ECUs eventually.

It being new (77 miles new) is why it continues to hang around my list, despite being at the bottom with the highest price.

Are the interiors on the 2021 Premiums not the same? Both the LE and 2021 Premium I’m looking at have red exteriors with black interiors.

The black OEM wheels are a plus, but ultimately I intend on replacing them with black Titan 7s or something from BC Forged anyway so I doubt they’ll be that worth it for me imo.
Only the red LE has black interior. The black and white ones have red interior.

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
I haven’t been able to find any pre 06/2020 2021s, but yeah the oil consumption issue is definitely on my radar and is the the biggest con of it that’s stopping me from pulling the trigger on one. The ECU ultimately I’m fine with going with a JB4 and hedging my bets on someone unlocking the 2021 ECUs eventually.

It being new (77 miles new) is why it continues to hang around my list, despite being at the bottom with the highest price.

Are the interiors on the 2021 Premiums not the same? Both the LE and 2021 Premium I’m looking at have red exteriors with black interiors.

The black OEM wheels are a plus, but ultimately I intend on replacing them with black Titan 7s or something from BC Forged anyway so I doubt they’ll be that worth it for me imo.
Guess I should've clarified. The white and black LEs got the red leather interior and mirror caps, plain black interior for the red LEs which is the same as the '21 Premiums.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Guess I should've clarified. The white and black LEs got the red leather interior and mirror caps, plain black interior for the red LEs which is the same as the '21 Premiums.
Some Absolute White LE's like mine came with CF mirror caps, some came with red caps. Fyi

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Keep in mind not to talk negatively about the 2021 but don’t forget about the 2021 revised motor with the low oil issues. Not all are affective (assuming) but its out there. You maybe saving $4k but do you want to have the hassle of being one of the unlucky 2021 owners and having to warranty and get a new motor in?

Yes, the 2021 has more hp and faster. But sometimes I would spend alittle more for a piece of mind. Like I said, just my IMO. It also depends on what color you are looking for.

Sauceii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Pemium
I'm currently in the market for a new car, and I'm kind of overwhelmed with options atm especially cause this is my first car purchase.

A dealer (kind of) close to me has a pre-owned 2020 Launch Edition with less than 100 miles on it for sale for $53.5k, although I could get it at $52.5k + TTL.

It seems kind of overpriced when I can get a 0 mile 2021 3.0 Premium for $48.5-$51.5k, but then again I don't know.

Additionally, there's a 2020 Premium near me with 7.7k miles for $46k that was used as a General Manager demo.

I want a model with an unlocked ECU, but then again in the back of my mind, I have this feeling that I might regret it with the 2021's 6 port head and the possibility that the ECU gets unlocked as soon as I buy 2020. Otoh the thing stopping me from buying 2021 is the chance that the ECU doesn't get unlocked for years and the oil issue.

I just wanted to see if that asking price for the 2020 LE is insane or not? The dealer is pretty adamant at not negotiating the price at this point so I'm not sure if I should look elsewhere or roll the dice on a 2021.
Should of bought mine had tons of money into mods and tuning just traded it in , my new car is getting delivered this Friday . If you haven’t bought one yet might as well wait to see if they do release manuals this upcoming year and watch the price drop because the new Z is going to depreciate the Supra market massively if they keep at their suggested price point

OP
OP

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Keep in mind not to talk negatively about the 2021 but don’t forget about the 2021 revised motor with the low oil issues. Not all are affective (assuming) but its out there. You maybe saving $4k but do you want to have the hassle of being one of the unlucky 2021 owners and having to warranty and get a new motor in?

Yes, the 2021 has more hp and faster. But sometimes I would spend alittle more for a piece of mind. Like I said, just my IMO. It also depends on what color you are looking for.
The higher HP thing isn’t a huge deal as the aftermarket can make up the difference, I really only want around 500-600 whp (on 93) anyway.

I think I’m set on red which is what the color of the LE is so maybe. But I’ll have to think about it more haha.

Should of bought mine had tons of money into mods and tuning just traded it in , my new car is getting delivered this Friday . If you haven’t bought one yet might as well wait to see if they do release manuals this upcoming year and watch the price drop because the new Z is going to depreciate the Supra market massively if they keep at their suggested price point
Yeah I saw your farewell post lol. What did you end up trading it for?

And while I was shopping for manuals when I was looking at the BRZ, at this price point for this level of performance I’d rather stick with an auto since it’d be faster for me.

Not gonna lie I’m kinda nervous about the price floor of the cars when the Z drops, but at the same time I’m kind of intent on selling my current car asap to take advantage of bloated used car prices atm. Idk how long I could really go with being car-less though.

Sauceii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Pemium
The higher HP thing isn’t a huge deal as the aftermarket can make up the difference, I really only want around 500-600 whp (on 93) anyway.

I think I’m set on red which is what the color of the LE is so maybe. But I’ll have to think about it more haha.

Yeah I saw your farewell post lol. What did you end up trading it for?

And while I was shopping for manuals when I was looking at the BRZ, at this price point for this level of performance I’d rather stick with an auto since it’d be faster for me.

Not gonna lie I’m kinda nervous about the price floor of the cars when the Z drops, but at the same time I’m kind of intent on selling my current car asap to take advantage of bloated used car prices atm. Idk how long I could really go with being car-less though.
Yea i feel you I got a cpo s550 amg pkg, needed 4 doors and big trunk space for a kid on the way in a couple months. Yea used car pricing was the reason I traded mine now was because the price I was getting plus tax credit on the new car was damn near close to what I was asking for the car . Plus after a couple tire kickers I was fed up with fb market place and Autotrader

OP
OP

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Yea i feel you I got a cpo s550 amg pkg, needed 4 doors and big trunk space for a kid on the way in a couple months. Yea used car pricing was the reason I traded mine now was because the price I was getting plus tax credit on the new car was damn near close to what I was asking for the car . Plus after a couple tire kickers I was fed up with fb market place and Autotrader
Yeah I currently have offers for $7k-$7.6k on a 2014 Elantra from Carvana / Carmax and I kind of want to hop on that, and those are offers with fender bender damage from my neighbors, which the insurance company hasn't even paid me for yet. I figure the low mileage on it helps the offer immensely but who knows. I just want to hop on it while I still can.

APanoMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re gonna mod it it won’t make much of a difference between the 20s and 21s. Iirc the 20s are a bit more efficient and can squeeze a bit more power when using ethanol due to lower compression compared to a 21. Unless Toyota fixed the speaker/bass issue with the 20s there isn’t much of a difference between the cars. When I was looking at the supras I was going to get a white one cause it was going to be a daily and I don’t want too many tickets but when I saw the red in person, couldn’t resist.

OP
OP

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
If you’re gonna mod it it won’t make much of a difference between the 20s and 21s. Iirc the 20s are a bit more efficient and can squeeze a bit more power when using ethanol due to lower compression compared to a 21. Unless Toyota fixed the speaker/bass issue with the 20s there isn’t much of a difference between the cars. When I was looking at the supras I was going to get a white one cause it was going to be a daily and I don’t want too many tickets but when I saw the red in person, couldn’t resist.
I ended up buying a 2021! Mostly due to the insane asking prices for used 20s when this 21 was brand new and cheaper.

At first (and mostly due to $$$ and me wanting to spend it on other things) I'll probably only do Intake/DP/Exhaust/JB4 when it comes to performance mods. I kinda want to preserve the warranty for a little bit.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I ended up buying a 2021! Mostly due to the insane asking prices for used 20s when this 21 was brand new and cheaper.

At first (and mostly due to $$$ and me wanting to spend it on other things) I'll probably only do Intake/DP/Exhaust/JB4 when it comes to performance mods. I kinda want to preserve the warranty for a little bit.
Congrats on the purchase! Definitely put 1500-2000 miles on it before modding. This should give you an idea if you have the excessive oil consumption problem.

RJM

OP
OP

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Congrats on the purchase! Definitely put 1500-2000 miles on it before modding. This should give you an idea if you have the excessive oil consumption problem.

RJM
Yep that's what I was waiting to do! I was wondering if I should change my oil at 1200-1500 though and switch to 5w30 or stick with 0w20 for the first oil change just to know if I have it since 5w30 could mask the issue
Sponsored