Petition Against The 'Supra' Badge

supraz4

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW i3, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Holy sh*t, I just realized you're the dude who wrote this petition in the first place
giphy.gif
LOOL and I was wondering why this thread came back. :rolleyes:
Sponsored

123vasakate6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Mazda6 GT, 2016 Lexus LS 600h L, LandCruiser 200
The 86/FRS/BRZ was cool and successful, only because the name had never existed before.
It's so weird that they specifically chose the numbers "86." They probably used some random number generating Pachinko machine

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
It's so weird that they specifically chose the numbers "86." They probably used some random generating Pachinko machine
I heard it from a very credible source that it was the year Tada-san was born.:rofl:

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
Yeah that's me. This was set to help prevent more 'legends' in the future from returning as a co-development by showing just how dissatisfied a lot of people are and less Toyota actually paying a f*ck ton of money to legally change the name of a production vehicle tied with another manufacture. Also to highlight the problem existing Supra aftermarket industries and shops face because the B58 has been in production for now 4 years.

This is a case much different from the GT86.
Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but customers have not had the opportunity to sit behind the wheel of the A90 to give a justified opinion as such! I like many, have a strong passion for the Supra nameplate, but it's just crazy how much criticism is flying around the release of this car...yet alone, a petition. To each their own, and whoever buys the car will do so for his or her own reason.
When A80's came out radically different from the A70's, did A70 owners go up to podiums to burn the nameplate for the sole reason of "not liking it" ...?!...of course not; they simply happily lived with their A70s and simply DID NOT BUY AN A80! Days have long passed since kindergarten where we bitch and moan about "where the cool kids sit" ladies and gentleman...let the car just be and let it do its thing...sure, we no longer have a 2J...an engine that made the MKIV what it was...instead we have a car that's a full package and more than just the motor (which, by the way, happened to be revamped to specifications making it rather similar to the 2J in regards to architecture and incorporated into the BMW line after their partnership with Toyota...you think that's a coincidence)...THINK!...
Not to mention, this car is an infant in the market! Do you honestly think you'll get your "worthy, long awaited successor" if you keep pissing on Toyota with negativity...remember, it'll be much easier to leave this car as is rather than saying "sorry guys, we named the car wrong" and undo 7 years of work!

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yeah that's me. This was set to help prevent more 'legends' in the future from returning as a co-development by showing just how dissatisfied a lot of people are and less Toyota actually paying a f*ck ton of money to legally change the name of a production vehicle tied with another manufacture. Also to highlight the problem existing Supra aftermarket industries and shops face because the B58 has been in production for now 4 years.

This is a case much different from the GT86.
And why exactly are people dissatisfied? Sure B58 may be problematic for some, when GT86 first came out it had it's share of CEL issues. Subaru STI's have issues...
You have to also be aware of the industry and how with certain cost, emissions, risks, etc. companies like Toyota are trying to keep the sports car segment running with what little support they get from their companies. FCA 124/Mazda Mx5, Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ, off example Mercedes X class/Nissan Navara, etc many collaboration examples.
Forget all that. People may not be liking certain aspects of the new Supra and express them in the forums, but why try and axe it before it's even truly out there. Have only seen a handful reviews who actually drove the car and all were positive. If Toyota made a huge mistake in opting for inline 6, they'll pay the price in return, which I'm pretty sure they already know. Also, if you want Toyota reliability in Supra at this day and age, please let them know that you'd like to pay $100K for it. Oh shit. what can i buy for 100K. Lexus LC500. Toyota got your back.

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
It is the same challenge as any other new car except the German competition have a 4 year lead on B58's aftermarket support.
Still waiting on a point to be made...didn't know Supra owners were entering the cannonball run against the B58 conglomerate.
Having the research and development underway only helps aftermarket companies in Japan like HKS which have yet to work on the platform! With some of the work done, these companies can expand and assist in the evolution of the aftermarket for the B58

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
I have driven the piss out of a late Z4 at the time and it was fun but very dodgy with the predictability of a Miata darting around drifting. Was fun.

The internet is at a craze because a "Supra successor" car is very much 80%+ BMW who are taking credit. No sh!t!

Imagine if Toyota did create a successor in the category of the GTR. The MSRP would have doubled and the internet would have been satisfied.

Relax! :D I am aware of being in a MKV forum amongst closet BMW fanboys but there is more to it than people being overly passionate for the Supra name.

First of all what do you think happened to the production figures of the Z4 in recent years?
I don't agree that ppl would be satisfied if the successor came out as a 100k car...people would start going on about how expensive the car is...and the GTR?! Do you not remember the cries to Nissan when they "ruined" the Skyline heritage?!...and they did everything in-house by themselves. So, there would be critics in any case.
Z4 production figures?...the same things that have happened to all sports cars...they have declined; to the point where the car was pulled from production until now.
And relax?!...I'm not the one who started a petition...I'm not arguing with your opinion as everyone has their own...all I'm saying is that the petition is a leap and unwarranted at this time since it's unbeknownst to us in regards to what Toyota's contribution was in the development of the B58...once again, take a minute and look at the big picture...prior to Toyota, BMW's bread and butter was the N55, which we know wasn't the most resilient motor out there...However, once you look at the timeline and when Toyota stepped into the picture, this Inline-6 underwent some changes (closed deck design, forged crank, multiple ports for cooling...etc) that brought about more similarities to the 2JZ than differences...Hence, this motor may be more "Toyota" than we give it credit to be.
Had Toyota taken this engineering feat solely by themselves starting from nothing, the amount of R&D involved (which, no doubt, they would have afforded) would have yielded the same MKV Supra with a near 100K price tag that WOULD NOT have been a "GTR competitor" but rather, very similar to the car we have coming to the market!

Last edited:

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
Lol...the same things that have happened to all sports cars...they have declined; to the point where the car was pulled from production.
^ Most sensible post here, that would have been a real sales hit!
I think it would've been a nice car for trophy talk...but not a sales hit; sadly GTR sales aren't the greatest right now.

Adkuan89

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camry 2018
Hmmm how about this... you don’t want the badge on the car? Buy one and debadge it. Or buy one and keep the badge. :)

Let’s keep sports cars from completely dying. Or we can have a Supra SUV and MR2 hybrid Prius VI one day like the Eclipse Cross...

123vasakate6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Mazda6 GT, 2016 Lexus LS 600h L, LandCruiser 200
Imagine if Toyota did create a successor in the category of the GTR. The MSRP would have doubled and the internet would have been satisfied.
The internet would be satisfied at first.. but at that price range, sales are nothing like the Z4/Cayman segment. This would probably end up with the Supra becoming stagnant in upgrades à la GTR. They're really pushing for the Supra name at most price points, hence the 4 cylinder versions. I'd rather see the name resurrected and kept fresh with a car most people can actually afford. If an inline 6, 3400 lb, easily tunable car developed with Toyota can't be called the Supra, we should change the forum name to "wehateanyLEGENDARYcarsmadeafterthe1990s.com."