PSA: BMW wireless charging pads are killing NFC chips in iPhone 15 Pros. Here's how to disable the wireless charging pad.

Stiggosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
It has recently been reported that the wireless charging pads in BMWs (and by extension our Supras) are bricking the NFC chip in the new iPhone 15 Pros (and possibly regular 15 as well). Neither Apple or BMW have commented yet on what may be causing this issue. Having just picked up an iPhone 15 Pro this weekend, I'm not too keen on having this happen.

This prompted me to do something I've been wanting to do for a while anyways--disable the wireless charging pad. I'm not a huge fan of wireless charging in general--it's slow, inefficient, and often makes the device you are charging quite warm. It's especially bad when the device isn't locked in place, as is the case with the charging pads in our car.

Took me about 20-30 minutes to disconnect the wireless charging tray using these great interior disassembly instructions. Credit to @GorillaGuy for some fantastic disassembly instructions!

To add a bit more specific details to the process of disabling the wireless charger, here's what you'll need:
  • Trim removal tool
  • T20 screw driver
Steps to Complete:
1.) Follow the instructions in the "Knee Pad" section of the instructions linked above to remove the knee pad and structure immediately next to the driver seat.

2.) Follow the first step of the "Wireless Charger" section of the instructions linked above to unseat the wireless charger pad. You do not need to remove every connector under the wireless charging tray.

3.) At this point, you should be able to reach the connector for the wireless charging tray, but it is admittedly a little tight. This connector is in almost the exact center of the tray. It's a flat connector with about 5-6 colored wires. It should pull straight out with moderate force and does not have any tabs that need to be pressed in order to be removed.

4.) Place your phone on the tray and confirm the blue light does not illuminate.

5.) Tuck the unplugged cable away safely so that it doesn't get snagged or pinched during reassembly.

6.) Set the wireless charging tray back in place and push firmly in all four corners to set it back in place.

7.) Reassemble the knee pad area. The structure removed should slide right back into place. Once screws are back in, the knee pad should click back into place. I found it easier to start at the thinnest part, closest to the cup holder. Once this is set, just give it a good whack all around the edge and they should all click in place.

If you are having trouble reaching the connector in step #3, you can also remove the climate control section just above the wireless charging tray. This is a bit more involved, but still pretty easy (only 2 screws and a single connector that has to be removed). Check the "Climate Control" section of the same linked instructions for details. I was able to remove the wireless charging tray connector without having to do this, but if you ever need to plug it back in you almost certainly will have to remove the climate controls in order to get it plugged back in. I decided to remove the climate controls after I had the wireless charging tray cable disconnected just because I was curious if I could get it plugged back in again. It was relatively easy to do with the climate controls out of the way.

Good luck if you decide to give this a go!
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Mine works so poorly I don’t even need to disconnect, I just took the top of that little piece so it was easier to pull out my phone and in my quad lock case doesn’t charge at all. Win win

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 Toyota MR2, 2023 Toyota Supra MT
You can also put your phone in the tray upside down and it won't activate the charging. That's my lazy way of getting around it XD.

One of these days I'll try and track down the PN for the tray the UAE cars get since iirc they don't get wireless charging at all, and I'll install that. It's horribly slow and turns my phone in to a molten brick anyways.

Much happier just using the USB port if/when I have to charge

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Mine works so poorly I don’t even need to disconnect, I just took the top of that little piece so it was easier to pull out my phone and in my quad lock case doesn’t charge at all. Win win
Yeah same. I have a Pixel, so the camera bar plus my case is enough to keep it from charging.

I don't even keep my phone there anyway, that's my sunglasses spot. Phone either stays in my pocket or goes in my proclip mount.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Yeah same. I have a Pixel, so the camera bar plus my case is enough to keep it from charging.

I don't even keep my phone there anyway, that's my sunglasses spot. Phone either stays in my pocket or goes in my proclip mount.
Interesting. I have a Pixel 7 Pro with a Google branded case, and there's an aftermarket rubber mat in my tray.. even with all that, the wireless charging still works, albeit, very slowly.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting. I have a Pixel 7 Pro with a Google branded case, and there's an aftermarket rubber mat in my tray.. even with all that, the wireless charging still works, albeit, very slowly.
Interesting, I also have a 7 pro but with a pretty thin speigen case and it will not charge not matter how hard I try. My Pixel 6 pro was the same way. Maybe I just have a weaker charging pad.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Interesting, I also have a 7 pro but with a pretty thin speigen case and it will not charge not matter how hard I try. My Pixel 6 pro was the same way. Maybe I just have a weaker charging pad.
I do think there's a variable to the strength of the charge pad, as my 2021 couldn't charge anything with a case on.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I do think there's a variable to the strength of the charge pad, as my 2021 couldn't charge anything with a case on.
That would def make sense. My phone also charges fine in my buddies 2018 X3
Sponsored