Sport Plus mode activated but benefits?

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
I can’t speak Japanese but use the translation feature in Youtube. For me, i feel no difference. But there’re folks claim it’s huge difference tho.
i wonder if these guys read this forum, cos they did an English version.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

a90 Paven

First Name
Paven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra,
Can anyone confirm that throttle response is actually improved.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Can anyone confirm that throttle response is actually improved.
As some of us have shared, it's pretty sensitive in sport+. Whether you feel that's improved or not, is subjective. It's not a tune, so it's not changing if the turbo spools quicker etc...it'd be similar to standard sport if you were just to quickly push the throttle down more.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Finally got to go on a longer drive today. Have it configured as the photo attached. The order of which the Sport button is pressed goes from Normal -> Sport Plus -> Sport/Sport Individual.

Normal (default) = everything normal.
Sport Plus (default) = Damping-Sport, Steering-Sport, Engine-Sport Plus, Trans-Sport Plus
Sport/Sport Individual (as I configured) = Damping-Normal, Steering-Sport, Engine-Sport, Trans-Sport

I left the Engine and Trans in Sport rather than Sport Plus as I felt the throttle to be a bit "touchy" and the gearing held a bit too long for daily driving. I would sometimes notice extra pops from the engine in Sport Plus vs Sport, but that may have just been me.

I prefer the Sport steering regardless of setting and the suspension works better in Sport for daily driving anyway.

Anyone else find a good combination to stick with yet?

IMG_9208.JPG

a90 Paven

First Name
Paven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra,
For daily driving I only put the steering and engine in sport and everything else in normal.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Got the sport plus working on my car last night. Definitely makes it have a touchy throttle. Havent turned on the trans portion of it yet to test. I think it gurgles a bit more too.

So the odd thing, I dont have the sport plus option. I can only put it in sport plus under the "configure individual" setting. So I still only have normal and sport but no 3rd sport plus option.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So the odd thing, I dont have the sport plus option. I can only put it in sport plus under the "configure individual" setting. So I still only have normal and sport but no 3rd sport plus option.
You did both the Head Unit (Supra/Z4) and Body Domain Unit (Z4) coding?

I was actually wondering if it’s possible to code what you have - the options under sport individual program only. I don’t like that it cycles thru Sport Plus mode before Sport Individual on the fly.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra

I was actually wondering if it’s possible to code what you have - the options under sport individual program only. I don’t like that it cycles thru Sport Plus mode before Sport Individual on the fly.
That i did not and is most likely the issue. I did the head unit but not the body module. Explains why I couldn't find the second part.... I'll do it tomorrow if I can find it and report back.

So yes, apparently if you program the head unit only, you dont get the sport plus option by itself. You can only manually program it.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra

An alternative is to enable the car to startup in sport individual - which is what I do. The next press of the button switches to normal, then to sport plus.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
We have an M340i which comes with Sport Plus from BMW. The engine and transmission modes in Sport Plus are definitely different than normal Sport.

I coded Sport Plus on the Supra this week and got about 200 miles on fairly clear roads to test it out. Sport Plus behaves as it does on the M340i: more aggressive throttle curve, gears hold to higher RPMs, and on the Supra, the exhaust gives nice little "barks" on aggressive upshifts. The transmission also upshifts on braking to contribute some engine braking, along with plenty of pops and gurgles. It really is Beast Mode for the Supra. Sport Plus is not the same as ordinary Sport, not by a long shot.

Further, I'm not sure that only the throttle curve is changed in normal/sport/sport plus engine modes. I recall a discussion some years ago when these first appeared that they may be accesssing a different map as well. It's not impossible that BMW enabled a very minor tune/different map in each of these modes. Certainly, the throttle response is more aggressive, by miles. After spending this week of testing, I'm of the opinion that the Sport Plus engine mode is probably more than just throttle mapping. The change in exhaust noises is strong evidence that something more than just throttle curves have been changed. I suppose a dyno could help resolve this.

FYI.

Last edited:

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
An alternative is to enable the car to startup in sport individual - which is what I do. The next press of the button switches to normal, then to sport plus.
I prefer to get the car warmed up in Normal(Comfort) or Normal (Comfort)+, then switch to sport mode when the oil is up to operating temps. Sometimes I do the switch while on the move, but I worry about the lag in double clicking Sport to get to Sport Individual.

I think the sport button doesn't have a lag (been testing this out), but comfort+ has a bit of lag when you try to scroll with the controller. It's like the car doesn't expect there to be an additional option under Normal, and takes an extra click before it reacts.

Nonschlont

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium & Evo X
Made a video explaining this coding & eliminating the Stability Control Popup.

Thanks for sharing!
Added this to my 2021 today.. I can also confirm throttle response is a lil snappier, and not seeing the stability control pop up is nice also!

1slow_mk5

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra. S2000. 328i
Participated in HPDE at Laguna yesterday and pretty much drove it exclusively in Sport Plus and Sport Traction mode. I really enjoyed it. I think Sport would have been fine/same, but not needing to mess with my individual settings was good. Car's a beast.

What dongle did you use for tire temp
Sponsored