Supra MKV or keep building my TT 370Z.

Neciovato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Z Nismo
There is a guy on Instagram that I believe went from a boosted Z to a Supra - might want to reach out to him about some of your questions as well. I was wondering - since I have a Z and have considered boosting it as well - what type of issues have you encountered that is making you consider a change of platform. Personally I feel that when you go from a NA car to a turbo - it's easier to make power in the turbo bc the plumbing is already there to begin with since I hear a lot of Supra owners making good power with just bolt-ons and a tune. Right now - I'm waiting for the new Z to come out to see how it compares to the Supra (I know it won't be as 'buttoned up' as the Supra but since it's reusing a lot of the parts and items from the existing platform - I feel that is why the price might be much lower than other cars out there.

Insta Tag of the person I was referring to is: indy_mkv
Sponsored

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
There is a guy on Instagram that I believe went from a boosted Z to a Supra - might want to reach out to him about some of your questions as well. I was wondering - since I have a Z and have considered boosting it as well - what type of issues have you encountered that is making you consider a change of platform. Personally I feel that when you go from a NA car to a turbo - it's easier to make power in the turbo bc the plumbing is already there to begin with since I hear a lot of Supra owners making good power with just bolt-ons and a tune. Right now - I'm waiting for the new Z to come out to see how it compares to the Supra (I know it won't be as 'buttoned up' as the Supra but since it's reusing a lot of the parts and items from the existing platform - I feel that is why the price might be much lower than other cars out there.

I previously had a GTM stg 2 twin turbo 370Z Nismo.
Car had all the standard issues the Zs have, but with much worse fuel starvation, heat management issues, increased difficulty of any work, serious diminishing returns on upgrades, and not being able to put down all the power as effectively as you'd want to.

1st - boosting your NA car. You need to make sure your motor is healthy enough for it, and second you want to make sure you have all the ancillary components up to snuff as well. Some of those just don't have a lot of options available for upgrading or if options do exist they cost so damn much because no one else does it. (i.e. transmission)

2nd - choose your turbo kit wisely, I've installed a few and they're not all created equally. Some of them had huge design flaws that the turbo was always destined to overboost.

3rd - The car isn't designed for it from the factory(and even in the case of the new Z), it is cramped in that engine bay. Working on things is a nightmare, and if you can't do it yourself, you better believe someone will charge you to have to deal with that nightmare.
Inline 6 vs V6 with turbos added after the fact... I cannot possibly emphasize how much easier upgrades are on the Supra.

TLDR: The aftermarket support and parts available for the Supra are so much greater in just two years than the support for the 370Z after a decade. The Supra takes to mods so much easier than the 370Z does and it is so well behaved with those modifications compared to the Z.

The cost to make my Supra as fast as my turbo 370Z, dp+tune so less than 2k
Time it took to install, less than an hour?

Vs cost on the Z, turbo kit, clutch, radiator, tune, fuel, brakes... ~15k and easily a couple of days of labor and that was with me installing it myself and not paying someone else.

1625696046045.png

1625696233008.png

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Keep the 370z and then sell it for the 400z. Or jump up to the Godzilla level GTR, that 2021 Nismo edition is killer.

-RJM

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Keep the 370z and then sell it for the 400z. Or jump up to the Godzilla level GTR, that 2021 Nismo edition is killer.

-RJM
agreed!! Keep it in the Nissan family!!!

OP
OP

snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370Z TT
There is a guy on Instagram that I believe went from a boosted Z to a Supra - might want to reach out to him about some of your questions as well. I was wondering - since I have a Z and have considered boosting it as well - what type of issues have you encountered that is making you consider a change of platform.

Tbh, the Z boosted 370Z platform is amazing. Yes I had a few small hiccups during the conversion to boost process, but nothing major, all small and easily manageable. I could easily stay on this platform. What I meant about issues with this platform in my original post, is I meant it's been a long journey, and recently the cops have picked on me, so I got annoyed with the situation and want to move to another platform, plus the Supra has been growing on me alot lately. But only the yellow, and grey ones. The other colours do not do anything for me haha

E50 on the stock fuel system is better than E85 on the stock fuel system because you don't need to have boost lowered until the HPFP limit.
Ok, but if I upgrade the fuel system will I be able to run full time e85 like I currently do on my 370Z TT?

I previously had a GTM stg 2 twin turbo 370Z Nismo.
Car had all the standard issues the Zs have, but with much worse fuel starvation, heat management issues, increased difficulty of any work, serious diminishing returns on upgrades, and not being able to put down all the power as effectively as you'd want to.
That is unfortunate for you! I Honestly did not have any of these issues at all on my 370Z TT. No fuel starvation, no heat issues on my TT Z. One problem I agree with there is yes it is hard to properly put the power down on these cars.

1st - boosting your NA car. You need to make sure your motor is healthy enough for it, and second you want to make sure you have all the ancillary components up to snuff as well. Some of those just don't have a lot of options available for upgrading or if options do exist they cost so damn much because no one else does it. (i.e. transmission)
From what I heard, everyone else who has boosted their 370Z has said it was the best thing ever, because the car felt just like it is from factory but much faster, and I can totally agree with that statement. It doesn't feel wonky, or weird or otherwise not like the NA motor was not suppose to feel like. The VQ37 totally works well with boost, it is very well known attribute on this platform. So I am extremely surprised you are against it? I guess each to their own.

TLDR: The aftermarket support and parts available for the Supra are so much greater in just two years than the support for the 370Z after a decade. The Supra takes to mods so much easier than the 370Z does and it is so well behaved with those modifications compared to the Z.
There is endless options of boosting the Z, and tons of aftermarket support for every aspect of boosting the Z, so I am unsure why you made that statement that their isnt much options or support? And once again, why did you say no1 else does it? There is bloody bucket loads of people doing boost conversions on their Z. Buddy where are you getting your information from?

2nd - choose your turbo kit wisely, I've installed a few and they're not all created equally. Some of them had huge design flaws that the turbo was always destined to overboost.
Most kits on the market today are of high quality and had tons of upgrades and developments over the years, that they are very good in performance and reliability. I can't recall having any performance or reliability issues in the 10000 miles I have had my Z boosted besides one of the bolts on the wastegate acutators become threaded which was a $60 fix.

3rd - The car isn't designed for it from the factory(and even in the case of the new Z), it is cramped in that engine bay. Working on things is a nightmare, and if you can't do it yourself, you better believe someone will charge you to have to deal with that nightmare.
Inline 6 vs V6 with turbos added after the fact... I cannot possibly emphasize how much easier upgrades are on the Supra.
Like I said before, there are literally tons of people who have boosted their Z and made the statement it should have been boosted from factory because of how well the VQ37 responds to boost and well it handles it.

My mechanic had no trouble installing and modding my Z, and they never touched a 370Z before my car. I don't believe it would be a nightmare for any experienced mechanic at all, hell I know people are doing it in their bakcyard garages. Supra being easier to mod, maybe so, I don't personally know, but definitely cannot say the Z is a nightmare to upgrade when 100s are boosting theirs every year.

The cost to make my Supra as fast as my turbo 370Z, dp+tune so less than 2k
Time it took to install, less than an hour?

Vs cost on the Z, turbo kit, clutch, radiator, tune, fuel, brakes... ~15k and easily a couple of days of labor and that was with me installing it myself and not paying someone else.
Yes well I guess I can agree with your statement that it costs less to make the Supra as fast or faster, but then we are talking about are more modern and advanced engine, and also another higher end market with the Supra. The supra in my country is 2x the price of the Z, or atleast 1.5x as expensive as when the Z first came out here.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
That is unfortunate for you! I Honestly did not have any of these issues at all on my 370Z TT. No fuel starvation, no heat issues on my TT Z. One problem I agree with there is yes it is hard to properly put the power down on these cars.
Good for you... if you haven't run into it, then you're not going fast enough. Hell the damn cars ran hot from the factory without a turbo. I'd run into fuel starve after only a few laps and would have to top off in between sessions. I'd also have to turn down the boost to keep temps in line for full sessions. That's what happens when hot air is trying to cool off your oil, intercooler, and radiator.

From what I heard, everyone else who has boosted their 370Z has said it was the best thing ever, because the car felt just like it is from factory but much faster, and I can totally agree with that statement. It doesn't feel wonky, or weird or otherwise not like the NA motor was not suppose to feel like. The VQ37 totally works well with boost, it is very well known attribute on this platform. So I am extremely surprised you are against it? I guess each to their own.
I'm not against it, it was fun and I enjoyed it for years. Just compared to the Supra the 370Z is just an old platform that doesn't handle the power anywhere near as well. As for 'factory' sorry, going with an OS Giken or other heavy duty aftermarket clutch to handle the power, coil-overs, etc the car doesn't drive like factory anymore.

There is endless options of boosting the Z, and tons of aftermarket support for every aspect of boosting the Z, so I am unsure why you made that statement that their isnt much options or support? And once again, why did you say no1 else does it? There is bloody bucket loads of people doing boost conversions on their Z. Buddy where are you getting your information from?
Endless options and a lot of them are designed poorly. As for why I made that statement, I've installed GTM, Fast Intentions, a BP single, and worked on a Stillen supercharged Z.
Twin-turbo kits require dropping the motor, and the clearances are a pain in the ass or you're paying someone to install it and do that work. The Stillen kit was hot garbage, and the BP single literally had the wastegate positioned in the classic diagram of where NOT to install a wastegate because it'd never be able to bleed enough exhaust gas out, and sure enough, the boost creep was bad.

As for why I said there's limited support? I haven't checked in a while, but half a decade into the Z34 and there weren't any transmission upgrades for the transmission itself available, that's what makes me say support is terrible. You want to toss on a turbo and run 8-10psi, sure you're good to go. You want to go much higher and what are your options on the transmission itself?

In the early days, it was basically HKS, GTM for the 370Z, or Stillen with their horrible supercharger. Fast Intentions came out later and their kit was decent and then a bunch of really terrible single turbo kits popped up.

Most kits on the market today are of high quality and had tons of upgrades and developments over the years, that they are very good in performance and reliability. I can't recall having any performance or reliability issues in the 10000 miles I have had my Z boosted besides one of the bolts on the wastegate acutators become threaded which was a $60 fix.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHA
'tons of upgrades and developments' read that again, you mean they didn't know how to design a kit properly, released a version and had customers test it out and then released up to v6 or whatever fixing their poor design, THAT's what I mean when I say I've seen some terrible turbo kits
Also, I daily drove and tracked mine for almost 50,000 hard boosted miles, so yeah... come back after you've actually driven that car a bit more and pushed it harder.
Or don't, I really don't care. But to act like because it didn't happen to you, then it must not happen to anyone is just naive. Sorry, I don't exactly put a ton of stock in your understanding of what makes a good turbo kit or 'high quality' based on your previous responses.

Like I said before, there are literally tons of people who have boosted their Z and made the statement it should have been boosted from factory because of how well the VQ37 responds to boost and well it handles it.
And? your point is lots of people did it and think its fast? I've had both... my Supra is way faster and barely touching its potential with so little effort compared to building the Z.

My mechanic had no trouble installing and modding my Z, and they never touched a 370Z before my car. I don't believe it would be a nightmare for any experienced mechanic at all, hell I know people are doing it in their bakcyard garages. Supra being easier to mod, maybe so, I don't personally know, but definitely cannot say the Z is a nightmare to upgrade when 100s are boosting theirs every year.
Again just because lots of people are doing something doesn't mean it isn't a pain to do it.
Again, I am a very experienced mechanic especially on boosted Z's and I have installed several kits on my back and on a lift, no issue doing it. It's just a pain in the ass that if I'm not doing it for myself I'm damn sure charing you a lot of money to do. Look at the pic I posted again, or look at your own kit... look at all that piping, then look at where the turbos are when you have to service anything on them. Then go watch a youtube video of someone upgrading the turbo in the Supra.

Yes well I guess I can agree with your statement that it costs less to make the Supra as fast or faster, but then we are talking about are more modern and advanced engine, and also another higher end market with the Supra. The supra in my country is 2x the price of the Z, or atleast 1.5x as expensive as when the Z first came out here.
1.5X as expensive as the Z, but then what about The Z + all the upgrades is the point, especially for you if you're not doing any of the work yourself and paying labor. At the end of the day, the price isn't that different and the Supra is a far better vehicle with far more potential.

TLDR: Just because a 'shop' sells something doesn't mean its 'quality', just because you don't know about it or it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and just because everyone is doing something doesn't automatically make it a good idea or preclude it from still being a lot of work

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Good for you... if you haven't run into it, then you're not going fast enough. Hell the damn cars ran hot from the factory without a turbo. I'd run into fuel starve after only a few laps and would have to top off in between sessions. I'd also have to turn down the boost to keep temps in line for full sessions. That's what happens when hot air is trying to cool off your oil, intercooler, and radiator.

I'm not against it, it was fun and I enjoyed it for years. Just compared to the Supra the 370Z is just an old platform that doesn't handle the power anywhere near as well. As for 'factory' sorry, going with an OS Giken or other heavy duty aftermarket clutch to handle the power, coil-overs, etc the car doesn't drive like factory anymore.

Endless options and a lot of them are designed poorly. As for why I made that statement, I've installed GTM, Fast Intentions, a BP single, and worked on a Stillen supercharged Z.
Twin-turbo kits require dropping the motor, and the clearances are a pain in the ass or you're paying someone to install it and do that work. The Stillen kit was hot garbage, and the BP single literally had the wastegate positioned in the classic diagram of where NOT to install a wastegate because it'd never be able to bleed enough exhaust gas out, and sure enough, the boost creep was bad.

As for why I said there's limited support? I haven't checked in a while, but half a decade into the Z34 and there weren't any transmission upgrades for the transmission itself available, that's what makes me say support is terrible. You want to toss on a turbo and run 8-10psi, sure you're good to go. You want to go much higher and what are your options on the transmission itself?

In the early days, it was basically HKS, GTM for the 370Z, or Stillen with their horrible supercharger. Fast Intentions came out later and their kit was decent and then a bunch of really terrible single turbo kits popped up.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHA
'tons of upgrades and developments' read that again, you mean they didn't know how to design a kit properly, released a version and had customers test it out and then released up to v6 or whatever fixing their poor design, THAT's what I mean when I say I've seen some terrible turbo kits
Also, I daily drove and tracked mine for almost 50,000 hard boosted miles, so yeah... come back after you've actually driven that car a bit more and pushed it harder.
Or don't, I really don't care. But to act like because it didn't happen to you, then it must not happen to anyone is just naive. Sorry, I don't exactly put a ton of stock in your understanding of what makes a good turbo kit or 'high quality' based on your previous responses.

And? your point is lots of people did it and think its fast? I've had both... my Supra is way faster and barely touching its potential with so little effort compared to building the Z.

Again just because lots of people are doing something doesn't mean it isn't a pain to do it.
Again, I am a very experienced mechanic especially on boosted Z's and I have installed several kits on my back and on a lift, no issue doing it. It's just a pain in the ass that if I'm not doing it for myself I'm damn sure charing you a lot of money to do. Look at the pic I posted again, or look at your own kit... look at all that piping, then look at where the turbos are when you have to service anything on them. Then go watch a youtube video of someone upgrading the turbo in the Supra.

1.5X as expensive as the Z, but then what about The Z + all the upgrades is the point, especially for you if you're not doing any of the work yourself and paying labor. At the end of the day, the price isn't that different and the Supra is a far better vehicle with far more potential.

TLDR: Just because a 'shop' sells something doesn't mean its 'quality', just because you don't know about it or it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and just because everyone is doing something doesn't automatically make it a good idea or preclude it from still being a lot of work
This guy Z’s.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Ok, but if I upgrade the fuel system will I be able to run full time e85 like I currently do on my 370Z TT?
The stock LPFP can support 700whp on E85. Its the HPFP that can't. on E85, it taps out around high 400s. but you can make 500-530whp on the stock HPFP with E30-E50. By upgrading you would do port injection, as there is no HPFP upgrade yet for the TU.

OP
OP

snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370Z TT
The stock LPFP can support 700whp on E85. Its the HPFP that can't. on E85, it taps out around high 400s. but you can make 500-530whp on the stock HPFP with E30-E50. By upgrading you would do port injection, as there is no HPFP upgrade yet for the TU.
Im getting very confused here, so port injection will allow full time e85 to 700whp+

And is e50, just half a tank of pump fuel and half a tank of e85 combined in the tank? So all I need to do is goto a servo and fill up the tank full (50/50) of each? Or is there some other method to achieve e50?

I like the Z, but the Supra is simply a better car. Stock turbo supra will make 500whp. Which will be faster than your 550whp Z all day. Supra has a better trans.
Ok so I have watched about 10 youtube videos of turbo 370Zs racing tuned Supras. And it literally seems that most times than not the turbo 370z is absolutely neck and neck with a tuned Supra, I actually saw the Z win on more occassions than the Supra even when they are the same power for power. Just youtube it, plenty of races of the 2 to see.

But I guess we are talking about a highly modified Z to make turbo, vs a lightly modified and tuned supra, so still very impressive. I was just expecting to see the supra walk the turbo Z on many of the races, but it was not the case out of alot of the videos I watched. Obviously having said that, I am sure the b58 still has far more portential easily.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Just keep your Z dude. You obviously are looking for reasons for to convince yourself why the Supra/B58 platform are inferior. Everyone here did a great job pointing out where it falls short or needs additional aftermarket support.

In short, you have more than the info you need and the tuners who have chimed in have given you professional opinions.

So all that's left for you to do is either buy one or /thread.

Chgu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2013 FR-S
Ok so I have watched about 10 youtube videos of turbo 370Zs racing tuned Supras. And it literally seems that most times than not the turbo 370z is absolutely neck and neck with a tuned Supra, I actually saw the Z win on more occassions than the Supra even when they are the same power for power. Just youtube it, plenty of races of the 2 to see.

But I guess we are talking about a highly modified Z to make turbo, vs a lightly modified and tuned supra, so still very impressive. I was just expecting to see the supra walk the turbo Z on many of the races, but it was not the case out of alot of the videos I watched. Obviously having said that, I am sure the b58 still has far more portential easily.
You sure seem to be dancing around your own point here. Next you'll be saying all you need to do is LS swap your Z, then it'll be no competition. It's already a slippery slope when you're trying to argue whether a HEAVILY modified car that has (possibly tens of) thousands of dollars worth of work is going to be faster than a car with an off the shelf tune and maybe a downpipe. It depends on how much brand loyalty or love for the specific car you have, because you could go crazy and make an Accord as fast or faster than a Supra. Also, you already sunk a lot of cost into the Z, as opposed to having to do financing or whatever for a Supra, and possibly trying to get rid of the Z.

Anyway, it seems like the question is more like "is it worth starting over on a new platform, or continuing to put money into what I have?"

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
The MKV Supra is built way better than a Z. The inline six in the MKV is a better motor for tuning and the engine bay is more suited for ease of wrenching. I am sure you know this, but Z’s (from 300ZX and on) are almost always an engine out affair when installing new turbos. The Z is a 100% Japanese car. Some people prefer this over other features. The main factor here is drivetrain….manual or auto?