Supra property tax outta control.

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium w/Carbon Fiber.
Has anyone else had the property tax on their Supra explode higher? I just got my registration renewal in the mail and it's over $150 higher than last year when the car was brand new. That's insane.
Sponsored

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Has anyone else had the property tax on their Supra explode higher? I just got my registration renewal in the mail and it's over $150 higher than last year when the car was brand new. That's insane.
Yup, I got blasted this year. $1100 in property tax on my Supra which is entirely separate from registration fees.

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
Several state laws base the valuation of the car for tax purposes on current blue book values, and when those values spike like they did in the last few years those tax valuations also spike.

The taxes on our cars here in Missouri spiked last year due to this. In the case of our oldest car the tax amount more than doubled.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Several state laws base the valuation of the car for tax purposes on current blue book values, and when those values spike like they did in the last few years those tax valuations also spike.
That sucks, I wonder why they decided to do that. Colorado's is based on the age and original MSRP, so it can only go down from year to year regardless of what the used market does.

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
That sucks, I wonder why they decided to do that. Colorado's is based on the age and original MSRP, so it can only go down from year to year regardless of what the used market does.
I can only assume that someone in the legislature was upset that the depreciation in value of vehicles wasn't the same in the "real world", but the tax assessment system was claiming it was. One camp probably saw it that they were being over-taxed because the state didn't utilize industry valuation tools, while the other side probably thought they could gin up higher taxes from the rich and their higher value vehicles.

At the end of the day I guarantee you they didn't think of a scenario where all vehicles no matter what or how old suddenly grew in value causing everyone from all walks of life to pay higher taxes. They won't actually STOP it mind you.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Yup, I got blasted this year. $1100 in property tax on my Supra which is entirely separate from registration fees.
What are registration fees like? Are they low like 50 dollars or is it like 800 or something like that?

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Illinois charges 7.5 Sales Tax on cars, and then you pay 151.00 dollars a year to keep your car registered by getting a new sticker to put on your plate - no yearly assessment on your vehicle.

I am paying 15,500 (yes fifteen) dollars yearly property tax on my 3 car garage, 3k sqft home though....

From what I see in NC - its 3% sales tax, then ~28 bux for a sticker, then X amount of dollars a year based on the value of the car.

With that being said I bet you my same house in North Carolina would probably be 4,000 dollars a year or so.
Sponsored