• Total voters

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
I’ve been lurking on one of the Corvette forums and that place is a dumpster fire. To answer your question very few folks are even spec-ing base cars. Many have ordered them and are way over 60K. Most have paid some sort of premium to be ’first in line’ as well. Some folks have even taken delivery of their cars, sold them at a premium and then got back in line for another one.

I won’t buy another car without test driving it first. Did that once and regretted it big time.

That’s one of a few reasons I passed up the Vette and went for the Supra. I don’t think those cars will be in any sort of real supply for another year or so.

A dumpster fire is a great description of many of the folks over there. Man, my neighbor warned me about Corvette guys and said it was one of the reasons he dumped his. He couldn't stand the people at the meets. After checking out the forums , I can see he wasn't lying.

That being said , I'll be looking possibly to get a C8 if I get bored of the Supra and when the C8 depreciates like a rock per norm. The only car meets I go too are non platform specific and open to all so avoiding the usual corvette suspects isn't hard.
Sponsored

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I built a C8 Corvette that I would have been satisfied with which required the 2LT Equipment group (to be comparable with the Supra Premium) and the Z51 performance package (because why would you buy a sports car that comes with all season tires) and optioned in decent wheels. I came up with an MSRP of $73,790

Compared to a Supra premium with driver assistance $56,140 and between rebate and discount I saved $9,000 off MSRP. Corvettes are completely sold out for 2 years at MSRP from what I've seen.

I'll take the $26,650 savings and a car that I will enjoy driving at least as much. I'm buying the supra
I have always liked and owned Corvettes. I priced a C8 pretty much like your build. I am also considering a Vert? There is definitely a C8 in my future. Just not now. I am waiting for the production QC and assembly to get a little better. And also for the hype to calm down.

I love Porsche too but they have gotten expensive. Tough to pick a base Cayman or Boxster for the same money. The C8 is going to be a wake up call for Boxster/Cayman customers.

I am considering a Supra in the meantime. Great bang for the buck and LOTS of fun.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Doesn't matter how fast it is or how cool it looks. you will still have the stigma of being a vette owner.
Life is too short to miss out on stuff. I would hope most people have more self confidence and not care about what people think about their choices in life. It's not like the Supra does not have a stigma. lol.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
There is no debate about which platform is superior. Obviously the mid-engine layout and the 6.2l V8, puts the Corvette a step above the Supra which is a much more conventional sports car.

The main reasons to get the Supra over the C8, is the big price difference (Supra can be had for under the MSRP where the C8s are marked-up), and the reliability/quality (as cool as the Corvette is on the spec sheet, it is still a GM product).

Due to the limited availability and the mark-ups, we don't really need to concern ourselves with this comparison. A couple years from now once the hype dies down and the C8 can be easily had for the msrp, that is when we can start comparing.
People equate Toyota/Lexus with reliability. BMW, not so much. Actually I have never herd BMW mentioned in a sentence with reliability. lol. I love the Supra and M-Cars but BMW QC is questionable. I don't think BMW has anything over GM in terms of reliability.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
People equate Toyota/Lexus with reliability. BMW, not so much. Actually I have never herd BMW mentioned in a sentence with reliability. lol. I love the Supra and M-Cars but BMW QC is questionable. I don't think BMW has anything over GM in terms of reliability.
I have been happy with the reliability of my 2003 MINI JCW. 136K with nothing major (other than items that simply wear out) having gone wrong. So, sometimes BMW gets it right. I am happy within the Supra so far. Every day is an adventure in learning as I discover something else about the car.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I have been happy with the reliability of my 2003 MINI JCW. 136K with nothing major (other than items that simply wear out) having gone wrong. So, sometimes BMW gets it right. I am happy within the Supra so far. Every day is an adventure in learning as I discover something else about the car.
BMW makes some of the most fun cars in the world. They also make some of the most complex cars. The more there is the more to possibly go wrong. I have owned a few, all under warranty. Personally I would never own one without a warranty. BMW does not have a good extended warranty if someone want's to keep a car longer. The Supra is different. It's possible to buy a Toyota backed extended warranty.

I think the supercharged Minis like your '03 JCW are probably less problematic. Most people I talked to back then seem to agree.

It's probably the luck of the draw? The earlier you buy in the generation the higher the odds for possible QC issues. I have owned 3 turbo Cooper S models, 2008-2012. The '08 was the first year of the turbo and my most problematic. The cars got better every year but some issues continued. Severe carbon build up, BMW had to blast the intakes with crushed walnut shells to remove severe carbon build up a couple of times. One car they had to remove the head to clean. ECU electrical issues were problematic too. Then there was body integrity issues, sun roof cassettes would leak.

My 2001 M3 had rear differential and SMG issues. Other recent BMW models have common issues. Oil leaks, electronic issues. The electronics in a modern BMW are complex, there are sensors for everything. Everything seems to be tied together in modern BMWs. A bad seat belt sensor can cause other fault lights somewhere else in a component not seemingly related to it.

The one thing BMW did right for me. Great customer service. No matter the issue, I was always given a loaner every time a car needed service.

Without hesitation, I would buy another BMW product as long as it is under warranty.

Last edited:

Chief131

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Your comparison is wrong - to get a comparably equipped C8 to a Supra Premium, you aren't coming in below 70k. That has priced me out of the category. Besides, Supra has been my dream car since I was in high school........ now that my kids are grown and working (or the youngest in grad school), I can now afford to get my dream car. Corvette is nice - but Supra is me!

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
I couldn't stand owning a corvette. Corvette owners are way too contentious and think because they own a corvette they are part of some master race. It's truly a midlife crises car. And 60k my a$$. Such a joke for this ugly McLaren wannabe. Supra ain't perfect,far from it but, toyota deems it reliable and quality enough to back it with all the same warranties as a camry or a rav. They must be pretty confident in the supra and the 100+ engine changes they forced upon BMWs predecessor engine, in order to birth the Truly CO DEVELOPED B58. Dollar for dollar fun, and longevity and everyday drivability and additionally rarity goes to Supra easily. Seeing a supra is nearly as rare as seeing a new 911, this is facts. If you wanna get duped into a base Vette be my guest lol. You'll feel pretty bad after you realize you've joined a community of people that will hate on your vette because their vette has some special option yours doesn't. Superiority complex= Vette. At least Porsche owners are somewhat more sophisticated. Idk I'm happy with the Supra overall. Could it be better yes, but for the price it's very hard to beat considering what the car does offer. A fully optioned supra that ACTUALLY makes you feel special when you turn your head back to catch another glance at it, and especially when you drive it. The amount of attention Supras get is more than enough for any attention sloot. Meanwhile having the same rarity as a 200k porsche or a 100k cayman 4.0 for 53k with incentives orrr a 100k inflated 2lt vette that every midlife crises dude will own/has...hmmmm lol...

Last edited:

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
pretty true, i've seen more C8's than i have Supra's. Hell i see more GT3 RS' than i do Supra's, thats how rare our cars are.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
pretty true, i've seen more C8's than i have Supra's. Hell i see more GT3 RS' than i do Supra's, thats how rare our cars are.
1500 supras sold per Quarter,limited to around 4.5-5k per year, or 40k first year GM projected sales (29k sold due to obvious limiting factors) Corvette body looks super super RICE, the rear end is already looking dated and it just released! It will look very bad in a year or two, like a cheap Vietnamese Ferrari replica made in a janky shop. (Those kids may have done a better job styling their cardboard Ferarri Fake than GM did in the styling the a!@ end of the Vette LOL.) Supra will look ahead of its time or in the times 5 years from now. Toyota knows what they're doing imo.

Last edited:

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450

Non Supra and non BMW owner clearly.
I have owned over 14 Bmw's over the last 30 years and currently own 3 in addition to Zupra. They are VERY reliable when you keep up with maintenance. Is there more maint then a Chevy? Yes, but they drive 4 times as better. They are the Ultimate driving machines but you have to keep up. If you stay ahead it is really not that bad.

Most non- owners hear from friends of friends that have bought a used 100k BMW for 15k that has never been maintained and they have no idea about the systems of intricacies.

So yes, if you buy a nicely depreciated BMW, that has not been kept on the schedule- yes you spend some coin getting her caught up.

I also believe that BMW has a very high reliability ranking among new owners compared to other brands.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
I couldn't stand owning a corvette. Corvette owners are way too contentious and think because they own a corvette they are part of some master race. It's truly a midlife crises car. And 60k my a$$. Such a joke for this ugly McLaren wannabe. Supra ain't perfect,far from it but, toyota deems it reliable and quality enough to back it with all the same warranties as a camry or a rav. They must be pretty confident in the supra and the 100+ engine changes they forced upon BMWs predecessor engine, in order to birth the Truly CO DEVELOPED B58. Dollar for dollar fun, and longevity and everyday drivability and additionally rarity goes to Supra easily. Seeing a supra is nearly as rare as seeing a new 911, this is facts. If you wanna get duped into a base Vette be my guest lol. You'll feel pretty bad after you realize you've joined a community of people that will hate on your vette because their vette has some special option yours doesn't. Superiority complex= Vette. At least Porsche owners are somewhat more sophisticated. Idk I'm happy with the Supra overall. Could it be better yes, but for the price it's very hard to beat considering what the car does offer. A fully optioned supra that ACTUALLY makes you feel special when you turn your head back to catch another glance at it, and especially when you drive it. The amount of attention Supras get is more than enough for any attention sloot. Meanwhile having the same rarity as a 200k porsche or a 100k cayman 4.0 for 53k with incentives orrr a 100k inflated 2lt vette that every midlife crises dude will own/has...hmmmm lol...
Don't categorize all Corvette owners in one group. It's fine for people not to like it. Most people that I know who own a corvette also have other non corvettes. I happen to own a BMW and a Supra. I like all three, and they each have their quirks and flaws. There were way to many options to choose from on a Corvette. I wish they would have had a few more options on the Supra. It was nice that they had the adaptive cruise control built in, on the BMW its 2 grand extra. I would like a Porche Cayman but the cost is more than I want to pay, and the service is very expensive. They 2 things I don't like about the Supra, is the safety feature that moves the steering wheel if it thinks you are going out of your lane. The first time it tried to prevent me from going into a turn lane it got turned off. I wish they had though to put a release button on the outside of the hatchback. I get tired of having to get the remote or hit the button on the door, and hope I didn't close the door to hard where it cause the hatch to relock. Also I don't like having to worry about Toyota servicing it properly when I bring it in. I luckily have a good dealer that knows what they are doing and has two mechanics certified to work on it. They did suggest not waiting for the service when I brought the car in. I didn't wait and it was done in about 2.5 hours.

If you do own a Supra I would suggest getting the new car replacement insurance on it. If the car gets rear ended, or rear ends someone else, it will most likely be totaled. Go look at the Salvage Supra Registry thread.

I buy and drive a car because I like it, it don't have to feel special because I drive it.
The Supra is a good deal for what you get, and it drives nicely. So don't generalize all Corvette owners in one group. You can say from what you've experienced. The Corvette has been called a midlife crisis car for years there is nothing new about that comment. Many people have had to wait till they were older to afford the one they wanted, due to the cost once the options that are on it, and the cost of the insurance due to their age. My Corvette is actually cheaper to insure than the BMW and Supra.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Don't categorize all Corvette owners in one group. It's fine for people not to like it. Most people that I know who own a corvette also have other non corvettes. I happen to own a BMW and a Supra. I like all three, and they each have their quirks and flaws. There were way to many options to choose from on a Corvette. I wish they would have had a few more options on the Supra. It was nice that they had the adaptive cruise control built in, on the BMW its 2 grand extra. I would like a Porche Cayman but the cost is more than I want to pay, and the service is very expensive. They 2 things I don't like about the Supra, is the safety feature that moves the steering wheel if it thinks you are going out of your lane. The first time it tried to prevent me from going into a turn lane it got turned off. I wish they had though to put a release button on the outside of the hatchback. I get tired of having to get the remote or hit the button on the door, and hope I didn't close the door to hard where it cause the hatch to relock. Also I don't like having to worry about Toyota servicing it properly when I bring it in. I luckily have a good dealer that knows what they are doing and has two mechanics certified to work on it. They did suggest not waiting for the service when I brought the car in. I didn't wait and it was done in about 2.5 hours.

If you do own a Supra I would suggest getting the new car replacement insurance on it. If the car gets rear ended, or rear ends someone else, it will most likely be totaled. Go look at the Salvage Supra Registry thread.

I buy and drive a car because I like it, it don't have to feel special because I drive it.
The Supra is a good deal for what you get, and it drives nicely. So don't generalize all Corvette owners in one group. You can say from what you've experienced. The Corvette has been called a midlife crisis car for years there is nothing new about that comment. Many people have had to wait till they were older to afford the one they wanted, due to the cost once the options that are on it, and the cost of the insurance due to their age. My Corvette is actually cheaper to insure than the BMW and Supra.
Not looking to provide anything new bud, just stating my opinion and how I feel about the Vette, their very clearly toxic ownership community. Don't be mad because what I say is mostly TRUE LOL!
Sponsored