Throttle hesitation

Shanki

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2021 Supra 3.0
This happened to me after I have had my snow tires on with non-stagger setup from yesterday. The car’s traction is not so good atm with those tires, and It happened like 2-4 times in about 40 mins drive. The traction control system is too sensitive I assume.
Sponsored

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Ok. I went around a wet corner today at low speed but enough for the rear tires spin, I’m assuming they spun at different rates because the TC did not kick on. Right after that the hesitation started. I was in normal mode with TC on. I turned it off (one push) and the problem seemed to go away.
Did you try scanning for error and information codes with BimmerLink?

I am having increasingly worse instances of this, the roads are dry so I’m very sure it’s not TC related. I’ve had the power cut due to slip and it’s not the same feeling. I sent the car to the dealer and they came up with nothing. I happen to have a bunch of HPFP info codes due to intermittent long crank start ups.

Recently the throttle hesitation appeared (post safety recall reflash), just as what you described in your first post. Bit the throttle hesitation instances do not trigger any HPFP codes. They would, however, make sense if related.

Do you have any start up issues? My car has long crank instances maybe every two, three months. I thought it was just a low battery, but I know better now. Was there from day 1.

My dealer claims they can’t see the info codes, but I’m starting to suspect their technicians are clearing them. They coincidentally disappear when I ask them to check. It’s frustrating dealing with these issues with clueless dealer support.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I'm so glad I came across this thread! My Supra was just put into hibernation for the winter, but it started doing this occasionally after about 3000 miles or so. The first time it happened, I was pulling forwards out of my uphill (towards the street) driveway, and it seriously did feel like the car had 30 horsepower, just lugging itself up the incline. Of course, I squeezed the pedal until it snapped back into normal response, but it's happened here and there ever since.

I'm wishing all of us would bombard our dealers with complaints about this, and it would become a blip on Toyota's radar that they couldn't ignore. The more complaints that come in, the faster it moves up the chain, the more they hound the engineers for a solution. Also makes me think about getting myself into a free 2022 upgrade if they can't fix it. Hmmmm

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Not scanning but for me it only happens once the wheels lose traction the first time. Dry or wet road conditions.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm so glad I came across this thread! My Supra was just put into hibernation for the winter, but it started doing this occasionally after about 3000 miles or so. The first time it happened, I was pulling forwards out of my uphill (towards the street) driveway, and it seriously did feel like the car had 30 horsepower, just lugging itself up the incline. Of course, I squeezed the pedal until it snapped back into normal response, but it's happened here and there ever since.

I'm wishing all of us would bombard our dealers with complaints about this, and it would become a blip on Toyota's radar that they couldn't ignore. The more complaints that come in, the faster it moves up the chain, the more they hound the engineers for a solution. Also makes me think about getting myself into a free 2022 upgrade if they can't fix it. Hmmmm
When it happened for me on a slope, the needle jumped like crazy but wouldn’t rev beyond 1000rpm. Car did not slip back, going back to idle seemed smooth.

I don’t think my dealer has even escalated it to Toyota yet. I’ve asked them to, but I dont know if they’ve done anything.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not scanning but for me it only happens once the wheels lose traction the first time. Dry or wet road conditions.
This happened to me after I have had my snow tires on with non-stagger setup from yesterday. The car’s traction is not so good atm with those tires, and It happened like 2-4 times in about 40 mins drive. The traction control system is too sensitive I assume.
When TC cuts my power on the street, it’s usually wet roads or a manhole cover, and I’m accelerating a little harder than normal. And there’s a loud thunk in the rear and the power is reduced.

Not quite the same as the throttle hesitation instances I’ve encountered. And cos it eventually recovers, I don’t have a chance to toggle dsc.

SkySupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0

I've had my 22 for almost 2 months now and I've experienced some kind of hesitation in the throttle usually once each time I've driven the car. It usually happens from a stop and when I push down on the throttle in a slow, steady motion. The car wouldn't move much so I would keep pressing down on the accelerator until 1-2 seconds later the engine would wake up and the car suddenly accelerates fast again.

Also, I always drive the car in Sports Mode so I rarely need to press down much on the accelerator to get the car going except when it feels like the car is hesitating for some reason.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
I think the only time this has happened to me was immediately after refueling. I would pull out the gas station and the car would just roll along for a second, then suddenly kick forward and all is back to normal afterwards. This doesn't happen every time I refuel, so in the end I'm not terribly concerned with it.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've had my 22 for almost 2 months now and I've experienced some kind of hesitation in the throttle usually once each time I've driven the car. It usually happens from a stop and when I push down on the throttle in a slow, steady motion. The car wouldn't move much so I would keep pressing down on the accelerator until 1-2 seconds later the engine would wake up and the car suddenly accelerates fast again.

Also, I always drive the car in Sports Mode so I rarely need to press down much on the accelerator to get the car going except when it feels like the car is hesitating for some reason.
Interesting to hear you get this in sport mode. As you mention, you don’t need to press down much to get going typically.

I’ve only encountered this in comfort/comfort+ mode.

Has anyone picked up codes via the obd2?

Brivy

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BRZ, 2012 Wrangler, 2021 Supra 3.0
I have also noticed this happening to me recently as well. As many of you stated it really only occurs from a stop, like at a traffic light or something. But the car feels significantly bogged, I thought it was a traction issue because I’ve only experienced this when it has been cold/wet outside. I only really drive the car in individual/sport mode. Hope we can get some insight on this issue.

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium
I’d like to shine some rays on many and this issue. My Supra here in the snow, not having any traction, does the same where the boost is gone and the car doesn’t have power. I now know that it’s a software nanny to help the car when it doesn’t have traction, it’s not warmed up, or it may think the conditions are not ideal. Here is the reason for this belief, when I turn off traction this immediately goes away. So next time you see your rpm’s not go above 1000 and the the car feels weird like it’s broken go ahead and turn traction off and see how it fixes everything, which to me points out that it’s a nanny, not and issue white the car. This maybe happened 3 times in the last year but now that I’m up north in the ice snow it’s something that happens often when I start to lose control.

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium
By the way I’m always on sports mode.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
I agree with it being software related. I also believe the car is pre-acting with the TC. For me the car acts perfectly normal in normal or sport mode until I lose traction the first time after start up. Once that happens then it’s like the car assumes the conditions are bad and it pulls power until at least 2000 to 2500 rpm from a stop. If I push the TC once the car acts normal.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Small update for me. I have been driving the Supra for the past couple days (Typically only drive it 1-2 times a week). It seems like now that the weather is cooling down (typically high 30s low 40s in the morning), I have experienced the hesitation every day. This only happens after the first fire up in the morning. I let my car warm up for a good 5 min every morning too. It would rarely do it in the warmer weather (maybe once a month). I cant say how long it will stay doing it cause after 4-5 stop signs, I get fed up with it and hit the TC button. But I can say its been very consistent lately. If this stays being the normal, I will take it to the dealer but I am hoping thats not the case.

Carmelo Iverson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 premium
Hello all, this is my first post. I experienced this issue a few times in mine 2022 3.0 with about 800 miles on it. As others have mentioned, it happened when trying to accelerate from a stop. The car would lag, I step harder on the gas, and then it would accelerates rapidly. It happened 1 time with my female parental unit in the passenger, she looked at me like "wtf are you doing?" This would happen after I take a 15-20 minutes drive, turn off the car, and would lag when I try to accelerate from a stop. Just thought I add my experience to the thread.

Happy holidays to everybody!
Sponsored