Track insurance

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
Data point:

1 day @ Homestead Miami Speedway

• Open Track - $339.15 (no cost for additional driver + can add $1m liability for $75)
  • Hagerty - $370.58 (no cost for additional driver)
  • Lockton - $287.65 (not considered for me since I don't see an obvious way to add a second driver)

My perspective on any insurance is "insure what you can't afford (i.e. willing to pay cash for) to replace".
Sponsored

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX
Also, I didn’t know this on my first track day but I could have got a second day for a good discount (-1/2 I think) which I wish I would have done.

Yli

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Also, I didn’t know this on my first track day but I could have got a second day for a good discount (-1/2 I think) which I wish I would have done.
Some will offer 1 price for 1-4 consecutive days. I currently have a yearly with OT, but when I was looking at Lockton I could do ~14 weekends (~28 days) for the same price.

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX
Some will offer 1 price for 1-4 consecutive days. I currently have a yearly with OT, but when I was looking at Lockton I could do ~14 weekends (~28 days) for the same price.
shoot. I was referring to the free track day itself - could’ve gota second day for about half.

I can see the one price for 1-3 days of insurance. Once you crash and not drivable - you won’t be crashing more

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
shoot. I was referring to the free track day itself - could’ve gota second day for about half.

I can see the one price for 1-3 days of insurance. Once you crash and not drivable - you won’t be crashing more

Data point:

1 day @ Homestead Miami Speedway

• Open Track - $339.15 (no cost for additional driver + can add $1m liability for $75)
  • Hagerty - $370.58 (no cost for additional driver)
  • Lockton - $287.65 (not considered for me since I don't see an obvious way to add a second driver)

My perspective on any insurance is "insure what you can't afford (i.e. willing to pay cash for) to replace".
Well said. For 1st timers out there, you’d think they’d offer a discount rate. Or even discounts for those with a clean record - street incidents, tickets, etc.

Lockton annual sounds nice. Thinking for myself, if you could set the amount you want to insure. I wonder if any of them offer insurance for all vehicles & umbrella đŸ€” Be nice to have liability w/out comprehensive & collision (assuming no loans ofc) and track for one car.

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
Well said. For 1st timers out there, you’d think they’d offer a discount rate.
I could see the exact opposite. Between young drivers that think they're going to set a course record on their first session, and old dudes that perpetually drive under the speed limit and just got their first vette. One of them intentionally ignores black flags, the other one is selectively blind to Blue flags. Neither one of them have any idea what their limits are, and some poor sap is getting sandwiched between them.

Yli

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I could see the exact opposite. Between young drivers that think they're going to set a course record on their first session, and old dudes that perpetually drive under the speed limit and just got their first vette. One of them intentionally ignores black flags, the other one is selectively blind to Blue flags. Neither one of them have any idea what their limits are, and some poor sap is getting sandwiched between them.
Ugh, my first track day was all of this.

The dude with the modded 911 S who went off twice trying to set lap records and wouldn't let anyone pass.

The C8 driver who didn't want to get above 3k rpms.

luckily black/blue flags were pointed out by the instructor. But I've been in some solo groups where I'm sitting in pit lane waiting for the 'newly promoted' to actually see the waving black flag and join us all.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Good point! I forget about FCA and other clubs out there, where sometimes they don’t even have instructors or things are lax as đŸ’©. We’re pretty lucky down here. NASA and Chin beginners are instructed and are pretty strict about the monkey business - if you don’t follow the rules. And how would an insurance company police that or pick which clubs? Yeah, that’d be tough

Sponsored