U.S.-Market Toyota Supra Four-Cylinder Officially Announced

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Very well put!!! I got some Honda/Nissan guys that no longer talk to me bc of the A90. I was like wtf.. Itā€™s not that serious man..... lol.

You canā€™t ever please everybody. Somebody will have something to complain about.
Well, it's very similar to the behavior present in almost any area of consumer goods, politics, etc. these days. The amount of time spent by gamers and overclockers debating Intel vs. AMD (or Nvidia vs. AMD) is enough to likely have eclipsed the man hours spent by the engineers at all three companies in designing their products combined. Then there's the long running fights in the "objective vs. subjective" debate on audiophile forums. There's a very weird dynamic (mostly in western culture I think) where ownership of something becomes a reflection of oneself somehow. :crazy:

I couldn't care less if someone has a Mustang or a Corvette, a Porsche or an Audi, or is a JDM "completionist" doing a RHD conversion on their "Sleighty". If you're into cars (especially sports cars) and love driving/modifying them - then we've got more than enough in common to get along just fine. Just because I've owned and enjoyed mostly Japanese cars in my lifetime doesn't make them inherently "better" than anything else - they just tend to have the styling and reliability I prefer.

I was already looking to sample some German offerings before the Supra was even announced and the short time I spent driving a Cayman was incredible (I just didn't like how "stripped down" options-wise it was unless you paid $80K+). Once the details of the Supra were public, I knew I'd be getting one - best of both worlds! I still have some of the Japanese styling I appreciate, but I get to enjoy what BMW has produced as far as the interior and drivetrain. ;)

Despite being reasonably satisfied with my RC-F (and previously my G37S, IS350, 350Z, CRX, etc.) - my "potentials" for the next few years included models from almost every continent - I even seriously considered a Macan GTS they had a screamin' deal on at the time. I can't see willingly wanting any SUV at this point... but if I had to... that would be the one.

Every manufacturer and platform has numerous strengths and weaknesses... I've only owned a few truly horrible cars in my lifetime - but I've never even seen a completely perfect one... at any price. Well, if someone else was paying for it and taking care of maintenance... I'd just have gotten a Ferrari F8 Tributo and been done with it. Tragically, that's not the reality of my life... but the Supra is now - BMW parts and all. :D

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Itā€™d be so lame if this is true. I really like the exclusivity of it... If theyā€™re gonna come out with a cheaper option at least make it look different
Pretty much why I didnā€™t even consider a Mustang, Hellcat, etc. Once it gets cheap, you get lumped in with the bad, fair or not. They are on a cops radar as they see ā€œkidsā€ tearing ass through neighborhoods all the time. A coworker has a GT 350 and he has several tickets even with a detector. None for anything crazy but he says their lights are on before he even gets to them. I have passed many cops on the interstate with a gentle slow down after being tagged with no issues. Perception matters and I really donā€™t want that perception.

Iā€™m betting the price tag will keep the 4-cyl from moving much. Toyota is honestly doing their best to make as many poor decisions as possible with their sports car lineup. Iā€™m fine with the BMW portion, but embrace it and build on it, donā€™t ratfuck this project to an early grave.

Iā€™m waiting for the manual option to wind up as the 3 cylinder from the Yaris at rate.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
And the winner for most ironic post of 2020 goes to... :rolleyes:

Yep I considered it as well... I have a long and mostly good history with Honda also... but then I thought, as a middle aged man, could I really see myself driving that around? If you're going to have people comment about your "midlife crisis" - at least they should think it's a halfway decent one. It's so strange how it seems like more "car people" (though not real ones IMO) are more hung up on the "BMWness" of the Supra, than they are on the Z4 or M cars... and that last guy... LOL!

I've had lots of complementary thoughts about my Toyota and Lexus cars... but absolutely none of them were ever about the interior quality, comfort, performance, tech level, etc... and I've owned some of their priciest models. Nearly bulletproof reliability and fantastic resale value, that's where Toyota has all the points. Being exceptional in any other area? Not since the 90's and likely never again. IMO at least.

Can you imagine what the Interwebs would be like if Toyota had released a 100% Japanese Supra with a twin-turbo making ~600hp - but costing ~$140K? Same amount of hate probably... and from even more non-owner "experts". :nono:
Imagine the Supra with the same ECU as the RCF?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
For the supposedly $40k(ish) 2.0L Supra to be competitive in the U.S. and allow for the turbocharged 230-250hp(ish) GR86 6-speed M/T @ $27k-$30k to shine as well... that 2.0L Supra will need a bump to 275-280hp and a manual option as well.

The 197hp 2.0L used in the German Z4 6-speed manual would not be nearly enough so I would not expect that at all when the GR86 already offers more stock power in the current GT86 model.

The power bump would better differentiate it from the GR86's output and the manual option would differentiate it from the B58C 3.0L I-6 Supra. Decent turbo power and a manual vs 335whp in the standard Supra 3.0 and 400whp+ in the B58D GRMN.

Other than a lower price point by $10k if there is no power bump beyond 250hp and if there is no manual option there will be no unique features for the Supra 2.0L to be appealing on its own other than paying $10k less for a much less powerful engine in a dedicated sports car that you *still* can't manually shift yourself.

Since the B48 2.0L 250hp engine currently has no manual I'd expect it to carry over as-is from the Japanese spec (even though we all know the Z4's 197hp manual will bolt right up to that 2.0L block). However I'd like to believe the employee at my local dealer who claims he drove a 2.0L manual Supra evaluation car at the Toyota HQ in Plano Texas. I'm hopeful and I don't distrust him but all the same I will believe it when it's announced and when I actually see it with my own eyes.

There just isn't much unique appeal other than the lower price in a Supra 2.0 turbo without more than 250hp and without a manual option.

If the plan would be to remove the engine entirely to 2JZ or 1JZ swap it then of course the cheaper Supra is the one to get... but while some will do this it will always be a minority of the overall buyers for this car.

Further, the 2.0L shouldn't be the only Supra to have hope for a manual since EAG proved the BMW 520D 6-speed M/T gearbox bolts right up to the B58C engine. BMW parts bin available 4.10 gears gets the acceleration more closely matched to the current 3.0 ZF8.

Either way Toyota and BMW have a path to correct the desired options for both the 3.0L Supra and the 2.0L Supra an in so doing actually make the 2.0L a decent business case for the buyer (manual option). It would make the Z4 a more attractive car too. But really they should just spend this money on giving that same option to the 3.0L with that 520D gearbox and a shorter final drive ratio.

At the very least we have the GR86 with a turbo and a stick to look forward to if Toyota (and BMW) still refuse to offer it on the Supra.

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
i understand japanese market love the 4 cylinders for fuel efficiency but here in US we dont care. we like POWA!!!

to me having 4 cylinders supra is a slap to us MK5 owners. not enough with people bashing on us with BMW shit, now they gonna say is it 4 ponnies? damn..please keep that stuff out of US market.

call it celica or something else. Supra has always been 6 inline cylinders!

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 MR2 Turbo, 2018 Honda Civic Sport, 2020 Supra
I was thinking about getting the new Civic Type R since I always been a Honda fan. But wanted to get away from that ā€œcrowd.ā€

And was thinking why the hell am would I pay $40k+ for a Civic. I wouldnā€™t be able to live with myself.
Lol
I had the same mindset a couple of years ago when I traded my 2013 WRX hatchback in for the Civic Sport hatchback. I know a couple of people that have the Civic Type R and love it, and having driven it, I understand why. But I still could not justify spending twice as much for the Type R.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Lots of hurt feelings in here. I like it.

That would.... not run very well.
I think he means the RC-F appears tuned closer to the engines top end performance. The Supra has a large amount of power left in it as a tune alone is netting between 40-60 hp depending on just how aggressive it is.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Why is this that much different than Toyota offering both the NA and Turbo MK4 Supra back in the 90's?
Two missing cylinders :p

If Toyota does decide to bring it here I'm curious on how well it will do. History recap, the GE A80s did sold in much lesser numbers than the GTEs.

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 MR2 Turbo, 2018 Honda Civic Sport, 2020 Supra
Two missing cylinders :p

If Toyota does decide to bring it here I'm curious on how well it will do. History recap, the GE A80s did sold in much lesser numbers than the GTEs.
True. Although it is at least still turbocharged. I'm curious how well it will do as well. Especially if it is priced in the mid to high $40k range.
Sponsored