U.S.-Market Toyota Supra Four-Cylinder Officially Announced

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
It'll be interesting to see the price of the 2.0L Supra. In Japan, the SZ-R is about 15% less than the RZ. Assuming the US spec would follow the similar price factor, that would make the US spec 2.0L Supra about 42-43k. That would still make it slightly more expensive than an STI and Civic Type R. Just not sure if it's worth it considering how impractical the Supra is compared to similar hot hatches.

If someone is in the market to spend over 40k for a highly impractical sports car, does saving 7-8k really matter? This makes even less sense if it still comes with an 8 speed auto.
People buy the 4 cylinder RC for $41k to save a few grand over the RC350 for whatever reason
Sponsored

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
People buy the 4 cylinder RC for $41k to save a few grand over the RC350 for whatever reason
Yep. In most cases it seems due to very slightly improved fuel economy figures. I'm always stupefied by this as I can't imagine if that is your primary reason for selecting a car why you'd want a ICE as opposed to electric - and why you'd even be looking at a heavier luxury model in the first place.

Granted that is more prevalent in the fixed-income set where (despite usually driving less than 8K miles per year) they would rather spend money up front for a perceived ROI from fuel savings... which they're never likely to realize.

Will the 4 cylinder have different badging?
I'd be amazed if it did. If they were going to do that, I would have expected the 3.0L would get it... buyers of the cheaper variants would naturally prefer not to advertise that fact to the world. I assume that's why it's often obfuscated with odd naming i.e. the CE/SE/Limited/TRD - the cheaper cars say nothing or have a tiny designation.... the "Limited" and "TRD" versions have it loud and proud in several places however.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
I can't imagine a cheaper looking Supra. What would they need to do to it to make it look different than the 3.0?

1. Cheaper brake calipers that are black?
2. Smaller wheels and tires?
3. Black mirrors and door handles?
4. Cloth seats?

It'll be interesting to see the final product, how they will actually cheapen it.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I can't imagine a cheaper looking Supra. What would they need to do to it to make it look different than the 3.0?

1. Cheaper brake calipers that are black?
2. Smaller wheels and tires?
3. Black mirrors and door handles?
4. Cloth seats?

It'll be interesting to see the final product, how they will actually cheapen it.
That's basically what the lower trim model in Japan is. Smaller brakes, muffler, Alcantara seats, smaller wheels and tires.

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan GT-R R33 ; Toyota Supra MKV
That's basically what the lower trim model in Japan is. Smaller brakes, muffler, Alcantara seats, smaller wheels and tires.
Correct. Below both starting prices from Belgium:
mNWtr4v.jpg

Outside 3D render of the 2.0L
KvyMIRo.jpg

Inside 3D render of the 2.0L (alcantara leather is default):
WPn4ZxV.jpg

One option pack available for the 2.0L which includes:
  • Wireless charging
  • Heads-up display
  • JBL premium sound system
  • 12 speakers
  • Black leather interor
nChcHYj.jpg

Aditionally, you can order the carbon fibre mirrors (603ā‚¬ a piece)
Metallic paint costs 900ā‚¬

For the ones wondering... no there is no manual transmission available and yes it is the 258HP version of the 2.0L

P.S.: Here in Belgium, the GT86 starts at 33400ā‚¬

Last edited:

satindragon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
So 2.0L buyers get pretty much the same look and probably better fuel economy for 15k less. I don't see that as a big deal.

Keep in mind that there's a subset of enthusiasts who care more about how the car looks than all out horsepower. I don't think that Toyota offering a 4 cylinder version diminishes the value of the 3.0L cars.

It's still going to be an expensive sports car even given the smaller engine. This is really no different from the MK4 NA cars. Technology has just made it possible for the cheaper version to be a 4 cylinder turbo instead of 6 cylinder NA. We should be happy that Toyota is throwing money/support behind bringing us the new halo car.

I'm glad the Supra is back. Good times.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Other than the 2.0 being cheaper by probably about 8k, is there a reason to get the 2.0 Supra?

We know it probably wonā€™t get a manual. Itā€™s lighter, but so is a Miata. Unless Iā€™m missing something, I just donā€™t see a big incentive to get the 2.0.

satindragon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
I agree. I prefer the bigger engine. More torque and more responsive. But some people (due to finances or not caring about power) will happily embrace the 2.0L. It's good to have options.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Other than the 2.0 being cheaper by probably about 8k, is there a reason to get the 2.0 Supra?

We know it probably wonā€™t get a manual. Itā€™s lighter, but so is a Miata. Unless Iā€™m missing something, I just donā€™t see a big incentive to get the 2.0.
For the people that want to swap engines possibly.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
For the people that want the look but don't care about the power

Really no different than the NA supra. It looked the exact same. You could get the big wing on it.

Differences were smaller brakes, smaller wheels, different seats...

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
There are many ~250hp 4 cylinder coupes that MSRP over $40k (in the US alteast) such as the Lexus RC300, BMW 430i, BMW Z4 30i, Audi A5, Audi TT, Mercedes C300. There are many many people who want a premium coupe that don't need a sub-5 second 0-60.

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan GT-R R33 ; Toyota Supra MKV
There are many ~250hp 4 cylinder coupes that MSRP over $40k (in the US alteast) such as the Lexus RC300, BMW 430i, BMW Z4 30i, Audi A5, Audi TT, Mercedes C300. There are many many people who want a premium coupe that don't need a sub-5 second 0-60.
Forgot to mention indeed the 0-100km/h (62mph): it is 5.2 seconds
NEDC co-level at 143gr (WLTP co-level at 168gr)
  • 3.0L = NEDC co-level at 170gr (WLTP co-level at 188gr)

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Forgot to mention indeed the 0-100km/h (62mph): it is 5.2 seconds
NEDC co-level at 143gr (WLTP co-level at 168gr)
  • 3.0L = NEDC co-level at 170gr (WLTP co-level at 188gr)
That sounds about right since the Z4 30i has a 0-60 of 5.2s as well.
Sponsored