U.S.-Market Toyota Supra Four-Cylinder Officially Announced

JustaCarguy.

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 WRX Hatchback
If it's 258 then that would be sufficient. That's plenty for everyday driving, my 14 WRX has about that much and it's plenty good for spirited driving and getting from A to B. Although I couldn't see paying 40k+ for a four cylinder with 258hp, idk.
Sponsored

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Although I couldn't see paying 40k+ for a four cylinder with 258hp, idk.
I think the interior might seal the deal with many potential buyers (especially female ones). Subaru definitely builds a decently appointed interior, especially compared to similarly priced compacts, but it's not in the same league as a BMW interior. Of course, some of those points will be lost immediately if they try out the stereo. :confused:

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Supra 2.0 would have to undercut their luxury RWD coupe competitors. It’s a Toyota after all.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Supra 2.0 would have to undercut their luxury RWD coupe competitors. It’s a Toyota after all.
Possibly that's the reason for the delay in introduction... pricing position. Although anyone cross-shopping will likely be different customers (after a test drive at least). Those that want something for driving won't be looking at an RC300 after they drive one - those porkers are useless for that... including the RC-F (unless something magical happens after the 3rd year of ownership). :p

Add in the fact that I've never even seen a Lexus that had no options and was available for at or under the base MSRP... and it's not the same animal at all.

DM7

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 BMW 228i
A 2.0L Supra would replace my 4 cylinder 228i as a commuter and winter daily. The 2.0L Supra sounds like it would be sportier but just as comfortable as a 228i which is compelling to me. As for the 3.0L Supra and M235i, in my opinion BMW engines don't get exciting until you get into the M cars.

Further, the 2.0L shouldn't be the only Supra to have hope for a manual since EAG proved the BMW 520D 6-speed M/T gearbox bolts right up to the B58C engine.
I don't understand why you didn't mention the manual transmissions currently available in the 230i (B48) and the M240i (B58). Is the B58C not compatible with those transmissions? Another note, BMW doesn't sell a manual transmission without auto rev matching. If I don't get to rev match my downshifts I'm going to choose the automatic.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I don't understand why you didn't mention the manual transmissions currently available in the 230i (B48) and the M240i (B58). Is the B58C not compatible with those transmissions?
I was not aware BMW still offered the M240i with a manual transmission let alone a B58 engine. The M2 Competition with its S-engine and manual gearbox yes.

If this is the case then why is the Euro BMW 520D 6MT gearbox the only manual transmission in the BMW parts bin that would bolt right up to the Supra MKV's B58C engine block?

If there is actually an existing B58 engine from BMW that came from the factory with a 6-speed manual gearbox as you say then it's news to me and should be big news for people in the Supra MKV community who want another and better option for converting their Supras to manual transmission.

Another note, BMW doesn't sell a manual transmission without auto rev matching. If I don't get to rev match my downshifts I'm going to choose the automatic.
It's nice (if you can turn it off if you choose to) but personally I could care less either way. It's not a necessary feature and can even get in the way sometimes. Assuming it can be switched off completely it's better in my opinion to initially learn that skill with the new car/transmission without the computer stepping in. Then later I can decide if I want to turn it back on again for any sake of convenience.

Manual vehicle selection is getting slimmer these days but until we get into only gas-electric hybrid and only EV options I'll happily choose a manual car over an automatic car any day. Unless I'm racing. And I'm not.

I daily drive on a 5-speed manual car with a twin disc clutch that predates rev-matching technology by almost 30 years and even that setup is very livable and second nature in all normal driving situations once the clutch is fully broken in and once you get used to it (no, I am not exaggerating).

Any modern performance car with a factory manual with or without rev matching technology is preferable to an automatic IMO.

Again, unless the car is to go racing or unless the manual options dry up once hybrid-electric and full EV fully kill them all off.

Last edited:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I was not aware BMW still offered the M240i with a manual transmission let alone a B58 engine. The M2 Competition with its S-engine and manual gearbox yes.

If this is the case then why is the Euro BMW 520D 6MT gearbox the only manual transmission in the BMW parts bin that would bolt right up to the Supra MKV's B58C engine block?

If there is actually a existing B58 engine from BMW that came from the factory with a 6-speed manual gearbox as you say then it's news to me and should be big news for people in the Supra MKV community who want another and better option for converting their Supras to manual transmission.
The B58 in the M240i doesn’t have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the B58c.

Reactions: DM7

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The B58 in the M240i doesn’t have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the B58c.
^^ Thank you for confirming, Justbake. This is what I have understood for a long time now and his comment to the contrary was very confusing since whole long threads have already exhausted the bell-housing bolt pattern differences.

Last edited:

Supra Man

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
92 Supra(Sold) / 04 Rsx-S(Rip) / 13 Nismo 370z(Current)
It's nice (if you can turn it off if you choose to) but personally I could care less either way. It's not a necessary feature and can even get in the way sometimes. Assuming it can be switched off completely it's better in my opinion to initially learn that skill with the new car/transmission without the computer stepping in. Then later I can decide if I want to turn it back on again for any sake of convenience.

Manual vehicle selection is getting slimmer these days but until we get into only gas-electric hybrid and only EV options I'll happily choose a manual car over an automatic car any day. Unless I'm racing. And I'm not.

I daily drive on a 5-speed manual car with a twin disc clutch that predates rev-matching technology by almost 30 years and even that setup is very livable and second nature in all normal driving situations once the clutch is fully broken in and once you get used to it (no, I am not exaggerating).

Any modern performance car with a factory manual with or without rev matching technology is preferable to an automatic IMO.

Again, unless the car is to go racing or unless the manual options dry up once hybrid-electric and full EV fully kill them all off.
i used to be against the auto rev match but after own the 370z that has it.. it makes it quite fun to drive on spiritual runs.. i can turn it on/off in a touch of a button and sometimes i do turn it off to mess around and refreshen up on my rev match down shifts..

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i used to be against the auto rev match but after own the 370z that has it.. it makes it quite fun to drive on spiritual runs.. i can turn it on/off in a touch of a button and sometimes i do turn it off to mess around and refreshen up on my rev match down shifts..
^^ That sounds great! My preference remains with no assist but so long as there is fully user selectable on/off control I am all for it and will probably experience a rev-match system before long myself.

I don't see it as a necessity with a manual but so long as it is a completely controllable system by driver selection it surely has its advantages in some situations.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I can't imagine a cheaper looking Supra. What would they need to do to it to make it look different than the 3.0?

1. Cheaper brake calipers that are black?
2. Smaller wheels and tires?
3. Black mirrors and door handles?
4. Cloth seats?

It'll be interesting to see the final product, how they will actually cheapen it.

Off the press release:

• The Supra 2.0 uses smaller front brake rotors than the Supra 3.0 (330mm x 24mm vs. 348mm x 36mm), and with single-piston calipers vs. four-piston.
  • The Supra 2.0 does not have the Active Differential and Adaptive Suspension used on the 3.0 model.
  • A four-speaker audio system is standard, vs. the Supra 3.0’s 10-speaker system.
  • Supra 2.0 seats are manually adjustable, vs. 14-way power-adjustable in the 3.0.
  • 8-in. Central Display Screen Now Standard on All Models
Premium still gets same as current Supra.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sounds like one of the first things to do with a 2.0 is a parts bin front brake caliper upgrade. Either the 3.0 4-pot calipers and rotors or some other set.

And if there is no active diff on the 2.0L models does that mean it has an open differential or at least a mechanical limited slip (Torsen or other LSD) that isn’t as trick as the top level active diff?
Sponsored