Would You Drive An EV Tesla?

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
No.

Because Teslas are ass

One of the new Audi eTrons or Porsches however!... Maybe.
Audi and Porsche do make das auto better than Tesla makes the car in terms of quality.

All jokes aside though, I'm taking a human-computer interaction course right now, and it's making me far more aware of why modern car cockpit design is done how it is by so many manufacturers, and how stuff like touchpad-only interfaces, F1 style steering wheels with tons of buttons (like the Ferrari 458 steering wheel), and more are poor design in the context of a public road-going vehicle.
Sponsored

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
Been in and driven all different Tesla models. I can totally understand why so many people like them. But over the years they have gotten more gimmicky with bad designs and useless features. On top of that they are more common on the roads now. They have lost some appeal for me personally. They are kind of becoming the new 3 series as the go to luxury car. At this point I still enjoying the sound and feel of a ICE motor.

In time when they stop making ICE cars I would be willing to buy a electric sports car. But a common 4 door sedan is just less appealing to me. I do like the design of the Porsche/Audi electric cars more than Tesla.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Nope. I like progress. Filling up for an hour or more instead of 3 minutes just doesn't excite me.

LoveSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90 - 2019
No. I will keep my Supra.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Drive one? Sure I’ll drive one around for a little bit. Own one? Absolutely not. I’m not a huge fan of Elon in the first place and I think others are finally catching/passing Tesla. Overall the main reason I wouldn’t is the infrastructure is not there yet. I can’t drive from coast to coast or even charge it at my apartment building garage. Would be too much inconvenience for a car.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Yes, you absolutely can. Both of those things are false.
Taking a proper road trip in a Tesla or any EV is a giant PITA. The range just simply is not long enough and you are constantly worried about getting to the next charging station and then when you get there its at minimum 20 minutes if there isnt a line of cars waiting before you, if there is you are talking an hour. Yes you are correct that you can do it, but its not time efficient and you are waiting hours to re charge for longer trips.

The new Lucid Air has like 500+ miles of range, which is getting closer to making a road trip make sense.

The honest situation about electric cars is our power grid cannot handle mass adoption. We can barely keep our ACs running in many locations, electric cars will push our grids way past their limits.

Overall, I almost bought a Tesla a few years ago. They are cars for people that dont actually like cars. The paint is garbage, fit and finish is garbage, panel gap every where, parts and service are locked down, etc. Taking features away for an owner that bought the car used is a bunch of BS, not providing parts for a wrecked car because you want to repair it but Tesla says you cant. Not interested in dealing with any that crap.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
They are cars for people that dont actually like cars.
That's fine, that's like 99% of people. Cars are a pain in the ass, people hate them, and just want to get to work.

aking a proper road trip in a Tesla or any EV is a giant PITA.
That's just not true. I took the Tesla cross country a few times, Chicago <-> Denver <-> SF <-> Chicago. Chicago -> NYC -> Chicago, no issues or worries or struggles at all. Just plug it in at the hotels just like I did with my phone.

Yes you are correct that you can do it, but its not time efficient and you are waiting hours to re charge for longer trips.
If you're taking a proper road trip, why are you worried about efficiency, just fucking fly if you're in a hurry.

I get about 350 miles or so, give or take, in the Subaru tank. So the number of stops is about the same. When I needed to charge up the Tesla, you just explore the town, eat, walk, hike, whatever when you plug in. It's really not all hard. There's a lot more to a road trip than sitting in the car tryna get to where you're going.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Can’t wait for electric planes. They will have 3 layovers for 6 hour recharge sessions

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can’t wait for electric planes. They will have 3 layovers for 6 hour recharge sessions
In the early days, they absolutely will. And those (corporations) who invested in them will reap the long-term profits.

"Can't wait for major computers companies to switch to ARM. Compiler incompatibilities for days, nothing will work, they'll be slow." Then RaspberryPi -> Apple M1 Chips -> New Intel ARM-based architecture.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe my choice of words should have been I won’t want to drive it coast to coast. I have seen some YouTube videos about people doing electric cannon balls. Tough to charge at my apartment building when they don’t have electric charging stations though, where I’ll be using it 95% of time.

Reactions: zrk

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I would love to have a sport EV. But Tesla's designs don't do anything for me. From the upcoming roadster to the cybertruck... just nothing.

Toyota/Lexus look to have the look that I want from a EV sports car.

The Porsche Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo is also the most glorious wagon ever created in my eyes.

The Karma SC2 concept from back in 2019 is something that I wish would come to fruition... without the insane projected price tag.

SC2-Exterior-scaled.jpg
SC2-Exterior-2-scaled.jpg

It's great to see companies understand that not all EV sports cars need to look like mid engine supercars. Give me that long bonnet look with perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

In the early days, they absolutely will. And those (corporations) who invested in them will reap the long-term profits.

"Can't wait for major computers companies to switch to ARM. Compiler incompatibilities for days, nothing will work, they'll be slow." Then RaspberryPi -> Apple M1 Chips -> New Intel ARM-based architecture.
I was actually bummed out that NVIDIA wasn't able to acquire ARM recently with the resources it has available. The FTC thought that it would stifle competition. Softbank offering it up as an IPO seems like a step in the wrong direction to me.

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was actually bummed out that NVIDIA wasn't able to acquire ARM recently with the resources it has available. The FTC thought that it would stifle competition. Softbank offering it up as an IPO seems like a step in the wrong direction to me.
Absolutely. I would have loved NVIDIA to swoop up ARM and get some real engineering resources behind it.

Fuck everything that Softbank touches. They're always right on industry, but bet on the wrong brand.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tough to charge at my apartment building when they don’t have electric charging stations though, where I’ll be using it 95% of time.
Run an extension cord out there. You can charge on 120v.

I'm being facetious obvious, but you can charge on 120.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
My whole take on this topic is this. While you can travel long distances in a EV I don`t understand why you would want to. Unless your doing it for environmental reasons of course. I also believe within this decade EVs are going to get a lot better and so will the infrastructure. Really don`t understand the rush into EVs people are currently doing.
Sponsored