Auto vs Manual - Which to Buy?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I get that, but for those in the manual-over-everything camp, I’m truly dumbfounded by why the line is drawn at manual gearboxes.

Why not delete ABS and other vehicle stability systems? Why not eliminate all power steering components? “For the sake of engagement!”

I would take Koenigsegg’s manual by wire if I could, FWIW: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...sion-manual-automatic-how-it-works-explained/
Yup exactly! Why stop there? Wind up windows, cassette decks, drum brakes, because old tech is just "better" 🙄
Sponsored

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
From the crankshaft to the input shaft of the transmission, that “thing”in between those two …..
( torque converter) is the same as on any
Automatic transmission, it is not a mechanical connection,as on a clutched car,
It works hydraulically using fluids and vanes.
Wow, this is painful to read. Are you just trying to troll everyone or are you really that out of touch? You do realize that the ZF8 uses a locking torque converter, right? As in, there is a physical clutch inside the transmission that locks the input shaft so there's no slippage once you're moving, just like in a manual.

https://gearstar.com/what-is-lockup-torque-converter/
https://www.zf.com/products/en/cars/products_65854.html

OP
OP
CarGuy11

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra Prem/Assist DS Blue, '16 C7, '22 Mach-E
Those with all these strong options...have you actually driven Supra's with each trans?? If not your opinion is not valid. All trans are not created equal.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Those with all these strong options...have you actually driven Supra's with each trans?? If not your opinion is not valid. All trans are not created equal.
Thank God somebody said it.

If you haven't driven (or better yet OWNED) both, you sound like a fucking moron mouthing off about which one is "best." Remember the Call of Duty kids that haven't fired a gun in their lives, and couldn't operate one if handed to them? Remember how opinionated they were about which gun is better in real life? That's you, as an adult, and a sorry excuse for one at that.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So you ask in your first post what side are we on, and now you're saying we're not allowed an opinion unless we drive both versions?

Which is it?

Maybe just stop making controversial posts to schlep your shitty videos.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Ahhh man. Can’t we just get along? We’re all car enthusiasts here. No need to sling mud over a difference in opinion.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's just funny to read the elitists comments. "I drive a stick YEAH!"

whooptyfkndoo. In Europe we start off in manuals, so congratulations, you're as skilled as a 17 year old European. 🙄
Welcome to the cub scouts, have a cookie.

Someone else here said it perfectly. Cars like the MX5 and BRZ need manuals to make them fun, otherwise they're boring because they're slow as shit.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Yup exactly! Why stop there? Wind up windows, cassette decks, drum brakes, because old tech is just "better" 🙄
There's some truth to that. A friend of mine has a car with ZERO aids - not even power brakes. No radio. Nothing. It's a BLAST to learn to drive.
Not something I would want for myself, on a permanent basis, but fun to borrow every once in a while.

So you ask in your first post what side are we on, and now you're saying we're not allowed an opinion unless we drive both versions?

Which is it?
Often, it means somebody didn't quite get the response they thought they would.

Love these MT vs AT posts. Always turns to a dumpster fire.
I don't know. For the most part, I see some pretty well thought out replies here.
You just have to read between all the idiots with their emotional, subjective postings 🤣

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
There's some truth to that. A friend of mine has a car with ZERO aids - not even power brakes. No radio. Nothing. It's a BLAST to learn to drive.
Not something I would want for myself, on a permanent basis, but fun to borrow every once in a while.

I don't know. For the most part, I see some pretty well thought out replies here.
You just have to read between all the idiots with their emotional, subjective postings 🤣
Usually the first few pages are good. Then it just snowballs till it gets shut down or dies.

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base

I only respect peoples opinion when they know how to use the multi-quote feature versus making individual post back to back to reply to other peoples post. You sir have my respect unlike other noobs.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Usually the first few pages are good. Then it just snowballs till it gets shut down or dies.
🤣 Troof

I only respect peoples opinion when they know how to use the multi-quote feature versus making individual post back to back to reply to other peoples post. You sir have my respect unlike other noobs.
LOL tough crowd!

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
Thank God somebody said it.

If you haven't driven (or better yet OWNED) both, you sound like a fucking moron mouthing off about which one is "best."
False. I actually don’t need to drive either car to know that one trans is better for drifting and the other is better for drag racing.

There are some moronic comments, yes, but not all are explained by not having driven the vehicles.

OP
OP
CarGuy11

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra Prem/Assist DS Blue, '16 C7, '22 Mach-E
False. I actually don’t need to drive either car to know that one trans is better for drifting and the other is better for drag racing.

There are some moronic comments, yes, but not all are explained by not having driven the vehicles.
Actually Auto better for both! Gearing in Auto makes it much easier to drift because you are always in the power band.

Jros3484

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nocturnal 3.0 Premium MT, 4Runner TRD Pro
Personally, I chose the manual due to the experience, engagement, and nostalgia. This is not my daily (4Runner TRD Pro) so it was easy to justify. It’s a fun car for me- more of a mid life crisis mobile than anything. As many have said, it depends greatly on individual preference and purpose. What are YOU looking for.
However, if you’re leaning manual, do it. I believe it will hold its value better and row your own may be nonexistent in a few years. Get the experience now. This car is an impractical enthusiast vehicle… not something designed to go to Costco. Sure, it can go there and has a trunk, but that’s not its purpose.
Sponsored