Catch Cans'

Skeeter

First Name
Cecil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra #935/1500 ,2019 Toyota Highlander, 2002 VW Turbo Beetle, 1997Mazda Miata, 1986 Mustang SVO
I'd like to revisit the Catch Can saga again, and ask a couple of questions about them please. Which is better to have..a PCV side, or a CCV side CC?, or do you need to have both a PCV & a CCV side at the same time? This can get a bit confusing. I have a PCV side that I haven't installed just yet. Now I'm wondering if I need the CCV side at the same time, or will a filter in the valve cover take care of the CCV?
Sponsored

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I've heard from people that have installed catch cans for their B48/B58 motors that they're pretty useless and very little even ends up in the actual can. BMW did have some carbon buildup issues in the past when DI was first introduced but on the B-series engines they seems to have made improvements to keep deposits to a minimum.

Reactions: mrd

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
interesting video. I can see why the mishi can would be failing to catch anything but i would have expected the forge, bms, or verus solutions to catch SOMETHING. From all the threads, ALL systems have always come up dry.

mrd

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
I thought the consensus was that they don’t do anything with the B58 Engine besides look pretty?

-RJM
Great news that I do not have to worry about stupid catch cans in the supra community.

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Great news that I do not have to worry about stupid catch cans in the supra community.
if you like bandaids. Do you want to solve the fact that you are burning oil or just stop at not building up gunk on the valves. If it is the latter all good. If you care that you are recircing oil back into the intake, intercooler, and all the other components leading up to the cylinders, then e85 is meaningless.

jreinlie4

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I found some oil in my intake pipe right where that small hose connects near the turbo after about 1600 miles. There is definitely some blow-by making it into the intake. No oil found in the charge pipe. However, after seeing the oil I installed the BMS Catch Can but haven't driven the car enough to see if it's catching much.

The BMS Catch Can is really designed for the Z4 but certainly still fits. I had to trim ~1" off of both the included hoses because of the altered can placement but outside of that it fit perfect and quality is awesome. I also have the MST intake so clearance with the MST air box wasn't an issue.

I have the 6-Port Verus heat shield coming in a couple weeks so we'll see if there are any clearance issues there.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Learning about this for the first time. Good info

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Anyone figure out if the catch cans help reduce oil or buildup in the intake piping or there are any other solutions for this?

DesertSupra2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 2.0 21 Camry TRD 18 RX350 19 Outback
I called my indy BMW/Mini shop (which has been around 41 years) and asked the owner about having him install a catch can on my 2.0. He said that the B48/58 engines were redesigned in such a way dramatically minimize blow back and he did not recommend installing a catch can. He was on the phone with me for about 20minutes going over the redesign and why he did not think one was needed. He definitely loves his teachable moments with me. I have known him for many years and I brought my previous BMWs to him for service after the warranty period was up. He is a no nonsense guy who I trust.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
I have personally dismantled and inspected the turbo inlet, PCV port + lines, CCV port + lines. I found oil contamination in all three locations, and a measurable buildup of oil-contaminated condensate in the turbo inlet adapter. BMW has built blowby remediation capabilities into the B58 engine, but they are not perfect. I do not agree that catch cans are not required for this car.

I personally recommend a dual catch can setup for these cars to eliminate all oil contamination of the intake system.

//EDIT: For example, here's oil just chilling in the PCV hose after I pulled it off the block. People have said that the B58/Supra doesn't put oil into the PCV, and here's photographic evidence that it's untrue. I found oil on the ID of both PCV hose ends, and the fittings themselves were oily.

1636399298501.png

And here's oil-contaminated blowby sitting in the intake pipe just 200mi after cleaning it out. I took it apart again 500mi later for another mod and could physically pour it out of the pipe into a jar (didn't take a photo). It was at this point I put catch cans in for both vents.

1636399428991.png

And here's what Mishimoto collected off of the CCV after < 1000mi of driving.

1636399543932.png

Jakester

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Just FYI, I just swapped out my intake and found oil build up on the bottom of the intake tube right next to turbo inlet. So there is oil making it down there.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Just FYI, I just swapped out my intake and found oil build up on the bottom of the intake tube right next to turbo inlet. So there is oil making it down there.
I definitely saw some down there last time I had everything opened up. Not as much as @Thraxbert, but it was an amount.
Sponsored