Ecutek, MHD, BM3…Questions

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Reading above I noticed a lot of posts mentioning that each platform (ecutek, BM3, MHD etc) used the same tuning tables.
I believe this to mean they modify the same memory areas of the ECU- functionally the same, not the tunes themselves.
Sponsored

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
I honestly dont have the time to provide the reply's this thread really deserves....

Do they use the same tables? Technically if you have access to the same tables and custom code isn't being hooked then yes, you are using the same tables. But EcuTek is littered with custom code and custom hooks, higher resolution maps, and things happening in the background they simply dont tell others.

MHD & MG Flasher (for exmaple) doesn't even provide "tables" or tune editor.
So, the maps that are changed are only as good as the ones the tuner has access to via TunerPro or WinOLS. BM3 provides a tune editor which is pretty good, but still lacks compared to what EcuTek provides.

So while each platform might have different advantages, EcuTek's advantages are HUGE.
-Tune Editor is organized and well defined maps.
-Tuner Editor and programming works completely offline
-Advanced Datalogging unlike others
-OnTheFly Map Switching
-Flex Fuel
-Integrated Port Injection
-Custom Maps

EcuTek's advanced logging is more advanced. For example if you add a bunch of live data parameter the logging doesn't stop - other platforms do. That's a HUGE advantage for EcuTek.

Most of EcuTek's custom features are 2 years old now, port injection is 1 year old. Just wait until real-time tuning is released. There's a reason most Gen2 B58 use EcuTek.

John
Yes, as i've said numerous times. Ecutek is ahead because of Racerom. As i have always stated clearly, outside the racerom environment every flash platform uses the same tables to create tunes. I agreed that Racerom wins currently. However for an owner not interested in say, map switching, antilog, flex fuel, and etc (racerom). Then there is absolutely a level playing field.

I simply tell people to pick the option that has the feature(s) they want. Because outside the Racerom(ecutek), Custom Rom (BM3), and MHD+Suite(MHD) the flashing platform will give the same results in the end with the right tuner.

A tuner with a DAMOS has the ECU fully mapped and every table on the ecu. Ecutek does not have every table available. But most yes it does. But a competent tuner with a DAMOS has EVERY single table on the ECU fully defined in high resolution for every ROM if they know what they are doing.

Also, MHD can log whatever you want and doesn't really slow down.

Reading above I noticed a lot of posts mentioning that each platform (ecutek, BM3, MHD etc) used the same tuning tables.

I use an OTS map from BM3, would this tune be the same quality as an EcuTek OTS map? Or MHD OTS map?

Or is it only the custom tunes which differ in quality on their respective platforms?
See my post above. Customs tunes will be different because of the tuner, not necessarily because of the flashing platform. same for OTS maps across the platforms

7sstreet

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
I honestly dont have the time to provide the reply's this thread really deserves....

Do they use the same tables? Technically if you have access to the same tables and custom code isn't being hooked then yes, you are using the same tables. But EcuTek is littered with custom code and custom hooks, higher resolution maps, and things happening in the background they simply dont tell others.

MHD & MG Flasher (for exmaple) doesn't even provide "tables" or tune editor.
So, the maps that are changed are only as good as the ones the tuner has access to via TunerPro or WinOLS. BM3 provides a tune editor which is pretty good, but still lacks compared to what EcuTek provides.

So while each platform might have different advantages, EcuTek's advantages are HUGE.
-Tune Editor is organized and well defined maps.
-Tuner Editor and programming works completely offline
-Advanced Datalogging unlike others
-OnTheFly Map Switching
-Flex Fuel
-Integrated Port Injection
-Custom Maps

EcuTek's advanced logging is more advanced. For example if you add a bunch of live data parameter the logging doesn't stop - other platforms do. That's a HUGE advantage for EcuTek.

Most of EcuTek's custom features are 2 years old now, port injection is 1 year old. Just wait until real-time tuning is released. There's a reason most Gen2 B58 use EcuTek.

John
I have map switching, flex fuel and antilag on my BM3 tuned Supra for almost half a year now. This season I’m getting their new controller to do port injection and do a custom tune. Logging is crazy good with BM3 and I started using their built in editor last 2 months, feels great honestly, lightyears better than TunerPro and doesn’t crash randomly all the time like WinOLS. I don’t personally care for offline access as I have internet wherever the heck I am these days.

djbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Pro
I have map switching, flex fuel and antilag on my BM3 tuned Supra for almost half a year now. This season I’m getting their new controller to do port injection and do a custom tune. Logging is crazy good with BM3 and I started using their built in editor last 2 months, feels great honestly, lightyears better than TunerPro and doesn’t crash randomly all the time like WinOLS. I don’t personally care for offline access as I have internet wherever the heck I am these days.
How do you do the map switching? Steering wheel controls?

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I see this has become a heated debated so let me add my 2 cents. I had some fire soup yesterday

rainmanfab

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra A91-CF
Is there a relatively comprehensive table on the forums somewhere that shows advantages/disadvantages between the different tuning platforms? From everything I've read, Ecutek is 10-steps in front of all the other options (and has been since day 1), but it comes at a price. At this point, though, it seems like most tuning platforms offer on-the-fly map switching, rolling anti-lag, and flex-fuel options. If there are tuners that use those platforms, what would I be sacrificing going that route versus clone/Ecutek?

The main problem, at least for those of us with post 6/20 DMEs, is there's going to be a point where going Ecutek is no longer even an option. I'm just trying to iron it out while the option is still available. I don't plan on building my car for at least a couple of years, though. Do any of the experts think a standalone option will become available by then?

rainmanfab

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra A91-CF
Stand-alone will happen.
You think it's close or still a good ways out? The GT-R has a few options, but it's also been out for more than a decade.

I have zero experience with stand-alone units aside from riding in my buddy's LS-swapped Datsun. What kind of things do you typically sacrifice going from factory DME to a stand-alone unit?

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
You think it's close or still a good ways out? The GT-R has a few options, but it's also been out for more than a decade.

I have zero experience with stand-alone units aside from riding in my buddy's LS-swapped Datsun. What kind of things do you typically sacrifice going from factory DME to a stand-alone unit?
Motec definitely has an ecu that will work. Need 2 things to happen first though. 1 - plug and play wiring adapter. 2 - someone to write a supra specific firmware with all the can bus stuff sorted out. Honestly, I think we have a better shot at that than them doing a legit stateside, no clone needed unlock.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You think it's close or still a good ways out?
I'd guess a year or two.

What kind of things do you typically sacrifice going from factory DME to a stand-alone unit?
Literally everything. iDrive, climate controls, heated seats, factory traction, sport mode/normal mode toggle (naitive anyway).

You're literally pulling the brain out of it and replacing it with one designed to control the engine only.

rainmanfab

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra A91-CF
I'd guess a year or two.

Literally everything. iDrive, climate controls, heated seats, factory traction, sport mode/normal mode toggle (naitive anyway).

You're literally pulling the brain out of it and replacing it with one designed to control the engine only.
Ahhh, so absolutely not the way to go for a daily driver/street car.

What are the chances Femto cracks the factory DMEs to offer full unlocks?

Out of curiosity, I'm assuming that if you went with the Femto unlock, if it were to be relocked by a tech after a recall (read quite a few stories about bricked units after the brake recall) you're going to be forking over another $1500 or whatever it is to send it back to Femto to be unlocked again?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ahhh, so absolutely not the way to go for a daily driver/street car.

What are the chances Femto cracks the factory DMEs to offer full unlocks?

Out of curiosity, I'm assuming that if you went with the Femto unlock, if it were to be relocked by a tech after a recall (read quite a few stories about bricked units after the brake recall) you're going to be forking over another $1500 or whatever it is to send it back to Femto to be unlocked again?
Yes with unlock, no with clone- just bench unlock.

7sstreet

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
Is there a relatively comprehensive table on the forums somewhere that shows advantages/disadvantages between the different tuning platforms? From everything I've read, Ecutek is 10-steps in front of all the other options (and has been since day 1), but it comes at a price. At this point, though, it seems like most tuning platforms offer on-the-fly map switching, rolling anti-lag, and flex-fuel options. If there are tuners that use those platforms, what would I be sacrificing going that route versus clone/Ecutek?

The main problem, at least for those of us with post 6/20 DMEs, is there's going to be a point where going Ecutek is no longer even an option. I'm just trying to iron it out while the option is still available. I don't plan on building my car for at least a couple of years, though. Do any of the experts think a standalone option will become available by then?
10-steps how? If you’re talking numbers then its shops pouring money into these cars to go 8s. Every platform almost has features these days and playing field has leveled a lot just not everyone ready to dump 200-500k in a build like some people/shops.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Is there a relatively comprehensive table on the forums somewhere that shows advantages/disadvantages between the different tuning platforms?
I would love to see this too if someone will commit to putting it together and keeping it updated. For those of us choosing right now, and I suspect that number is sizeable (in context), it would also be handy to know which tuner will work with which product. I know that's a lot to ask if it doesn't exist (and I can't find it either).
Sponsored