?? for the peeps who installed their downpipes

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
As stated it’s fairly easy I’ve done multiple. Only the front of the car needs to be up on stands. Just make sure when you’re putting back together that the v band on the turbo to the downpipe is seated correctly. It has a nasty habit of looking mounted correctly but turning out not to be.
Sponsored

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
Just make sure when you’re putting back together that the v band on the turbo to the downpipe is seated correctly. It has a nasty habit of looking mounted correctly but turning out not to be.
This. It's a really good idea to get the vband as loose as possible for both disassembly and reassembly, but once you start tightening it back up, you've gotta make sure it stays straight and centered as you tighten. Not the easiest thing to do when you're on your back underneath the car and you can't see what's going on topside.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
This is a tough question to answer. Some will find it incredibly easy, some will find it more difficult. If you're more mechanically inclined, it's a 30 minutes job. If you're less inclined, it'll take a couple of hours. Really depends on experience.

based on what I've read in this thread, you'll be closer to the 30-minute side of things. There's very little to fuck up over there.

allenh427

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I just did this 2 weeks ago. It's easier with a friend specifically at the very end when you need to connect the exhaust and downpipe again. I had race ramps and felt like I had enough room, and also let me car cool for a few hours. It was a super casual install done in under 2 hours- including dropping the vband nut twice!! but luckily finding it.

I watched these two videos:

You do not need to take off any of the under trays, you'll have enough room. When it was time for the actual install, I followed the second YouTube video I linked because he had a bunch of helpful tips.

HaiFrends

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 GR Supra Nocturnal Black
haven't read the other people's replies, but I enjoyed the install, being my first time doing so. Took a couple hours (I know a pro with proper tools would take like half an hour). i just did jackstands and the tools they say on youtube lol.

nc_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Pro
Did mine myself, followed some of the very good videos on YT as a guide. Took a few hours but I wasn’t really in a rush with it

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
If I have to be on my back on a creeper under the car for more than an hour or two, I'll take it to a shop. But I'm spoiled. With access to a lift or a pit, it would be an easy swap, IMO. That being said, I took it to a shop.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Thanks for the feedback guys! I’ve done some pretty heft projects but I’m no means a mechanic. If it’s just a unbolt/bolt back on I should be good…
It's not bad. I did mine on race ramps and drank a beer while doing it. Took me 2 hours but I was enjoying my time and relaxing. Fast people can get it done in 30 minutes or less.

Just remember routing of the o2 sensor harness routing and don't drop the v-band clamp nut.

Souriall91

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
If you drop the nut, which I did twice, just knock around on the underbelly until you hear it. Then get one of those telescoping magnets and did it out. Or stick your hand in there.
it’s really not that big of a job.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
DP's are cake on supras. If you were in SD, i'd have your car downpipe'd and lowered in an hour. LOL.

For the dp, the procedure goes:
•Unclip/ Unplug O2 sensors.
•loosen V-band, rotate it, then completely remove the bolt and nut. Don't lose these.
•loosen downpipe to exhaust clamp
•loosen nut to rubber exhaust hangar near dp
•remove 2 nuts that hold the DP to the block.
•remove from under the car, gotta do some twisting and turning on the way out, but nothing too major. REMOVE the O2 sensors outside the car, trust me, it's easier.

theeeen just reverse it.

to put it back on, found it easier to mate both ends by putting the downpipe in and putting the 2 nuts that hold it to the block first. Don't tighten them all the way, just put it there to keep the dp from falling. mate the vband side first, get it to sit flush and just hand tight. With the v band still loose, rotate it back to it's factory seating, which is downwards and out of sight. Then mate the exhaust to dp side. Once mated, bolt the rubber hangar, then tighten the exhaust to dp, and then the v-band all the way. THEN do the 2 nuts to the block and you're good. Be sure to clip the O2 sensors back to where they are suppose to go.

Buuut as @zrk said, some people aren't as mechanically inclined so you won't be as quick, but it's still doable, just take your time, smoke some cigs to relax and just go at it lol.

Edit: i did this with jack stands btw. All the downpipe installs i've done were with jackstands. I took more time lifting the car up than the actual DP. Overall still 30 mins. Did it Solo Dolo also. No assistance needed

Last edited:

Vuuduu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
You could do it by yourself but I wouldn't recommend it. You have to jiggle the exhaust and other components, including making sure you don't rip the O2s. I wouldn't do this under the car by yourself.

I installed an AA Catted DP on my car with my friend in his garage with Quick Jacks. Took about 1.5-2 hours. Having someone under the car and another person inside the engine bay makes installation that much easier. I would not try this on jack stands.

If you have the money and trust the shop, I'd have someone else do it. Why not?

Edit: Everyone else posting their install time estimates. My estimate includes raising the car, clean up, lowering the car, making sure it drives fine, etc. As others said, if you're mechanically inclined, you can do it "easily". However, that's with a lift. Trying to do this on jack stands on your back can easily take a couple hours trying to finesse everything by yourself.

OP
OP
GoldenEye

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Wow thanks guys! Definitely sounds easier than some of the other stuff I’ve done, so I’ll have a go. Lucky for me I have huge jack stands from all the Jeeps I’ve built, and a creeper, lol. Stayed tuned in the next few days for pics and update.

Cheers!