• Total voters

pandaman

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
I’m going to be honest and say the likelihood of just being able to “go test a new z” is soooo unlikely. Between the car market the way it is right now and the fact it’s got a cult following its highly unlikely you’ll just be able to go to a dealership and just “test drive” one. They’ll be snapped up by people long before they actually arrive at the dealership.
Yeah zero chance of a test drive without a deposit down and being in line on the list. You may be able to sit in one before the buy comes, but that too will probably require a deposit.

But to the OP - I say get whatever you think you'll enjoy the most and can look at everyday and love it. The cost between the two won't be that significant. I love Toyota and BMW so I bought a Supra. But if someone put me in a Z I wouldn't bitch about it. I tend to love anything that's even remotely fast.
Sponsored

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Seems like that quote is optimistic. The car will cost closer to $45k out the door. LSD cost will probably be closer to $5k due to demand. You may need new wheels to go with the tires, so decent quality ones will probably be close to $4k for a set of wheels and tires, even more depending on wheel quality. Even after that, you're left with a car that still could use bigger brakes and is nose-heavy.
Yeah spot on about the brakes!!! Overlooked / neglected and its THEE most important safety/performance system in ANY car.

Nissan makes shite brakes unless GTR. No thanks. BMW 24/7 on brakes. The king is still any base model Porsche for street brakes. Cayman or 911 the base system is the same. Nissan does not give you what your need there at all.

Adequate - yes. Good.............not in the slightest.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
It would be an easier decision if the 2022 Supra was dual clutch.
Really - lol Mcars have the ZF8. Go drive a ZF8 in manual mode in an area where you can enjoy it. You will not buy the manual ever. If you want to use and manage and PUT THE POWER DOWN you go ZF8.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Why would a dual clutch make a difference? The ZF8 Speed transmission in the Supra shifts incredibly fast. It shifts even faster than that with the xHP tune. The human eye/brain almost can not detect any form of delay/lag on the transmissions shifting in this car, either in sport auto or sport manual shifting via paddles. With the xHP flash, it shifts lightning fast the moment you hit the paddle. I can't imagine if a DCT could actually shift faster tbh, granted I've never driven in or ridden in a car that had a DCT, I just can't imagine it.
I had a DCT 17 M2. Loved it but there is a reason M-Div at BMW is using the ZF8. Its a monster gearbox now. Was raced extensively with the Racing M235i etc. DCT is not as good now. ZF8 is the world standard. Not the slush crap from Mercedes. Your input is correct above. The ZF8 works and is the performance choice around the world.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Yeah zero chance of a test drive without a deposit down and being in line on the list. You may be able to sit in one before the buy comes, but that too will probably require a deposit.

But to the OP - I say get whatever you think you'll enjoy the most and can look at everyday and love it. The cost between the two won't be that significant. I love Toyota and BMW so I bought a Supra. But if someone put me in a Z I wouldn't bitch about it. I tend to love anything that's even remotely fast.
We can all admit to that big time! :)

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
Thanks have read most of those

Agreed . The Supra is a better sports car mechanical , more modern and refined. But its hard to fix ugly. :)
As others have said go with what you like.

If you like the looks of the Z better go with it. The Z isn't faster or a whole ton cheaper when compared to a Supra. But you know what it is? Close enough that if you're willing to spend more you could beat a Supra with less mods.

Is the new Z a Supra killer? No. Mod for mod will it be faster? No. So you want to be faster, just have more mods than the other guy.

Adm aside. 41k for sport, 5k for wheels and tires, 3k for lsd, 3k for brakes and you're at Supra 3.0 price. But you are a bit more customized to your liking. Also unknown at this point, but ecu tuning hopefully won't require an expensive clone and unlock.

So if the ecu tuning is cheaper you can then pay for more parts. The bad, twin turbos = 2x the parts. Labor on that motor will be a whole lot more for an upgraded turbo too. Also unknown is the upper limit on that transmission.

52k with the previously mentioned upgrades, add in fbo, ethanol, some coolers, little weight reduction... just say ball park 8k. And you will walk a stock Supra and probably to those limited to ots piggy back tunes.

But you'll still be stuck inside that cheap interior in a car you've spent 60k on. Then again it's all mental gymnastics that we all go through justifying either.

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
It seems that Z forum members are accepting that the Supra is the superior sports car. They've regressed back to subjective talking points like the Supra's fake vents and their feelings about the BMW collab. What an interesting development this has been.

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Well you've to accept reality at one point.
Pretty sure Nissan benchmarked the Supra during Z dev and despite not meeting Supra perf/etc. they've done the best they could and this is it. For sure many will buy Z as all is subjective and for sure Nismo will be more available than a limited GRMN and perhaps match Supra closer... There's also an established Z cult and aftermarket support....
Z probably will be on sale for 13 years and get many trims, special editions whereas Supra will die in 2026....

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
It’s funny how the PSS is suddenly “arguably the best street tire” when people here (and many other forums) have been shitting on it for years. I suspect some people are confused and think the Supra comes with PS4S.

PSS is an old tire at this point.

One advantage we do have is that it is a star spec tire, with different construction to an off the rack PSS, but it doesn’t keep most Supra owners from changing the tires out as soon as they can.
Its hilarious. If you want to drive in a straight line with no heavy feet and take an exit 10 mph over the speed limit they are a great tire. Anything more then that and I was honestly impressed how fucking terrible of a tire it actually is. Zero feedback, it just breaks away at the rear and starts pushing in the front even in stock trim, with a tune they are completely useless. The PS4S is only marginally better IMO. Much better tires out there.

That all being said I think they should swap tires onto the Z and do a 1:1 test.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
That all being said I think they should swap tires onto the Z and do a 1:1 test.
The Z’s stock tires actually have better dry traction than the PSS. It’d be hilarious if someone swaps the tires and re-tries the comparison just to find the Z is even slower

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
The Z’s stock tires actually have better dry traction than the PSS. It’d be hilarious if someone swaps the tires and re-tries the comparison just to find the Z is even slower
I wouldnt be surprised if that was the outcome.
Sponsored