Nissan Z vs Toyota Supra

Which one gets your vote?

• Total voters

ApexMissingApe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra (sold), BMW M550i, G8 GXP
I can’t speak to how good or bad the new Z is, but I have put a ton of laps around a track in my Supra and even more in my previous car, an SS 1LE. The 1LE was hands down the better track car, but I have so much more fun in the Supra. That edginess that apparently upsets the writers at R&T is an absolute blast for me. How they can say it isn’t fun is baffling. The car demands that you drive well and rewards you when you do, scares you if you fail. The only thing I’d agree with them about is the steering feel. It’s not bad, it just isn’t memorable as the chassis.

I upgraded my sway bars to make the car even more reactive to my inputs. So if they are saying that the Z has so much more body roll than the Supra then there is no way I’d like to drive that thing on the track.

I like the Z, but who asked for a $52k fat Miata? I’d stick with the base model, enjoy what it provided, and stop pretending to be a competitive sports car. It’s a GT.

Last edited:

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
There's a fair bit of body roll in cornering, though the car never feels like it's overworking the tires. That roll, combined with well-weighted steering—and a great steering wheel—give the driver a tangible sense of connection.
On what planet is body roll ever a good thing? What a joke.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I feel like so many of these reviews can be distilled to the same result:
"The Supra is definitely better as a sports car... but the Z is better as a plain car."

OK, sure... but if the majority of the pros column are about comfort and feeling less aggressive - then it should have a back seat and be called a Maxima Coupe. I think it's quite telling that while the Z is reviewed against Mustangs and the Supra... the Supra was regularly reviewed against the Cayman (often S or GTS levels), M3 CS, Lexus RC-F, Hellcat, etc. - all significantly more expensive models.

They may be "rivals" in a historical sense... but certainly since the MKIV days (arguably before that even) they weren't really rivals anywhere else. That was more the role of the Skyline - which was definitely capable of filling the "Supra Killer" role. The Z was always more of a car for "Fair Ladies" :p

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
OK, sure... but if the majority of the pros column are about comfort and feeling less aggressive - then it should have a back seat and be called a Maxima Coupe. I think it's quite telling that while the Z is reviewed against Mustangs and the Supra... the Supra was regularly reviewed against the Cayman (often S or GTS levels), M3 CS, Lexus RC-F, Hellcat, etc. - all significantly more expensive models.
This is an excellent point. It was even benchmarked against the Cayman during its development, among others. The Supra was always expected to punch above its weight.

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
I think the Z vs Supra debate can be summed up by two other sports cars. The Miata vs S2000. The Miata was always more of a softy small GT sports car with its stock or sport suspension setup(Z) while the S2000 was more of a semi hardcore sports car with a more flat and sharper handling characteristic(Supra) and of course it was more pricier than a Miata but also more powerful and faster around a track.

Both cars are essentially bigger versions of the two cars but with a fixed roof.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I can’t speak to how good or bad the new Z is, but I have put a ton of laps around a track in my Supra and even more in my previous car, an SS 1LE. The 1LE was hands down the better track car, but I have so much more fun in the Supra. That edginess that apparently upsets the writers at R&T is an absolute blast for me. How they can say it isn’t fun is baffling. The car demands that you drive well and rewards you when you do, scares you if you fail. The only thing I’d agree with them about is the steering feel. It’s not bad, it just isn’t memorable as the chassis.

I upgraded my sway bars to make the car even more reactive to my inputs. So if they are saying that the Z has so much more body roll than the Supra then there is no way I’d like to drive that thing on the track.

I like the Z, but who asked for a $52k dollar fat Miata? I’d stick with the base model, enjoy what it provided, and stop pretending to be a competitive sports car. It’s a GT.
Add 500$ for the brakes/pads it should come with since the Z is 'so engaging' etc etc etc.

Sorry but it you are buying performance you dont 'upsell' brake pads BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE SHOWROOM LOL

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I feel like so many of these reviews can be distilled to the same result:
"The Supra is definitely better as a sports car... but the Z is better as a plain car."

They may be "rivals" in a historical sense... but certainly since the MKIV days (arguably before that even) they weren't really rivals anywhere else. That was more the role of the Skyline - which was definitely capable of filling the "Supra Killer" role. The Z was always more of a car for "Fair Ladies" :p
The articles reference the Z should read - IF you need an upgraded Infinity G37 Coupe' here it is. Thats exactly what this car is - all based on a 20+ year old 'nostalgia' chassis LOL.

Last edited:

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Them calling the Z a big Miata is an insult to Miatas. I've owned 6 miatas in my time across all generations....loved them...but from what I've experienced in my 6 Zs I've owned they are NOT the same. The 370z I owned was fat and soft...the 19' ND2 I owned handled a lot sharper than the 370z.

The new Z is a heavier 370z so I call BS on the Miata claim. They are just trying to bring the Miata's good name to make the Z buyers that are left feel good about themselves.

R&T is a joke...and that's why I stopped reading their crap a long time ago.

spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981 Boxster GTS, LX570
Or maybe, as radical as it sounds, they just prefer the Z to the Supra? I mean, who cares? If you’re happy with the car, screw what others think. And this is coming from someone who will (likely) get a MT Supra, and has ZERO interest in the Z (owned a Z33, meh, drove a Z34, meh).

Freewill

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra MT, Ford Focus ST, Fiat500Abarth,
For me Throttle House is my go to over all else. I like Car & Driver, Hagerty, Savagegeese, but Road and Track has always been meh. I'd rather go read Consumer Reports than R&T.

I put a deposit down on the Performance Z last winter when the books opened in Canada because I only wanted a car with a manual transmission. Once the Supra MT was announced, I put a deposit down for one and thought I'd wait to see what comes.

I've since cancelled my Z deposit. The Supra is faster, and handles better, validated by numerous sources with track testing. I prefer the Z's cabin to the Supra's due to blind spots, but materials wise the Supra is better. The initial Hagerty video was disappointing for Zed fans, the Savagegeese Dyno video was more bad news for the the Z; the Throttle House video was the one that had me cancel the Zed order. Too softly sprung, brakes and exhaust need upgrading before you drive off the lot...no thanks.

Honestly I'm glad, even though I don't agree with the article, that somebody is giving Nissan the edge. I want these cars to keep being built and getting better each time. Hopefully Nissan sells each one they build and the segment can stay strong. Competition is a good thing, and I doubt the Supra MT would exist had Nissan not made the Z. Between the two I'll pick the fastest that I can still buy with a clutch.
Sponsored