The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

WF MKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
06ā€™ tC, Renaissance Red 3.0 Premium Supra
Iā€™m hoping with this possible ā€œGRMNā€ render itā€™ll be priced in the 50k-60k price range. I know personally Im not into the sticker bomb, huge wing ricer-esque type style of mods. However getting this particular render minus the wing and multi color scheme, getting this in white or maybe red with a carbon fiber hood would be all I need.

Hopefully we will have an option for a manual eventually

dsds

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
n/a
Ditto with everyone else, the longer hood line here works. The section behind the driver, rear quarter area, is longer too it seems. Oh well :(

supra85

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GT86 with Volk 37 SL wheels
Here is some stream: old supra vs new supra

FutureSupra87

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 Pathfinder
As long as its affordable I think they will sell A lot. I guess only time will tell.

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
I want the car in pure form to be great, the car should not have to be torn down and rebuilt right away to be made to what the MKIV was out of the factory.

The car should be a concrete foundation of driving pleasure right out of the box. With a base so solid that aftermarket support would not only be expected but compatible with little to no complication.

The Supra signifies Toyota's masterful over engineering marvel of the 90's and I want the MKV to signify the last great gasoline powered unicorn of the 2000's. Essentially a car that we can all look back at after 20+ years with as much praise as the last JZA80.

Oh and the car must come with a manual transmission to accomplish the above.

:patriot:

anthracite

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 Supra
NA Supra was 220HP. TT was under rated at 320HP (they made more like 350HP). With BPU mods a MKIV makes 450-500whp or 500-550HP at the crank. The MKV needs to make 450-500HP to be in the same territory the MKIV was 25 years ago.

The new Supra is no longer Toyota's halo car. I'd say the Lexus LC 500 F Sport (if it comes out) will be.

Steve K.

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd hardtop & 93 Miata
I think the MKV will satisfy many buyers that have never owned a Supra of previous generations. However, the departure of the MKV from the lineage with its BMW engine and even the fact that it is basically a BMW with a different shell over top is disconcerting.... not to mention no manual.

To answer your question, the Supra has been a dream of mine since I first saw one at age 15 on eBayMotors. It was a Jewel Green MKIV TT.... my favorite color by far and also hard to find these days. Itā€™s one of those cars that Iā€™ll buy and have my entire life. Being completely honest, Iā€™ve never been a huge fan of the generations previous to the MKIV, however, I do have respect for the lineage and seeing the progression in each model.

The Supra to me signifies a no holds bar driving experience. One that the now grown up tuner generation like myself can appreciate. Itā€™s raw, unforgiving, and almost limitless in potential. To me, the progression to the 2JZ shows Toyotaā€™s dedication to their craft... reliable yet fun, powerful with tons of potential.... overengineered.

In addition, the Supra should be tuner friendly and straightforward without added extras that arenā€™t necessities. Just like the MKIV, the Supra should be centered around the driver only... kind of how the ā€œcockpitā€ style dash really wraps around the driver without care for a passenger being in the car.

Above all and most importantly, the Supra should be made by Toyota.... without influence from parties that donā€™t understand the lineage or build cars that have the same characteristics. Oh and sorry to rehash for the millionth time.... a manual option. It MUST have a manual option.

As an aside, Iā€™ve certainly been one of the ā€œnegativeā€ commenters regarding the reveal that you mentioned. I think when youā€™ve been a loyal Toyota fan for as long as myself and they keep disappointing time and time again, you wonā€™t just lay down and take whatever they offer. Positive opinions donā€™t result in changes. Iā€™m sure negative ones donā€™t guarantee anything either but if enough complain about a lack of manual transmission or the desire to get rid of luxury items in the car that donā€™t make sense, maybe Toyota will listen. Itā€™s worth a shot at least and I for one refuse to just buy whatever they decide to slap a Supra name onto regardless of what it is. A badge doesnā€™t make a car. Thatā€™s ok for some people, but Iā€™m not one of them.

CHavoc56

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
87 Supra | 07 SRT8 Charger
Will the new BMW Powered Supra Engine Beat the Legendary 2JZ?

Palm Beach International Raceway is hosting a 2JZ vs. other engines shootout. Looks like its gonna be a lot of fun. Plus another reason to travel to sunny florida in december.

Get Your Tickets Here

2JZ-VS-THE-WORLD-POSTCARD-FRONT-WEB.png
2JZ-VS-THE-WORLD-POSTCARD-BACK-WEB.png

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
What qualifies as "beat"? It'll probably be lighter, smaller, and far more efficient as far as output/weight.

Will it be as strong? No way in hell. There really isn't anything that so gleefully took boost on a stock bottom end since the 2JZ, and I doubt there ever will. The 2JZ is one of those things where all the stars aligned and Toyota was able to make something (some might even say unintentionally) that ended up going far above and beyond what it was originally designed to do.

All that being said, the 2JZ has plenty of faults, as all engines do, and this new engine will too. Just a matter of how severe those faults are and how well the aftermarket works around those faults.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
If you mean as an icon/legend, then no. New ICEs do not have any time left to become icons. ICEs are over, from an enthusiast perspective. With the general loss of interest in emotional cars (mostly sports cars but also 4x4), the ICE is dead. The only thing that counts yet, is badge status and today these cars are BMW X5 M, Mercedes GLE AMG, Porsche Cayenne, Bentley Bentayga, Lamborghini Urus, Audi Q8, Range Rover and Rolls Royce Cullinan.

Last edited: