Throttle hesitation

chase

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I’ve been dealing with this for a while. It does seem to me like this issue happens after a large differential slip happens during a drive (like every time I come out of a steep driveway at a sharp angle to avoid scraping, such that the car is on 3 wheels for a moment).

Today the car stalled on me for the first time (and in a dangerous situation, trying to make a blind right turn into traffic). It bogged down, ignoring the throttle like it usually does but this time it totally died. After starting it back up the throttle hesitation was still there but no stall happened.
Sponsored

tjk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
I’ve been dealing with this for a while. It does seem to me like this issue happens after a large differential slip happens during a drive (like every time I come out of a steep driveway at a sharp angle to avoid scraping, such that the car is on 3 wheels for a moment).

Today the car stalled on me for the first time (and in a dangerous situation, trying to make a blind right turn into traffic). It bogged down, ignoring the throttle like it usually does but this time it totally died. After starting it back up the throttle hesitation was still there but no stall happened.
I was thinking this is related to the 3-wheel situation too at first. But then it did this at a traffic light... it was a minute after it almost stalled at the driveway. Wondering if it can be related.

Fuji808

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nocturnal Supra Premium
I had my first stall at 1200 mi.
Cold start, first startup of the day. Waited for rpm to first drop to 1k then started driving.

I now wait until second drop to 600 rpm (cold start, first startup of the day) then start driving. It has been 500 mi, so far no hesitation or stall.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I was just going to comment on how mine hasn't done it in months and then it happened tonight leaving work.....

I do have to say, I don't think this is caused by the throttle not opening. I messed around with it a little and if you go half throttle, while it's bogging, you can hear the turbo spooling. At 1/4 throttle, you can't hear it. The amount of gas you give it does change the intake sound making me think the blade is still opening.

Then I hit the traction control button and carried on with my horrible drive home.

JustaCarguy.

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 WRX Hatchback
I don't know how this hasn't reached Toyota yet and a recall hasn't been issued. This is a serious safety concern and one of the things that keeps me from being fully invested in a purchase

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I don't know how this hasn't reached Toyota yet and a recall hasn't been issued. This is a serious safety concern and one of the things that keeps me from buying.
Oh it has.

frankenm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
Yea this happened on grid for fucks sake ... I missed a huge opportunity at the last track session toyota corporate was out with their Supras and Camry running the track with us I forgot to ask them about when they are fixing this ...

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
I don't know how this hasn't reached Toyota yet and a recall hasn't been issued. This is a serious safety concern and one of the things that keeps me from buying.
I guess they are waiting for one of us to get into an accident before admitting it’s a fault? Or maybe they aren’t getting many official complaints.

I’ve given up waiting for them to do the right thing and warn all owners before the fix is out. Just gotta make sure to know your legal options when shit hits the fan.

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
I guess they are waiting for one of us to get into an accident before admitting it’s a fault? Or maybe they aren’t getting many official complaints.

I’ve given up waiting for them to do the right thing and warn all owners before the fix is out. Just gotta make sure to know your legal options when shit hits the fan.
Tuesday my car is going in for the (brake) recall. I will try to register a formal complaint and will try to get a (European/Belgian) case number to share here.

Today it happened again. Just a few meters from start point. It was not a dangerous situation but still that unpleasant feeling saying; "yeah that shit exists and will happen when you don't expect it".

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks and noticed this at least twice. I thought it was the JB4. I do work at a Toyota dealership tho, I can get in touch with Toyota Corporate and see what they have to say…

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I had my first stall at 1200 mi.
Cold start, first startup of the day. Waited for rpm to first drop to 1k then started driving.

I now wait until second drop to 600 rpm (cold start, first startup of the day) then start driving. It has been 500 mi, so far no hesitation or stall.
This is the example I follow. I always give it a few minutes after startup to get past the engine protection cycle. If not you’re asking for trouble especially if you need to pull out into traffic.

-RJM

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
This is the example I follow. I always give it a few minutes after startup to get past the engine protection cycle. If not you’re asking for trouble especially if you need to pull out into traffic.

-RJM
While not a bad idea, this might be a solution for the first few stops you make on your route. But in my case it also happens after a drive of few 100km(62miles) and then coming to a stop.
I highly doubt the engine protection cycle keeps active during that whole period 🤷‍♂️

calebc

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra mkv

-RJM
this has happened past 10 mins into cold start if you check this thread. Has happened to me as well.

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
I know this probably has been mentioned already, but do you guys still get this problem when turning traction halfway off? Just one push of the traction button.

Armando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
I know this probably has been mentioned already, but do you guys still get this problem when turning traction halfway off? Just one push of the traction button.
Agree with you 100%. This hesitation issue was happening with me even after waiting for the idle to drop after initial startup. Now I just press the traction control button (deactivate) at initial startup and drive for a few minutes. After a while, I can press the traction control button again (activate) and will not experience any hesitation for the rest of the day.
Sponsored