To M2 or not to M2

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
I still think the car looks much better in this blue. However, I really don't like the front of this thing. It'd look much better if the bottom of the bumper was body colored IMO.
I think black is better. But, I’ve noticed that the scene just does opposite of whatever the car was released with. (For example, black vs body color mirror caps)

Vertical grille slats with frames brings it closer to historical BMW grille design.

IMG_4390.jpeg

IMG_4389.jpeg
Sponsored

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
I was really excited for the new M2. A refresh of the best looking M car in the line up and it was getting the S58? Wow. Then I saw that it had apparently been the victim of a horrible accident and became obese. Hard pass.
Damn. I bet that's what people say about me when they see me. 🤣😫

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
While I was in Mexico, two weeks ago, going to check on my land, we pass by the BMW Factory that this M2 and the 3 Series are made in...its a huge city in the middle of nowhere - pretty cool.
20230623_121312.jpg

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If you click on my pic, between the road and the hills is the plant - looks like a huge city.

You from San Luis Potosi or just visiting?
I'm just messing with you. It's Google Street view screenshot 🤣 taken on Sept 2022.
I'm in automotive, changed a few jobs all with ties to SLP one way or another, but never got to go there. Now, maybe Toluca

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Finally saw one of these on the road in that easter edition smurf blue. Yea, still a big fat NOPE for me.

I drove Evos for almost 20 years, so I am for sure a function over form guy but this one, yea... just NOPE. That said, I thought the Supra looked like garbage when they first came out and here I am...

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Finally saw one of these on the road in that easter edition smurf blue. Yea, still a big fat NOPE for me.

I drove Evos for almost 20 years, so I am for sure a function over form guy but this one, yea... just NOPE. That said, I thought the Supra looked like garbage when they first came out and here I am...
Seeing the Supra in person did it for me - in the pictures I thought it looked weird - almost like the "ambiguously gay duo" car from the SNL skit.

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
I currently drive a Supra, my brother got the first M2 that his dealer got, and I have a G82 M4 on order.

I've spent hours in his car, and I must say that its just an overall better car in my opinion. The interior is top notch. The manual feels good to me, way better than my F82 did a few years back. The S58 engine is wonderful. & I know most dont agree, but I actually think the M2 and the M4 are both good looking cars.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
There was a new M2 at the track this weekend. It was similar to that grey that the Audi RS3 and others come in. Smoothed out all the horrible lines a little and it didn't make me want to vomit instantly like other new M2's I have seen.

I still felt queasy though.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I currently drive a Supra, my brother got the first M2 that his dealer got, and I have a G82 M4 on order.

I've spent hours in his car, and I must say that its just an overall better car in my opinion. The interior is top notch. The manual feels good to me, way better than my F82 did a few years back. The S58 engine is wonderful. & I know most dont agree, but I actually think the M2 and the M4 are both good looking cars.
Was the manual in the M2 comparable to the Supra's though?

I agree about the interior.. It's generations better in the M2.. and the exterior isn't anywhere near as bad as people make out. My issue is cost. Unfortunately as the M2 is much more expensive here, the Supra is the only viable option at its price point. Our cars are really a cut down, budget BMW.

Optimusprimerib

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 manual base
I really like my Supra interior. It’s not too much “screens”. I’m old so less iPad screens to distract me the better. It has all the settings I could ever want if I want to mess with it, but the main settings for me like sport 1 button touch, trac mode 1 button touch, tire check 1 button (programmed to #2) are easy to access with good-feeling (tactile) buttons. Great to just get in and drive. Also, I love the seats and the nice big centered tach. Simple stuff makes me happy.

Only changes required for me is a new thicker, more premium sport wheel from NitroyellowMkV and disabled active sound from speakers.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I really like my Supra interior. It’s not too much “screens”. I’m old so less iPad screens to distract me the better. It has all the settings I could ever want if I want to mess with it, but the main settings for me like sport 1 button touch, trac mode 1 button touch, tire check 1 button (programmed to #2) are easy to access with good-feeling (tactile) buttons. Great to just get in and drive. Also, I love the seats and the nice big centered tach. Simple stuff makes me happy.

Only changes required for me is a new thicker, more premium sport wheel from NitroyellowMkV and disabled active sound from speakers.
I sat in a G42 with the same interior as the new M2. Honestly thought the screens looked tacky. I will say all the different gauge configurations and information you can display on the screens of the M2 looks pretty awesome. Overall I’m with you though. I’d prefer something a bit more old school with tactile buttons.

Last edited:

RandomGuy7890

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A

I agree with you, had an auto Supra, then later bought a manual Supra and also took delivery of a new M2 (auto). Can't speak on the manual M2 but I also think the M2 is an overall better car than the Supra but the face of the M2 is quite ugly.

Ended up selling both the manual Supra and the M2. Later down the road, I may pickup an M3 or M4. Maybe the Supra will get the S58 and that's the car I'll want.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
It has all the settings I could ever want if I want to mess with it, but the main settings for me like sport 1 button touch, trac mode 1 button touch, tire check 1 button (programmed to #2) are easy to access with good-feeling (tactile) buttons. Great to just get in and drive. Also, I love the seats and the nice big centered tach. Simple stuff makes me happy.

OK, I'm going to bite. The interior of the Supra is actually an ergonomic cluster-fuck.

Lets start with the climate control that can't be synced to the drivers side: Idiocy. Then we can talk about how the climate control buttons offer zero tactile location information. Sure they feel OK but you can't actually locate anything without eyeballing it. Yes, I know.. I can remedy this by adding a tiny rinestone on the middle button so I can feel my way around but design wise, it's an absolute shitshow.

Absolutely nothing in the cabin is intuitive or clever. They shoe-horned the manual in and moved the iDrive. This wasn't designed, it was just done. The cup holders. You know, the ones that are in the wrong place so that they can barely be used or create a crevice for your elbow to fall into. Look at the Z4 for a folding armrest that covers these cup holders and creates a usable hidden storage space. Storage space in the Supra is borderline non-existent. Sure, the door cards are good for storing petrol receipts, if they're particularly thin.

The HUD: No rev counter or shift lights in the HUD. And no way to quickly turn it on/off. In fact, the whole instrument cluster is an absolute mess. From oodles of empty space and poorly designed elements to the central rev counter with lines going through the numbers.. What purpose do those lines serve other than looking cluttered and awful?

Lets move to the middle of the tach: The rev lights that are situated in the middle of the tach are beyond useless - I mean they look awful and are certainly not functional in any meaningful way. And the colours: Orange splashed throughout the screen - sometimes mixed with red in sports mode - Were the product designers colour blind as well as stupid? And of course, there's no way to turn off the giant "I don't know how to drive a manual and need the gear number in my face" gear indicator smack bang in the middle. Seriously..

And then there's the media control: Changing a track on the steering wheel requires two button presses.. and what's worse is that the default press is actually "previous track." I mean did anyone actually product test this stuff or did they just kind of dive into the parts bin randomly?

“We're surrounded by anonymous, poorly made objects. It's tempting to think it's because the people who use them don't care - just like the people who make them.”

- Johnathan Ive

And that's just off the top of my head! Maybe I'm more pedantic but thoughtful and well designed stuff makes me happy. I'm just grateful Toyota went to a three year old BMW parts bin and not their own!
Sponsored

Last edited: