👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
^^ This. There is no question that the ZF8-8HP, Porsche's various PDK's and other modern dual clutch and conventional automatics produce faster 0-60 times and generally faster lap times over manual versions of vehicles with more or less the same power to weight ratios as the auto/DCT cars they are compared to.

But manual cars are just really fun and engaging. I daily drive a manual car with a twin disc clutch. It's certainly not for everyone but it's tons of fun to enjoy and I love it on the street. Conversely if I had a car that I primarily intended to campaign in a racing class I'd probably go for a model or build a setup that uses a much more modern transmission that shifts VERY quickly because then the entire point would be to use every advantage allowed in the class rules in order to have the best chance to make the best lap time and best final position.

On the street though I absolutely love a manual transmission and prefer it.

I think it's awesome we'll have both choices soon... which is really how it should have been from the start but so long as they're doing it for a few production years it's fine now.
Exactly, there’s just so much more involvement with driving a manual. Has me considering the Cadillac Blackwing series with the Tremec for an All purpose car for when the Supra is put away.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Hold on if you can….trust me, hold on. I just sold my 2021 Rubicon 2dr when I found out :cool:.
Ooohh... this is quite interesting. TTV6 with a good transmission and that RX350 would be put out to pasture instantly. Hopefully they do it without the inadequacies of the last gen in the areas of brakes and suspension.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Ooohh... this is quite interesting. TTV6 with a good transmission and that RX350 would be put out to pasture instantly. Hopefully they do it without the inadequacies of the last gen in the areas of brakes and suspension.
Okay, so again I am only relaying info here, but supposedly Toyota has been keeping a close eye on Jeep’s (Stallantis) new inline 6 turbo motor (codename Tornado). If this is correct, we will either see more Toyota’s with TT V6’s or even Mazda’s partnership inline 6 turbo across the board. The T4R was supposed to be released in 2021 as a 2022, but that has been postponed to late 2022 as 2023 model. I am super excited for this. :cool:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Okay, so again I am only relaying info here, but supposedly Toyota has been keeping a close eye on Jeep’s (Stallantis) new inline 6 turbo motor (codename Tornado). If this is correct, we will either see more Toyota’s with TT V6’s or even Mazda’s partnership inline 6 turbo across the board. The T4R was supposed to be released in 2021 as a 2022, but that has been postponed to late 2022 as 2023 model. I am super excited for this. :cool:
A different engine would really fuck with tunability, wouldn't it? Especially if it's Bosch or one of the other big players that are doing the HSM thing.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A different engine would really fuck with tunability, wouldn't it? Especially if it's Bosch or one of the other big players that are doing the HSM thing.
Not really to be honest. It will prolong the r&d for tuners in terms of finding a way to do it, but the end result should be great. Also, tuning is the last thing on manufacturers minds nowadays….especially with the EPA cracking their whip harder and harder.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Not really to be honest. It will prolong the r&d for tuners in terms of finding a way to do it, but the end result should be great.
I'm not an expert, but I've made some friends with those who are-- The Bosch's are nearly impossible to crack, I'd expect the next generation of bosch ECUs to be pretty bulletproof.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not an expert, but I've made some friends with those who are-- The Bosch's are nearly impossible to crack, I'd expect the next generation of bosch ECUs to be pretty bulletproof.
Standalone baby! Nothing a M1 or Haltech can’t sort out.

Reactions: zrk

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
The video meme is infamous but this is most likely a shift-by-wire gear selector that is little more than a joystick to send signals to the transmission and ECU to tell the transmission to select another gear.

It's "manual" but not in the sense that we're talking about in this thread in that it's not actually mechanically connecting the physical action of the driver's hand on the lever to force the gear shafts in the transmission to move into different gear mesh positions. What we're seeing in this video is an electronic gear shift "request" system. He's likely not even operating a clutch pedal.

Even if it isn't an electronically automated manual transmission that selector is getting some kind of hydraulic or even pneumatic assistance in order to actually get that big transmission to shift SO easily into gear with that guy making such effortless and dainty movements.

It's a pretty universally funny video though!

Last edited:

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Interesting. This isn’t the swap car is it?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
that looks legit, even has the cane spotted on the previous leaks. which turns out is a rather sturdy screen holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.