GRSupraPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 2023, Tacoma TRD PRO 2022
what market, the car market or housing?
I do real estate investment and travel the island flipping houses also new development construction. Driving a boring car is not an option. The Supra is by a great platform and other than the clutch giving out on me the car is AMAZING AND SUPER FUN TO DRIVE….
Sponsored

OP
OP
GRSupraPR

GRSupraPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 2023, Tacoma TRD PRO 2022
Part of me is wondering if the issue is more isolated to cars in PR. Beside @NitroYellowMKV all of the US issues seem to be self-inflicted.

@kingdooksdb has been tuned for months and beside that one short stint of bad luck, hasn't seen any issues that have come up on the forum. At least that I'm aware of.
In Puerto Rico are a little bit easier to enjoy sports cars than in the states, only problem is hitting a pothole while you are driving like in the autobahn 😂😂😂

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
I wonder how much torque is stock clutch rated at? Hopefully above 420wtq because some stock Supras make that on dynos.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
In Puerto Rico are a little bit easier to enjoy sports cars than in the states, only problem is hitting a pothole while you are driving like in the autobahn 😂😂😂
Oh trust me, I know all about pot holes 😂😂

I think as a group the more data we have, the more we can draw conclusions based in fact rather than theory and speculation. Your thread and the other thread are great places for that if we can use them properly (shit posts still allowed of course)

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
This days social media crying is more efective and cheaper… 😂😂😂😂
I got a refund from Kraftwerks by doing that after their shit failed on me and they sent the replacement part to a different state.

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
Time for an m550i clutch

STi_to_GRzupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra MT Premium, 2021 4Runner TRD Pro
Late to this conversation..
I see people saying to upgrade, etc. That's cool and all... but a stock clutch on a stock car should not need to be upgraded. This is horrible and I feel badly for the owners dealing with this. You can't tell me Toyota didn't put more than 10k miles on their test mules.
Yup, and what about those media cars that every YouTuber and magazine editors drove at the track.

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
One failed (for whatever reason) and people think all will failed 😨, bit of a herd mentality at play

Bet if a aftermarket clutch is available now, shops would be pushing this post ad infinitum to get MT owners onboard to swap out the clutch 😆

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Late to this conversation..
I see people saying to upgrade, etc. That's cool and all... but a stock clutch on a stock car should not need to be upgraded. This is horrible and I feel badly for the owners dealing with this. You can't tell me Toyota didn't put more than 10k miles on their test mules.
Not to add to the hysteria I see inevitably coming but if you wonder about why some mechanical issues don't surface before production the answer is often pretty simple. The people that develop the cars and drive them till they break are professional drivers and they drive them hard to not only test them but to rack up the miles. The problem often is that they don't have the time to drive them like the average punter. You know to and from work stuck in traffic, cold starts, short trips and all the other stuff the average person does to a car in day to day ownership. Lead times are too short and they want the development time to be as short as possible. A lot of the short cold start and engine punishment is done in the engine test cell. Apart from my lifetime in aviation engineering and the automotive and motorcycle engineering world I also have 2 close relatives that worked for over 35 years each at the GMH test ground here in Australia testing and developing cars including some seen in the States. I also had a friend that was an engine test cell operator and spent his days doing engine testing and calibration for the same manufacturer. With engineering feedback and public experience combined with design and production lag it generally takes a new engine or driveline design at least 5 years to fully mature. After that you have to hope they don't start sourcing components from a new supplier that cause issues.
There are other reasons as well that I've been involved with personally but those are stories for another time.
I've just ordered a new DD and I went for a Mazda CX5 Turbo. A large part of that reasoning was it's the end of it's platform life before they go to RWD and straight 6 so it's 10 year old technology. My DD has to be bullet proof first and foremost. It's a proven platform with around 10 years development behind it.

As an example of how all this works from an engineering and operating perspective the example of the Tremec T-56 6 speed gearbox is a good. This gearbox is fitted to a lot of various cars including the 2005 Holden Monaro I used to own (Pontiac GTO) This is a very very good gearbox and will handle 600hp and 600ft/lbs of torque but what it doesn't like is the use of 6th gear at low road speeds. A big torquey V8 will pull 6th no problem at 35mph but regularly doing this damages the gearbox due to the harmonics generated within the gearbox. Rule #1 with the T56 was dont use 6th until you're doing 60mph minimum. A test drive wouldn't even think about shifting into 6th at that speed but plenty of average owners used to use 6th around town and it caused gearbox failures.

Phil

Last edited:

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
But it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to design a clutch that will hold up to normal abuse. They've been doing it for decades. There's no way that they did so little testing as to not be able to simulate 10,000 mi for the average driver.
Not to say that the clutches that are failing haven't been abused with tons of burnouts and donuts.
Even still, I've never seen even an abused clutch wear this fast.
Sponsored

Last edited: