A91-MT CLUTCH GONE💀☠️😵🏴‍☠️🪦

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I am sitting at about 2k miles. Did a spirited shift from 2nd to 3rd gear and thought I had mis shifted as the revs started going down and I was not in the 3rd. The more I think about it the more I believe this may be a symptom of this issue. No issues since and I take my time with deliberately shifting into gear.
When the clutch slips, RPMs would shoot up, not go down.

It sounds more like you went into 5th instead of 3rd.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
The Z folks are probably having a field day with this. And deservedly so…
It's quite a different story though...our clutches might be a little crappy, but their entire transmission is a box of detritus and everyone knows it.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
All 14 owners that got a car and sending them in for the 3rd gear replacement…. Nah hahaha
Does make you wonder a little… nowadays how many shots taken at the Supra on the Z forum are posted via the WiFi of a Nissan service waiting room.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
What you don't understand is that it's not necessarily about outright abuse. There are people out there that don't even know when a clutch is slipping. The Focus RS forum has seen at least a dozen of them over the last 6 years. "Sometimes when the engine hits boost it revs up but the car doesn't seem to accelerate" what is causing this?' No really. When you drive around for a thousand miles unaware of a slipping clutch it's not actually abuse that's causing the failure it's ignorance. Another non abusive way to wreck a clutch is sitting at the lights with the clutch disengaged. Not even holding the car on a hill at the friction point but just sitting there holding the pedal down for 2 or 3 minutes. Heats up the friction plate and glazes the flywheel and pressure plate faces and also massively reduces the life of the thrust bearing. Once again not abuse just an unawareness of the mechanical realities.
Anyway I'm not commenting anymore as the subject is getting far more traction than it deserves.

Phil
I think you might be onto something here. I tore up the stock clutch in my GTI years ago because I lugged the engine too much on my commute, despite being stock tune at the time. Not making the same mistake in my MT Supra. Definitely could be some user-error here. Don't WOT at all in 4-6th unless you are 3k rpm+. It can be tempting since the B58 has so much torque down low, but that's what will destroy your clutch.

That's not to excuse Toyota for putting a paper clutch in the car, but there's definitely opportunity to mitigate it.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I think you might be onto something here. I tore up the stock clutch in my GTI years ago because I lugged the engine too much on my commute, despite being stock tune at the time. Not making the same mistake in my MT Supra. Definitely could be some user-error here. Don't WOT at all in 4-6th unless you are 3k rpm+. It can be tempting since the B58 has so much torque down low, but that's what will destroy your clutch.

That's not to excuse Toyota for putting a paper clutch in the car, but there's definitely opportunity to mitigate it.
Absolutely. In the case of the Chevrolet Gen111/T56 gearbox combo it was the gearbox that suffered but it could easily have been the clutch instead. The Focus RS Mk111's can suffer from LSPI failures as did WRX Subaru's because owners used to regularly go WOT or close to it at lowish RPM in 5th/6th gear. The reason for that is because the modern turbo engine is designed to produce lots of torque low in the rev range unlike years ago where it was all about the top end. This leads people into short shifting them and they don't really like it mechanically. Similar principle to the gearbox and clutch. So although I haven't yet driven a manual Supra my driving style will almost certainly be be the same as it has for the last 20 years with manuals and is currently with the Focus RS and that is under 80kph it's no higher than 4th gear and 6th doesn't come into play until a minimum of 100kph. using slightly higher revs won't hurt an engine but letting them drop down the rev range to to the lower levels is a risk mechanically to the drive line. This goes back to my original point about pre release testing. Factory drivers don't drive cars like that, they drive them like they are a performance car because thats basically what they are. They don't nanny them around which can be an issue for certain owners down the line sometimes. There's more to driving a manual properly than heel and toeing.

Phil

OP
OP
GRSupraPR

GRSupraPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 2023, Tacoma TRD PRO 2022
One failed (for whatever reason) and people think all will failed 😨, bit of a herd mentality at play

Bet if a aftermarket clutch is available now, shops would be pushing this post ad infinitum to get MT owners onboard to swap out the clutch 😆
If is better than stock Im game on paying whatever 😂😂💪

Prowl647

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 4Runner, gt350 (sold)
When the clutch slips, RPMs would shoot up, not go down.

It sounds more like you went into 5th instead of 3rd.
my mistake. Guess I meant to say I wasn’t moving forward any faster and mph was dropping not the revs

sstevecc82

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
Did you ask for pictures of the clutch/flywheel?

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Do we even know the failure mode of the clutch? There are several reason a clutch can start slipping without the clutch itself actually failing. For example, if gear oil gets on the friction disk, you'll often get slipping. Sometimes even intermittent slipping rather than permanent slipping.

This happened to me twice on two different cars. First time, it was a failed pressure relief valve in the gearbox. When it failed, gear oil would eventually get pushed out of the gearbox and onto the friction disk. The second time, it was the transmission input shaft seal that failed and also caused gear oil to get on the clutch disk. Same thing can happen if a rear main seal leaks.

It's still a bad situation, but everyone is condemning the clutch and I'm not so sure that we even know that these issues are the result of a weak clutch. My guess is that there's something else going on. I've modded many manual transmission cars that ran just fine on the stock clutch despite having 50% more power than stock.

ALthupra

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A-91 MT, Audi s3
It's quite a different story though...our clutches might be a little crappy, but their entire transmission is a box of detritus and everyone knows it.

You have aquariums don't you?

xkyo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra MT prem/2020 AG Taco Pro/Model Y perform
so much chatter in here, stop going left right up down and post some videos. Only a hand full of people said they have issues out of the hundreds of manuals out in the wild. Theres people running jb4 and tracking the shit out of the car no issues. Anyways, i'll let yall panic sell and turn over to a new patch of sheeps.
Sponsored