A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

PotatoMafia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
its great that at least now theres a solution, so hopefully it will come down a bit. im probably going to wait and see until march~june time, hopefully the prices will come down and there will be an option that isnt going to have as large turnaround time/ remote option since this is my only car lol.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
The method being used won't be coming down too much in price if at all. There are a lot of moving parts for this solution which includes getting a 2020 ECU and utilizing multiple services.

2021 ECUs are still locked, but at least now there is a workaround for those wanting to have a tuneable post June 2021 car.

Reactions: zrk

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
The method being used won't be coming down too much in price if at all. There are a lot of moving parts for this solution which includes getting a 2020 ECU and utilizing multiple services.

2021 ECUs are still locked, but at least now there is a workaround for those wanting to have a tuneable post June 2021 car.
I wonder how they are getting a 2020 ecu. Buying wrecked cars maybe?

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent news for the entire community, even if you're already tuneable. I don't think the GTM pricing is too abusive. It took HP Tuners over a year to crack the E99 and initial pricing was similar (and is now down to ~$2800).

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
None are useful without the tune. Like I posted above.

Port/Flex/Reflex = $3,000
Trans = $3,500 + core
Payn Tune =$2,000
Unlock = $5,000
Ecutek = $1,000

Nothing there is useful without the tune or unlock. I'm going to keep pushing the JB4 for now, we'll see if the price softens by spring.
Hey, I've been thinking about picking up a JB4 instead of running this JB+, but I really don't want another thing in life to monkey around with to get "right." I trust your opinion on this stuff. How much do you have to monkey around with it to get it "right" or can I throw cash at someone to do it "right" for me?

Involus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium Turbulence Grey
Hey, I've been thinking about picking up a JB4 instead of running this JB+, but I really don't want another thing in life to monkey around with to get "right." I trust your opinion on this stuff. How much do you have to monkey around with it to get it "right" or can I throw cash at someone to do it "right" for me?
Pretty sure @DaBears is the go to for JB4.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
None are useful without the tune. Like I posted above.

Port/Flex/Reflex = $3,000
Trans = $3,500 + core
Payn Tune =$2,000
Unlock = $5,000
Ecutek = $1,000

Nothing there is useful without the tune or unlock. I'm going to keep pushing the JB4 for now, we'll see if the price softens by spring.
Kudos to Visconti for figuring out another pathway (?) but yea, most people are going to make do with the JB4. Even the $2500 option for an OTS tune doesn't make much sense... isn't the Stage 2 OTS tune showing something like 450/550 on pump gas? You can get pretty close to that with the JB4, no? :dunno: Happy to be proven wrong but this doesn't seem economic just yet.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
@DaBears is the way to go for a custom JB4 setup. If you're running on 91 octane -> stay at map 1, 93 octane -> don't exceed map 2.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Pretty sure @DaBears is the go to for JB4.
This is right, but it really depends on how far you want to push it. My goals are clearly different that others, so I tweak it constantly. But I'm trying to shave 10ths off at the track.

Jesse will tune it for what your goals are. A decent E30 tune, with a 93 backup is fine if you don't wan to dick with it.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Kudos to Visconti for figuring out another pathway (?) but yea, most people are going to make do with the JB4. Even the $2500 option for an OTS tune doesn't make much sense... isn't the Stage 2 OTS tune showing something like 450/550 on pump gas? You can get pretty close to that with the JB4, no? :dunno: Happy to be proven wrong but this doesn't seem economic just yet.
I was talking to someone else that provides the same service (with the same process) and he ghosted me and at least one other forum member, presumably slurped up my Visconti.

Last edited:

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
@DaBears is the way to go for a custom JB4 setup. If you're running on 91 octane -> stay at map 1, 93 octane -> don't exceed map 2.
This is right, but it really depends on how far you want to push it. My goals are clearly different that others, so I tweak it constantly. But I'm trying to shave 10ths off at the track.

Jesse will tune it for what your goals are. A decent E30 tune, with a 93 backup is fine if you don't wan to dick with it.
Thank you both! Appreciate it.

Reactions: zrk

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Other than the pricing being absolutely robbery in broad daylight (in my opinion. They have a service that is in high demand so they can do what ever they want) did Visconti figure out how to unlock a locked ECU without sending it to mother Russia? I luckily dont need this service but I am really failing to understand if someone unlocks the ECU for the $2500 option what is to stop someone from using the OBD to upload a new tune from a different tuner? it seems like the ECU would be relocked and the only person who can upload through the OBD is Visconti.