Less than expected dyno results.

jRuN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, 2017 Ram 1500 Sport
All of my pulls, the shop did them in 6th...

1. I thought you typically dyno in the gear closest to 1:1 ?

2. If my pulls were done in 6th, what kind of change if any would I expect to see to the numbers if redone in 5th?

3. Now that my baseline and subsequent custom tune runs have been done in 6th, am I forever beholden to doing dyno pulls in 6th?

COLLINS

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
All of my pulls, the shop did them in 6th...

1. I thought you typically dyno in the gear closest to 1:1 ?

2. If my pulls were done in 6th, what kind of change if any would I expect to see to the numbers if redone in 5th?

3. Now that my baseline and subsequent custom tune runs have been done in 6th, am I forever beholden to doing dyno pulls in 6th?
It could just be an AT vs MT difference. In the AT 6th gear is 1:1, in the MT 5th gear is 1:1. You are correct though, dynos are typically run in the gear that is 1:1, or as close as possible, though technically it’s just math, so you can still calculate at a different ratio.

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT

It's not a big deal, so long as the operators got the gear ratios configured correctly. You do 1:1 because that's technically the most efficient gear ratio, but the difference is negligible and well within the margin of error.

Sometimes operators have to use a lower gear because the wheel speed at redline in the 1:1 gear is well over the top speed for the car.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Got the car dynod today after getting a JB4 installed on the map 1 configuration, and disappointingly it only pushed 352 whp on a 5th gear pull, and 344 on a 4th gear pull.

For reference I'm running a catless downpipe, cold air intake and the jb4 on map 1. I was expecting somewhere in the mid 400's but results showing less than advertised for a stock supra surprised me.

Unsure if there's something I did wrong or I had my expectations to high, or if anyone else has also had a dyno result similar to this after installation of modifications.

Yes we were in dyno mode on the car as well as sport mode. Any advice would be appreciated or things to check to see why the results might be lower would be awesome.
Post dyno chart and JB4 datalog. catless DP MUST be tuned for...

Turrizm

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR Supra in Stratosphere Blue
Also, what was octane of the gas? map 1 with downpipe seems conservative unless you have low octane gas I guess.

Hardac_

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
Listen to ColonelAdama, he knows his stuff. He helped me get to pretty good power with 415bhp and 456ftlb. This was during a rain storm with shop doors open, about high 70s, on 93 octane Shell pump gas.

The only thing I don't see often mentioned often in these threads is a different spark plug and gap recommended by BM, specifically a colder heat range plug with gap at 0.022".

Dyno_AVTuning_2022_Supra.jpg

Last edited:

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Listen to ColonelAdama, he knows his stuff. He helped me get to pretty good power, as posted, with 415bhp and 456ftlb. This was during a rain storm with shop doors open, about high 70s. This was on 93 octane Shell pump gas.

The only thing I don't see often mentioned often in these threads is a different spark plug and gap recommended by BM, specifically a colder heat range plug with gap at 0.022".

View attachment 122150
Thanks!

~40whp/~60wtq gains are pretty spot-on for JB4 on 93 octane. Of course it is only the gains that matter and not the overall number, as it is dyno dependent.

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
Try not to get too hung up on the numbers. I can’t tell you how many dyno numbers I’ve seen and the car reading the lower hp number be faster then the car with the higher numbers on paper. Every dyno seems to read a little differently. I agree with all of the above. The base line and end dyno tell you what you have accomplished with that set up.

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
I see you're in california. I'm assuming you only have 91octane fuel, and it's known that Cali 91 is worse than most. The numbers on dynojets don't vary that much in my experience other than potential elevation changes/compensation. My bet is your bad fuel quality is why you have low numbers.

I would check logs to make sure your car is handling the boost well before making any more changes. As easy as these cars are to mod, good quality fuel is key to making power, safely.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Without knowing what stock Supras make on that dyno any help will be difficult.

A local dyno shop consistently has stock Supras make 350whp/350wtq. With this in mind modded hp numbers will be lower than expected.

-RJM
Sponsored