Manual Supra pricing

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
When I think of Z4 owners the typical BMW owners come to mind; older people that just want a luxury cruiser.
Sponsored

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Yup, but based on that I don't think it's very likely. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think the audience for both cars seems to be very different. I have a feeling that a manual would be way more popular on the 3.0 Supra vs the Z4.

On a different note does anyone have break down of auto vs manual for the E89 Z4?
Toyota already has a 6 speed manual car, the GR86. Do they need a competing product?

The automatic cars now have paddles to shift, all the fun without the 3rd pedal. I can understand some people will still want to roll their own gears and get a pure sports car feel. But imagine this car with auto rev match technology, how neutered would that feel?

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Toyota already has a 6 speed manual car, the GR86. Do they need a competing product?

The automatic cars now have paddles to shift, all the fun without the 3rd pedal. I can understand some people will still want to roll their own gears and get a pure sports car feel. But imagine this car with auto rev match technology, how neutered would that feel?
You do know there is a huge price differences between the two. How does a $28k car compete with a $50k+ car? That's like saying the MK4 should have been auto only because because the Celica had a manual option.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You do know there is a huge price differences between the two. How does a $28k car compete with a $50k+ car? That's like saying the MK4 should have been auto only because because the Celica had a manual option.
I'm just saying these are low volume sports cars. GR86 for the younger manual shifting crowd, and the Supra for the older guys like you LOL

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
I'm just saying these are low volume sports cars. GR86 for the younger manual shifting crowd, and the Supra for the older guys like you LOL
No offense, but you may have that backward. I'm not sure the younger crowd is really the target market for a manual, it's mostly (not exclusively, please don't anyone flame me) the older crowd.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No offense, but you may have that backward. I'm not sure the younger crowd is really the target market for a manual, it's mostly (not exclusively, please don't anyone flame me) the older crowd.
You could be right, the older crowd probably the ones that knows how to drive the manual. But you know it's the same as the track cars, most don't even track them. The cars are sold based on "dreams". Dream of tracking a car, people go out and buy a track car.

With all the talk about manual cars now with the enthusiasts, younger guys will go and get one, even though they can't really drive it well

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Most of guys on the MK5 owner facebook group look like they're in the 30s-40s. :dunno:

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
If equipped, the auto Rev-Match would be the first thing I disable. A lifetime of rev-matching-muscle-memory would not jive with the computer suddenly doing it.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
You could be right, the older crowd probably the ones that knows how to drive the manual. But you know it's the same as the track cars, most don't even track them. The cars are sold based on "dreams". Dream of tracking a car, people go out and buy a track car.

With all the talk about manual cars now with the enthusiasts, younger guys will go and get one, even though they can't really drive it well
Recently I was tempted to pull the trigger on an M2 Comp with a 6MT...really tempted. While there are unrelated reasons why I didn't, part of me has to be honest that my fond memories of my last manual car 16 years ago are likely to fade very quickly once faced with the reality of one on a daily commute (yes, I don't buy cars for weekends...no offense to those who do).

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
If equipped, the auto Rev-Match would be the first thing I disable. A lifetime of rev-matching-muscle-memory would not jive with the computer suddenly doing it.
It depends how they implement it but on the cars I've driven that have auto rev matching, it's completely unobtrusive. You can still manually rev match and the computer will do what it needs to if you don't hit the correct rpm perfectly.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Yup, but based on that I don't think it's very likely. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think the audience for both cars seems to be very different. I have a feeling that a manual would be way more popular on the 3.0 Supra vs the Z4.

On a different note does anyone have break down of auto vs manual for the E89 Z4?
i dont have the numbers in front of me but going by used for sale ads i believe the highest rate of manuals in Z4s are with the E85/E86. i think the majority of E89s are auto.

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
it's the same as the track cars, most don't even track them. The cars are sold based on "dreams". Dream of tracking a car, people go out and buy a track car.
But those cone scuffs ...

goodshot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Not that anyone cares but after looking at several cars and waiting for Toyota to announce a manual I went with an 06 manual V8 Vantage.

Hopefully they announce the stick supra soon for those waiting on it.
Sponsored