JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
Oof

So let me get this straight. The Z has the same peak whp, significantly less torque, weighs 2-300 lbs more, has worse suspension, god awful interior, and costs basically the same amount? Did I get all that right?

Unless you're talking about the base model Z, in which case you do save $10k, but you get shitty brakes, an even worse interior, and you don't even get a limited slip. I'm wondering how many base Zs will actually be built as well, it could be like the base trim 3.0 Supra which doesn't seem to actually exist in reality, just as a marketing point so they can say the price "starts at X".
Nope... its worse. It has same base hp as stock 2020. About 40hp less than the 2021. Honestly, given the weight and dyno the Z does pretty well.

99% positive that if you put it on the same tires it'd still be .2s behind. Any of you Z lurkers with a deposit on one want to test that out and are in central Florida let me know and I'll sell you my stock tires for cheap in the name of science.

Granted, how many of us are stock anyways. Can't wait for a Z to line up against at the track or some pulls on YouTube.
Sponsored

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Tungsten
Wait, someone actually put a new Z on a dyno? Did they do the AT as well?
AMS Posted on their FB page. And quickly took it down when people noticed they were comparing a stock 2020, and claimed they couldn't get a 2021.

Chgu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2013 FR-S
AMS Posted on their FB page. And quickly took it down when people noticed they were comparing a stock 2020, and claimed they couldn't get a 2021.
I'm happy to volunteer my stock 2021 for any side by side dyno testing in SoCal. I don't think my little duckbill or Maxton aero bits add any power lol

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nope... its worse. It has same base hp as stock 2020. About 40hp less than the 2021. Honestly, given the weight and dyno the Z does pretty well.

99% positive that if you put it on the same tires it'd still be .2s behind. Any of you Z lurkers with a deposit on one want to test that out and are in central Florida let me know and I'll sell you my stock tires for cheap in the name of science.

Granted, how many of us are stock anyways. Can't wait for a Z to line up against at the track or some pulls on YouTube.
Yeah, there's really just no way for a car that weighs 2-300lbs more, make 40 less whp, 50-60 less wtq to win either in a drag race or a roll race.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
99% positive that if you put it on the same tires it'd still be .2s behind.
I suspect it would be even slower. I know the reviewer in that video was dogging on the Z's tires, but the Potenza S007 are better tires than the Pilot Super Sport. They're rated higher for dry traction and have more aggressive compound/treadwear. Stick a set of PSSs on the Z and it'll probably be 0.3s behind.

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm happy to volunteer my stock 2021 for any side by side dyno testing in SoCal. I don't think my little duckbill or Maxton aero bits add any power lol
We know those aero parts gives at least 20whp. lol j/k

But yeah maybe you can hit up AMS and offer it, so they can't make the same excuse. Conspiracy theorists think they are ramping up to appeal to the new Z guys because they know it'll be a huge market (esp after they get gapped by Supras regularly)

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
We know those aero parts gives at least 20whp. lol j/k

But yeah maybe you can hit up AMS and offer it, so they can't make the same excuse. Conspiracy theorists think they are ramping up to appeal to the new Z guys because they know it'll be a huge market (esp after they get gapped by Supras regularly)
100% not mad at them, I'm looking forward to seeing how people mod them.

It's close enough to be in the conversation. Mod for mod I'd say Supra. But I'm sure there will be plenty of look at this fbo, tune, tire and e Z destroy this stock Supra lol. What I'm wondering is how well that auto holds up to mods.

Also can't wait for some track (the kind with corners) comparisons.

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
100% not mad at them, I'm looking forward to seeing how people mod them.

It's close enough to be in the conversation. Mod for mod I'd say Supra. But I'm sure there will be plenty of look at this fbo, tune, tire and e Z destroy this stock Supra lol. What I'm wondering is how well that auto holds up to mods.

Also can't wait for some track (the kind with corners) comparisons.
For sure, those vids will be coming as soon as it people start getting them.

And I agree, I'm actually curious how the track tests will be as there aren't any yet comparing hot laps.

Chgu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2013 FR-S
Camissa says has has lap times in his pocket, and will have a video coming out soon showing the Z on track.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I wouldn't be surprised if that drag race video was with a 2020 as well.

ndriver13

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'm curious why there's only one drag race video. Anybody have insight into that? I imagine others would have done the same if Nissan allowed it.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I'm curious why there's only one drag race video. Anybody have insight into that? I imagine others would have done the same if Nissan allowed it.
Because the biased YouTube hype train wouldn't want to show things to go against their "expert" opinions.

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wow… I was just banned from the Z forums for posting that dyno sheet on the “Nissan Z vs. Toyota Supra” thread…

They are either really sensitive over there or are trying their best to do damage control. Pathetic lmao 😂
Well after 2 years of "SuPrA KiLleR" narrative, they have a lot of egg on their face.
Sponsored