A91-MT CLUTCH GONE💀☠️😵🏴‍☠️🪦

sstevecc82

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
This has been a somewhat common issue (few mentioned having something like this happen to them) with the manual as well. Both clutch and shifter malfunctions are unacceptable for the Supra to have. Just figured I’d share this for the peeps here as I know i saw the info mentioned in another thread without any photos or videos.

If Toyota/BMW gets enough repairs/parts that failed under similar circumstances, their engineers would take look at those failed parts and decide if parts need to be replaced with updated parts.
Sponsored

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
This has been a somewhat common issue (few mentioned having something like this happen to them) with the manual as well. Both clutch and shifter malfunctions are unacceptable for the Supra to have. Just figured I’d share this for the peeps here as I know i saw the info mentioned in another thread without any photos or videos.

Misnomer. It isn't brown. Just a function of how the shifter is designed. You pop it back in and move on.

This happened in BMW cars too because (shocker) it's the same setup.

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Misnomer. It isn't brown. Just a function of how the shifter is designed. You pop it back in and move on.

This happened in BMW cars too because (shocker) it's the same setup.
If it’s brown flush it down! 💩

Sorry @6SPDA91 I had to… 😀

xkyo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra MT prem/2020 AG Taco Pro/Model Y perform

i have not had any issues with the shifter, even if i tried to pull it out. I may have dainty hands and the car seems to prefer hands my size considering the actual knob size. Some of yall be having big ass dried up hideous hands and beating it without lube aint gonna help much. I'm way more concerned about all ya'll wheel gaps more than the clutch.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Clearly the shift knob assemble wasn't installed correctly at the factory on the assembly line. Good to know but, big deal an assembly issue. It happens. If only all assembly line issues were this easy to fix.

Phil

OP
OP
GRSupraPR

GRSupraPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 2023, Tacoma TRD PRO 2022
Soooo, a Porsche clutch replacement cost is somehow less than a BMW?

I've actually never had an aquarium. I just haven't used that word in a while and felt pretty sure nobody that owns a Z would understand it.
Nope is more!!!! At least I can brag with a clutch replacement happy and expected. In a toyota doesn't have the same effect.
Soooo, a Porsche clutch replacement cost is somehow less than a BMW?

I've actually never had an aquarium. I just haven't used that word in a while and felt pretty sure nobody that owns a Z would understand it.
Nope is more!!!! At least I can brag with a clutch replacement happy because is expected from a Porsche owner. In a toyota doesn't have the same effect.

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
Over 2 decades of driving MT I have never come across a case where a manufacturer will not replace free of charge (parts + labour) when an engine or a clutch fails due to defects.

We don't know you, your driving style and how much experience you have with MT, OP. Hell, maybe you dump the clutch at 6k every stop light (not to say it actually happens) or you constantly ride the clutch while cruising on the highway.

It's not doing anyone any favour by blaming Toyota and ZF over the design when you never filled in the information on what the service department had found on the clutch and why they rejected your warranty claim.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Nope is more!!!! At least I can brag with a clutch replacement happy and expected. In a toyota doesn't have the same effect.

Nope is more!!!! At least I can brag with a clutch replacement happy because is expected from a Porsche owner. In a toyota doesn't have the same effect.
Now you're making me wonder if your driving abilities are as bad as your internet forum skills ;)

semantics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT

I've never been so aggressive with a shifter, nor have I ever seen someone be so aggressive, and I've been driving manuals for going on two decades. That shifter is perfectly secure, it's just ridiculous and not intended to be yanked upwards so hard.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
That's reasonable for a dealership and it being a BMW.

I'm sure there will be some solutions soon enough.
Reasonable but not after the fact - as many buyers had zero idea what the cost would be. Its not a BMW. Its a Toyota with BMW sourced parts. More than likely at BMW it would be more potentially. Reality is now hitting some people about this version of the Supra w/ Manual gearbox. Its more costly to maintain. After market clutch could be less expensive but thats not just around the corner yet.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
Reasonable but not after the fact - as many buyers had zero idea what the cost would be. Its not a BMW. Its a Toyota with BMW sourced parts. More than likely at BMW it would be more potentially. Reality is now hitting some people about this version of the Supra w/ Manual gearbox. Its more costly to maintain. After market clutch could be less expensive but thats not just around the corner yet.
Nah it's a BMW through and through. Every part has a BMW stamp on it, it's a BMW. That's not a bad thing, actually personally is the only reason why I bought the damn car.

Toyota is not capable of dealing with BMW type/level requests is what's happening. I agree that in an actual BMW dealership, they would probably cover this under warranty or at least eat the majority of the cost.

But the servicing for this car has always been a blunder basically because it goes like this:

Customer takes Supra to Toyota for service - Tech trained via BMW/Toyota on the car works on car - Issue arises, can't figure it out - Car gets sent to a BMW dealership where they inspect the thing further - If it's fixed, gets sent back to Toyota - Customer picks up the thing

This has happened many times. Probably not documented but I know a lot of BMW techs (look at my signature, I've been doing this for 20 years) and they see Supras at BMW dealerships often.

It will be more costly to own due to consumables, and one of those is a clutch. Just the way it is.

But still in agreement that they should have goodwilled this one.

OP
OP
GRSupraPR

GRSupraPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 2023, Tacoma TRD PRO 2022
Only thing I can think of is that, the dealership found that those parts are abused by a customer. You should ask them for pictures, if those parts are ok and have normal wear. Contact toyota customer service and explain to them what's going on.
Not the case!!

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
This thread reminds me of the junk 370Z's CSC issue.. I hated that car near the end. :crazy:

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
Aftermarket clutches sound great but extra drive train shock on this platform is something to consider. With the way the b58 makes tons of low end torque keeping drivetrain happy past 550+ wheel tq will be challenging. Ask the guys replacing the driveline guibos, axles, and rear diffs on the autos.
Sponsored