Brake Fluid service @ 10k miles????

3rdGearEvo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 2003 Evo VIII
Just got this message in the beginning of this month. Original owner 2020 with a build date of 6/19 and at 9,100 miles but I’m just at the 36 month mark. I opened the cap to the fluid reservoir and the fluid was at the correct level but has a yellowish hue to it. I plan to get ahold of some test strips to see if it really needs changing. Will post back with results
Sponsored

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0
Just got this message in the beginning of this month. Original owner 2020 with a build date of 6/19 and at 9,100 miles but I’m just at the 36 month mark. I opened the cap to the fluid reservoir and the fluid was at the correct level but has a yellowish hue to it. I plan to get ahold of some test strips to see if it really needs changing. Will post back with results
I'm also a 3 year owner and got my brake fluid done. Albeit for free cause my dealership messed up on the software recall update. They said mine had a hue to it as well.

Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
wondering if this is just a timed service for the vehicle

Mehster

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra, 2009 Jeep Wrangler
I'm an original 2020 with about 15.5k miles. This is just on a timer. Mine came up about a month back as well. The dealer inspected the brake system and said no change/service needed at this time and they reset the timer.

SupraJay

First Name
Jasson
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra MKV
Seems to be that most 2020s will be getting the same warning then since it’s on a timer. I got mine as well about a week ago at 17K and it’s one of the early 2020 models

3rdGearEvo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I went ahead and ordered a brake fluid tester on amazon for less than $20 Here. I threw some batteries in it and went out to the garage. I had some old crappy brake fluid from a previous fluid change on another vehicle, so I tested the tester and it seemed to be accurate with the old fluid. I then stuck it in the Supra reservoir and the tester showed the fluid had no traces of water. I will forego the fluid change for another year and test it the next time I do an oil change. Again, this was a 2020 with 9,100 miles used primarily in spring, summer, and fall in NYC.
39337064-08D7-4103-9182-F334135A3425.jpeg
3E2A56C3-E1F8-4291-BD53-B5F78808DD36.jpeg
C9B9F8FA-3A54-43FF-B03B-AAC1237C82CB.jpeg

Last edited:

Lisafstar

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota supra gt 2020
Same shit, different horse. I have the same thing. (9,560 kms on it)

Uh yeah! This is BASIC maintenance. Check fluid!! Weekly! Easy

Oh and change the fluid per BMW! Warranty protection to follow the book eh??

Don’t look for shortcuts on your maintenance. Be an adult and do it right!

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Just got brake fluid service light @ ~12,000miles / 2.5yrs...Brake fluid is fine and simply reset going into diagnostic mode...

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I bought a tester but it couldn't get past the mesh screen near the top of the master cylinder oh well

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
If you brake heavily and repeatedly or live in the mountains, you may have to flush it more often. If tracking, DOT4 fluid would be best and flush before or after each session would make sense. However, no one is going to boil their OEM brake fluid from just driving around town. So simply add more if needed. Just like @razorlab said :thumbsup:

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor
My local dealership says that they can’t flush the fluid without connecting the car to the computer and ultimately resetting the ecu (no go for me on my unlocked and tuned 2020). Doesn’t sound right to me.

Can anyone confirm whether this is the case or is this just another data point on how incompetent Toyota dealers are with these cars?

I only went there for a free only change I had as part of toyotacare or whatever. I’m about to just take it to my local performance shop and swap to 5W-X0 and some Motul brake fluid and be done with the Toyota dealer experience forever.

3rdGearEvo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My local dealership says that they can’t flush the fluid without connecting the car to the computer and ultimately resetting the ecu (no go for me on my unlocked and tuned 2020). Doesn’t sound right to me.

Can anyone confirm whether this is the case or is this just another data point on how incompetent Toyota dealers are with these cars?

I only went there for a free only change I had as part of toyotacare or whatever. I’m about to just take it to my local performance shop and swap to 5W-X0 and some Motul brake fluid and be done with the Toyota dealer experience forever.
If I were you, I’d avoid the dealership at all costs. I’m in the same boat as you with a tuned 2020 and there are very few reasons I’d ever consider going to a dealership for pretty much anything at all. Any vehicle’s brake fluid can be flushed and changed without hooking the car to a computer. I’d take it to your local tuner shop if they’re reputable and not worry about getting your ecu locked
Sponsored