High turnover on MKV Supras?

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
I'm not sure if you call it a high turn over.. just checked the auto trader and out of 1000+ supra listed, only about 200+was used. I'm pretty sure some of it are new but listed as used to attract customer. mine was listed as "used" last year although it was new.

however, listed price is a lot higher than what I paid for.. In other word, I can make profit if I sell mine today. If I hadn't done to protect mine against element, I would've sell it and get a new 2021 supra since I don't see need for "tuning" it.

many people has many different reasons but people who are selling may also be taking profit for one reason. but 20% used out of all listed for sale and less than 2% of all sale, I don't think it's high turn over.
I just saw that, is amazing, used 2020 with 10k miles in the 52k~55k range. I do wonder if the car will hold the value.
Sponsored

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I just saw that, is amazing, used 2020 with 10k miles in the 52k~55k range. I do wonder if the car will hold the value.
it's a bit special occasion.. there were steep discount on 2020 last year. I doubt it will hold value in mid-term. in a long term /w low miles, yes. As a short term, it's holding it very well.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
The reasons are all over the place. IIRC one guy here kept hurting his back getting in and out of it. Another said only after a week or so his wife made him take it back and another guy lost his job.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
My daily was a 2013 Scion FRS 10 series. Loved that little thing, it was a hoot to drive around ringing out the gears. Then you'd look over and you're still going as fast as traffic, so no tickets.

Practicality-wise, the rear seats were useless to me in the FRS, the A/C sucked at stoplights, traffic sucks in this area, and my dog didn't care for the shifting. Now the Supra, hauls all my groceries, the A/C at full blast can actually make my dog shiver, and I care a whole lot less about really bad traffic with the adaptive cruise control and auto. It hurts but the dog also likes the automatic shifts a whole lot more. So for me, I chose the Supra because it was the more practical car.

Obviously, your mileage may vary. I've driven sporty impractical 2 seaters my entire life so what I consider 'practical' is horribly skewed. So if you're were going from something that was a lot more practical than a FRS/BRZ you might not agree with that assessment.

turbopk

First Name
Pk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 ford edge(DD)
And what happens when a "customer" going on a "test drive" and after ripping it for 40 miles (geeez!) decides they don't want it?I'm not going to buy a new car with racked up mileage because other people thought it was okay to take it for more than a couple miles.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Hell, I'd say scenarios like this are why dealers are hesitant to allow test drives in the first place.
Salesmen do it just as much as customers.

orvillesd

First Name
Orville
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2018 Civic Type R
There really shouldn't be any concern with the Supra unless it's your only daily driver. The limitations of it soon become apparent and I'm sure there's plenty of posts about that.

For me, the biggest problem I had with it is that its a BMW and their were not many Toyota techs available in my area to service it. It was really inconvenient to have it stay over night and basically work around their techs schedule. I could've gotten same day/hour service with my old FRS for a freaking oil change. Again, this is only a problem when its your only daily.

Otherwise, its a great car. It's a head turner, great performance (if you have good tires on), and just overall it feels "special".

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
My daily was a 2013 Scion FRS 10 series. Loved that little thing, it was a hoot to drive around ringing out the gears. Then you'd look over and you're still going as fast as traffic, so no tickets.

Practicality-wise, the rear seats were useless to me in the FRS, the A/C sucked at stoplights, traffic sucks in this area, and my dog didn't care for the shifting. Now the Supra, hauls all my groceries, the A/C at full blast can actually make my dog shiver, and I care a whole lot less about really bad traffic with the adaptive cruise control and auto. It hurts but the dog also likes the automatic shifts a whole lot more. So for me, I chose the Supra because it was the more practical car.

Obviously, your mileage may vary. I've driven sporty impractical 2 seaters my entire life so what I consider 'practical' is horribly skewed. So if you're were going from something that was a lot more practical than a FRS/BRZ you might not agree with that assessment.
This is so true. The AC in my BRZ sucked! I'd be sweating inside the car down here in South Florida with the AC on!

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)

I think for a single person the new Supra is reasonably practical. You aren't going to move any furniture with it; however, city driving, highway driving, groceries, errands, etc are all within this car's capability.

I drove this car across the US, literally. From San Diego to Norfolk, it's comfortable and gets amazing gas mileage for a car that makes 400+ at the crank (32.5 MPG at 81 MPH with cruise control).

My only complaints about this car are the door opening detents, front windshield visibility, overall blind-spots, and lack of a rear trunk latch button. I wish the door stopped halfway between the 1st and 2nd detent. It would make getting into and out of the car much easier when a car is parked next to you. The front windshield should be a tad bit higher for looking at stop-lights, there is no visibility for looking behind you and the a-pillar often blocks cars at a stop sign (expect to move your head a bunch when navigating busy street traffic).

All of this is forgivable to me, but the lack of a rear trunk latch button is criminal. Despite all of that, I find this car about as practical for a single person as the 2015 Nissan Altima I drove before it.

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
I think for a single person the new Supra is reasonably practical. You aren't going to move any furniture with it; however, city driving, highway driving, groceries, errands, etc are all within this car's capability.
Exactly. I can even carry my skis inside the car. Back seats in sports cars are useless anyways so in exchange you get a slightly bigger trunk in the Supra. This isn't any less practical than say an 86/BRZ.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and have been considering purchasing a MKV Supra. However, I've noticed that there are a lot of these cars on the used car market with people selling them less than a year after initial purchase, and sometimes even before the break in period is complete (<1200 miles).

As current or previous owners, do you all have any thoughts on why this may be?
It's a sports car. Like others have said, the people who buy these cars often: 1) just keep them for a little while before moving on to the next thing they want to be seen in; 2) make an impulse buy they regret; 3) or buy as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th car so it is the first to go if the owner is financially over-extended. Very rarely is it an issue with the car so much as the owner. When I was cross-shopping ZLEs, you would very frequently see 2018-2019 cars with less than say, 10K miles with 2, 3, 4 owners. Any other kind of car that would be a big red flag.

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
I'm on the fence about selling my 21 with less than 5k miles, mostly because I'm moving to the middle of a big city and I already stress over my car getting scratched, broken into, etc with all the attention it gets. My stress would be sent into overdrive and idk if I could tolerate it since it's already high as is lmao. I might just trade it for a car that can be more abused until I move back to a suburban kind of area in like 20 years (or until I get rich enough that I can go through cars like they're nothing).

But also I want a 2020 model. So either way I expect it's time with me will be short.

OP
OP
STSGT3

STSGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Have you considered boosting your BRZ? I'd imagine even with low boost and 300whp it would be a blast!
I have considered it, but if I was to turbocharge it, I'd want to do it properly. I know with low boost and ~300hp, it should be ok, but the rods are a weak point on the FA20 motors, and I'd want to upgrade the internals before going that route for reliability purposes. Also, I just love the look of the mkv

OP
OP
STSGT3

STSGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I'm not sure if you call it a high turn over.. just checked the auto trader and out of 1000+ supra listed, only about 200+was used. I'm pretty sure some of it are new but listed as used to attract customer. mine was listed as "used" last year although it was new.

however, listed price is a lot higher than what I paid for.. In other word, I can make profit if I sell mine today. If I hadn't done to protect mine against element, I would've sell it and get a new 2021 supra since I don't see need for "tuning" it.

many people has many different reasons but people who are selling may also be taking profit for one reason. but 20% used out of all listed for sale and less than 2% of all sale, I don't think it's high turn over.
Fair point, I was only searching within a 200 mile radius, and at that point, its about 50% of all listed were used.

It's a sports car. Like others have said, the people who buy these cars often: 1) just keep them for a little while before moving on to the next thing they want to be seen in; 2) make an impulse buy they regret; 3) or buy as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th car so it is the first to go if the owner is financially over-extended. Very rarely is it an issue with the car so much as the owner. When I was cross-shopping ZLEs, you would very frequently see 2018-2019 cars with less than say, 10K miles with 2, 3, 4 owners. Any other kind of car that would be a big red flag.
All fair points though. Chris's (@VA90) post seems to summarize everyone's feedback very well. I guess I had always looked at it from my own perspective. I personally make calculated purchase decisions, and practically is usually never an issue, having always owned at least one sports car, and having other vehicles to serve for family/utility purposes.

I think the main thing I wanted to be certain of was that the issue was not a common pain point with the car itself, which was causing people to sell after a certain time. As others mentioned, getting in and out, or lack of exterior trunk release button are all pain points, but nothing to deter from purchasing. I was curious if there was something more "critical?", which appears there is not based on the feedback.

I really do appreciate everyone's feedback though! Members on this forum are very helpful, as opposed to other forums I've been members of in the past!

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7

I drove this car across the US, literally. From San Diego to Norfolk, it's comfortable and gets amazing gas mileage for a car that makes 400+ at the crank (32.5 MPG at 81 MPH with cruise control).

My only complaints about this car are the door opening detents, front windshield visibility, overall blind-spots, and lack of a rear trunk latch button. I wish the door stopped halfway between the 1st and 2nd detent. It would make getting into and out of the car much easier when a car is parked next to you. The front windshield should be a tad bit higher for looking at stop-lights, there is no visibility for looking behind you and the a-pillar often blocks cars at a stop sign (expect to move your head a bunch when navigating busy street traffic).

All of this is forgivable to me, but the lack of a rear trunk latch button is criminal. Despite all of that, I find this car about as practical for a single person as the 2015 Nissan Altima I drove before it.
I made 400 wheel on my stock dyno run.
Lol, I have to do this stupid peek under move to see stop lights. Glad it's not just me.

As for the hatch button, I've been trying to get Bimmertech to develop a solution. They're just not sure if the interest is there to be worth their time yet. So by all means feel free to e-mail them and tell them you want it too!

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
I made 400 wheel on my stock dyno run.
Lol, I have to do this stupid peek under move to see stop lights. Glad it's not just me.

As for the hatch button, I've been trying to get Bimmertech to develop a solution. They're just not sure if the interest is there to be worth their time yet. So by all means feel free to e-mail them and tell them you want it too!
The peek under stop light move is critical, lol.

I'm always extremely happy when I come across stop lights that have the extra side light indicators.
I'm not sure who they're designed for, but they're fantastic.
Sponsored