Driving Mode Poll: Which mode do you guys drive your Supras the most? Normal or Sport?

In which mode do you drive your Supra the most?

• Total voters

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
What exactly does Sport+ add?
Transmission: Slightly longer rev hold with quicker downshifts, at least per my butt dyno.

Engine: More pops/crackles and a "touchier" throttle response.

Note: Sport+ is not configurable like Sport (Individual).
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I meant to type launch control, not launch mode... my brain sputters at times.. especially when my wife asks where all the snacks went.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I am in sports mode and manual shift mode all the time. But my 'all the time' only adds up to 1200 miles in a year so perhaps my car is in Park all the time..
1200 miles a year? lol

I did 1200 in 3 weeks. The MKV is too much fun to watch it sit in a garage.

-RJM

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
You do you. :thumbsup:

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
Transmission: Slightly longer rev hold with quicker downshifts, at least per my butt dyno.

Engine: More pops/crackles and a "touchier" throttle response.

Note: Sport+ is not configurable like Sport (Individual).
thanks. On my X3MC Iā€™ve got Comfort, Sport, and Sport +. Iā€™ve never used the sport mode.

For me itā€™s all on or all off!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
1200 miles a year? lol

I did 1200 in 3 weeks. The MKV is too much fun to watch it sit in a garage.

-RJM
That's identical to my first three-week milage. At week 6 it's still at 1300 miles. It's been shitty out.

Mehster

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra, 2009 Jeep Wrangler
I have 10k on my 2020 and I've been in manual sport mode probably like 95% of the time. The only time I drive in normal is when I'm coming home at night in my neighborhood and trying to be respectful or on a road trip. So far no problems and I'm about to do my second Toyota Care maintenance. I'll check back in if they find anything, but I expect she will be just fine...

polaris

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2017 Corolla iM
I keep the engine and steering in sport all the time. Damping and transmission follows if I want to have some fun.

Had the engine in sport mode pretty much 100% of the time during the break-in period (still followed the manual otherwise), should I worry about any increased wear?

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I start in Comfort Mode then once engine and transmission reach operating temps its all Sport from there.

For some reason in Sport Mode the ZF likes to hold onto 3rd like a Texas red ant on the nads.

-RJM
I initially drive in Normal until everything's warmed up then switch to Sport. But I've been enjoying Sport+ now that I've coded for it and configured Sport Individual with normal settings on all but steering for around town.

I kick back into Normal when on the highway cruising.
I've been wondering about this - I was looking at coding the car to startup in Sport mode, but was kind of hesitant as I have also heard it is best to let the car reach operating temperatures before pushing it hard - which is easier in normal mode. Any opinions on this?

Related: Does anyone know if starting in Sport mode has any effect on the startup engine rev? Or does that pretty much sound the same regardless of mode?

Also, in terms of customizing Sport Individual mode, does anyone know which settings specifically control the following:
  • Louder exhaust / extra pops and burbles
  • Rev-matched engine braking
Definitely considering coding Sports+ so I can switch Sport Individual to something that has Sport exhaust acoustics + the engine braking, but otherwise normal. Maybe using that setting as startup mode too?

Finally, while we are on the topic of care and feeding - I've occasionally heard people say they let the car idle for 30-60 seconds before shutting it off to let the turbo cool down. Is this actually something that matters on this car, or just habit from older turbo vehicles?

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I've been wondering about this - I was looking at coding the car to startup in Sport mode, but was kind of hesitant as I have also heard it is best to let the car reach operating temperatures before pushing it hard - which is easier in normal mode. Any opinions on this?
I have mine set to start in the configuration it was in when turned off last. I solely run sport with VSC fully off. I always wait for temps before driving at all. Itā€™s easy, just start the car and do a once over check on tires, suspension, engine bay, gauges. In about 5 minutes itā€™s reached temp and good to drive.
Related: Does anyone know if starting in Sport mode has any effect on the startup engine rev? Or does that pretty much sound the same regardless of mode?
On my end it doesnā€™t appear to change the engine rev on startup, just the tone. Itā€™s still going to start and idle in 1st gear regardless of sport button settings. All the sport button does is actuate the valves in the exhaust and change the gearing to be punchier/longer 1-6th for a more aggressive driving experience.

Finally, while we are on the topic of care and feeding - I've occasionally heard people say they let the car idle for 30-60 seconds before shutting it off to let the turbo cool down. Is this actually something that matters on this car, or just habit from older turbo vehicles?
This is a habit I follow from other turbo vehicles/performance vehicles Iā€™ve driven in the past. Whenever I drive the car super hard, i.e; Track, pulls, racing, I never immediately shut it down once coming to a stop. Iā€™ll sit and let it idle first for about 2 minutes and then shut down. For normal driving, you should be alright to shut down immediately. For me it varies, I tend to still wait until itā€™s had a chance to just idle, especially if itā€™s hot out and I can hear my fans going full blast when parking the car.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
I practice exactly that. Drive in Normal mode till engine oil reaches 95C, keeping revs below 2500rpm. That way all the components get warmed up. I wait for the initial cold start high rev idle to settle, then set off.

I think you could drive moderately in sport mode, but I guess also depends on the commute route. Mine has lots of traffic lights, perfect for a warm up drive.

I donā€™t hear much difference on start up. I notice the exhaust burble on warm start ups versus cold, and on both normal/sport mode. So I personally donā€™t bother with sport mode start ups. Iā€™ve heard keeping the exhaust valve closed helps the cat reach operating temps anyway. I use Bimmerlink to open the exos valve once start up idle settles.

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
I drive in normal mode unless I'm having fun...or merging with traffic. I'll toggle to sport and use the manual shifting to have fun or go on a peppy drive. When I'm back in regular traffic I go to normal mode. If I'm merging in traffic or just moving in traffic the Sport mode and leaving the transmission in auto works great for that purpose...after the merging or traffic negotiating is over....back to normal.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I have mine in sport mode 100% of the time, and manual 95% of the time. Itā€™s easy to take it easy on warmup with it in manual mode whether or not youā€™re in sport.
Sponsored